My Route For A Week Down South.

andyg

Fri takeover day stay at acle/ stokesby 

Sat early start, overnight stay at Somerleyton.

Sunday Oulton broad then Beccles onto geldstone overnight stop.

Mon brundal overnight stay at Rockland St Mary's.

Tues Norwich, sightseeing.

Wed Loddon possibly Reedham or the berney Arms overnight stop.

Thurs slow plod back towards acle. 

All doable in a week, we enjoying cruising and we have everything aboard we'll need. No point wasting daylight hours. Big plus for me a whole week afloat and not a lathams or Roy's will be visited lol...

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Karizma said:

Great week planned - hope the weather is kind for you.

We will hopefully be down next weekend, so might see you on the river ..... or in The Wherry :default_beerchug:

Oh were not out for a few weeks yet, just got my planning head on. 

Just now, andyg said:

I genuinely didn't know that..let's just keep it to ourselves, she dosent need to know.

Even worse, it’s like lots of the different Hoveton Roy’s stores rolled into one: groceries, gardening, DIY and clothes under one roof.

The good news is that it’s the far side of the main shopping centre from the yacht station, so it’s only taken me 8 years of Broads holidays to find it. Not that I was looking hard. I just stumbled across it when I was looking for a pet shop. Came out of the pet shop and realised that the car park opposite was Roy’s.

Just don’t let your wife go wandering around Beccles in search of pet treats or swan food, and you’ll be safe.

:default_coat:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Even worse, it’s like lots of the different Hoveton Roy’s stores rolled into one: groceries, gardening, DIY and clothes under one roof.

The good news is that it’s the far side of the main shopping centre from the yacht station, so it’s only taken me 8 years of Broads holidays to find it. Not that I was looking hard. I just stumbled across it when I was looking for a pet shop. Came out of the pet shop and realised that the car park opposite was Roy’s.

Just don’t let your wife go wandering around Beccles in search of pet treats or swan food, and you’ll be safe.

:default_coat:

See that's the thing, my wife isn't really into doing the shopping thing, until it come to places like lathams or gift shops. She seems to have some kind of mental breakdown and just goes crazy. We went to dunns river falls in Jamaica a few years back. We were the only couple on the boat to come away with a $10 jerk chicken gift set. I told her I could buy the same thing in asda for 1.99 she wasn't having any off it lol. I start to get a nervous twitch everytime we go anywhere near hoverton or potter now. I've even started hiring smaller boats so she hasn't got space to fill up with cr..p. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Looks like a good plan, Andy. My own preference would be Oulton rather than Somerleyton for Saturday. I don't find Somerleyton that interesting, to be honest or maybe I'm missing something?

Then again, if you stop at Oulton Broad Yacht Station, there's actually a very nice gift shop just along the road....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Looks like a good plan, Andy. My own preference would be Oulton rather than Somerleyton for Saturday. I don't find Somerleyton that interesting, to be honest or maybe I'm missing something?

Then again, if you stop at Oulton Broad Yacht Station, there's actually a very nice gift shop just along the road....

Stop it, your start my twitch going. Note to self.....avoid Oulton broad at all costs....

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, andyg said:

Fri takeover day stay at acle/ stokesby 

Sat early start, overnight stay at Somerleyton.

Sunday Oulton broad then Beccles onto geldstone overnight stop.

Mon brundal overnight stay at Rockland St Mary's.

Tues Norwich, sightseeing.

Wed Loddon possibly Reedham or the berney Arms overnight stop.

Thurs slow plod back towards acle. 

All doable in a week, we enjoying cruising and we have everything aboard we'll need. No point wasting daylight hours. Big plus for me a whole week afloat and not a lathams or Roy's will be visited lol...

Personally, I wouldn’t want to overnight in Norwich.  Too noisy for me.  I’d head back to The Ferry House at Surlingham for a good meal at one of the best pubs on The Broads.

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Looks like a good plan, Andy. My own preference would be Oulton rather than Somerleyton for Saturday. I don't find Somerleyton that interesting, to be honest or maybe I'm missing something? . . . . .

The Dukes Head is open again.  Other than that, I actually quite like Somerleyton.  Decent moorings, with electric posts and aside from the trains passing, quiet, too.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SwanR said:

The mooring we always loved on the south was Langley Dyke. Not as obvious as some of the other places. And no pub! 😂

It’s awful there Jean.  Those ruddy crows roosting in the trees.  The noise!!  No, I think it’s one to avoid.  😉😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There was one year we did a night at Loddon then a night at Beccles. When we got to Langley Dyke the next night we were so ready to be away from lots of people and the road noise. A firm favourite along with the night we spent at North Cove on another occasion. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SwanR said:

. . . . . . . . A firm favourite along with the night we spent at North Cove on another occasion. 

North Cove . . . . . . . . . .awful . . . . . . . . .  awful mooring spot.  Can’t understand why anyone would want to moor there!!

(Jean, don’t give all the secrets away!!) 😁

• Haha 1

I'll be interested in how it goes, We're planning on heading south for the first time in a couple of months and I'm starting m planning/dreaming already. Probably something similar to you, but unfortunately no Geldeston, I don't think the boatyard would appreciate us making their nice boat into a convertible. 

3 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

I'll be interested in how it goes, We're planning on heading south for the first time in a couple of months and I'm starting m planning/dreaming already. Probably something similar to you, but unfortunately no Geldeston, I don't think the boatyard would appreciate us making their nice boat into a convertible. 

We are on golden bridge so the bridge shouldn't be a problem, I've check heights etc. Fingers crossed. We had dazzling light last year, someone had tried to take it under a low bridge the week before. Made rather a mess of the upper helm position. New helm screen damaged even the upper helm seat got damaged. 

1 hour ago, andyg said:

I wouldn't stay at the yacht station, agreed to noisy. Back to commissioner's cut for the night. Then short cab ride into Norwich to a fav curry house of ours. Posh night out where we come from lol.

You don't need to go into Norwich for a really good curry house. Merchants of Spice are just a short walk from the Commissioners Cut. They've been rated amongst the top Norwich restaurants for the last few years. Currently rated 24 out of 507, which can't be bad. They also do takeaway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

North Cove . . . . . . . . . .awful . . . . . . . . .  awful mooring spot.  Can’t understand why anyone would want to moor there!!

(Jean, don’t give all the secrets away!!) 😁

You need to avoid Worlingham Staithe too...another awful mooring.

:default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

You don't need to go into Norwich for a really good curry house. Merchants of Spice are just a short walk from the Commissioners Cut. They've been rated amongst the top Norwich restaurants for the last few years. Currently rated 24 out of 507, which can't be bad. They also do takeaway.

Thanks for the heads up, just checked them out online, seems like a contender. I'm sure we looked at this restaurant last year when staying in Norwich. I can't remember why we never went now. Thanks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I think the subject of mooring for the night in Norwich has come up before. Just to say I've only done it once in recent years but I very much enjoyed it. It was a Monday night so pubs were quiet and I had no disturbance at all.

We stayed at the Nelson( premier inn )a few times last year. We often sat out on the patio area next to the river at the end of the night. It's still very busy along there at 11/12 o'clock at night. I'm a light sleeper so I don't think I'd get a good night's sleep staying at the yacht station. Hopefully we can get under the bridge at Thorpe. I'd love to stay there for the night. 

• Like 1