My Route For A Week Down South.

andyg

Looks like a plan to me. Everyone has their own ideas so you get different views. we were very impressed with the pub at Rockland and of course Surlingham Ferry is very good. 

we've stayed at the Premier Nelson but always use the one on Duke Street now. Much nicer hotel IMHO and very quiet - rooms have secondary glazing. 

The traffic on Riverside Road next to the yacht station does quieten down later into the evening but probably better to avoid Friday, Saturdays. Part of Commissioners Cut looked to be fenced off when we passed last month. You will get a certain amount of traffic through Thorpe. 

Beccles Old Bridge can get a reasonable clearance in summer at low tide. I've seen 9 feet there. The is quite a big rise and fall so I wouldn't rule it out. Just check the tides carefully and don't get stuck at the other side waiting for the tide to drop again!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Just check the tides carefully and don't get stuck at the other side waiting for the tide to drop again!

That's a fair comment although Golden Bridge only needs about 6 foot 9 so there's a fair window either side of low water.

2 hours ago, andyg said:

We stayed at the Nelson( premier inn )a few times last year. We often sat out on the patio area next to the river at the end of the night. It's still very busy along there at 11/12 o'clock at night. I'm a light sleeper so I don't think I'd get a good night's sleep staying at the yacht station. Hopefully we can get under the bridge at Thorpe. I'd love to stay there for the night. 

I’ve not found it difficult to get to sleep when moored in Norwich, but the traffic starts up again about 5 and always wakes me.

In the late 70s early 80s we hired Thunderbolt from Alph Craft. We went under Beccles Old bridge on the Saturday. We moored outside the Waveney House Hotel. On the Sunday morning we woke to an exceptionally high tide which continued rising throughout the day. The river over spilled and flooded the marshes on the opposite bank. We had to move from outside the Hotel and were provided with a safer mooring at Arrow Boats, a little further upstream. With the assistance of Aston Boats, Alpha Craft engineers and a falling tide we managed to get back through the bridge on the following Friday evening.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

That's a fair comment although Golden Bridge only needs about 6 foot 9 so there's a fair window either side of low water.

I think we should be ok, I've checked the tides. But like with all plans I do have a plan b. 

46 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I’ve not found it difficult to get to sleep when moored in Norwich, but the traffic starts up again about 5 and always wakes me.

From what I remember and what I've seen. It's more the groups of pedestrians rather then the traffic, that would keep me awake. I'm normally up around 5am ( even on holiday unfortunately) so the early morning thing wouldn't bother me. 

• Like 1