Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

57 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Have a lovely time afloat Kate, you have the lighter nights to enjoy too. 

Thanks Gracie, I’m grateful for that reminder as it had not registered.
 Once I’m there, that’ll be lovely. But seeing as I was planning on leaving home at 6am tomorrow morning, in my book that’s going to be 5am.
Might just have a bit of a rethink about that then. 

• Like 2

Sorry we missed you on our latest trip Kate. Thanks for the update, I was wondering whether you were likely to be back on the rivers soon.

Are you likely to be around early June?

10 hours ago, kpnut said:

But seeing as I was planning on leaving home at 6am tomorrow morning, in my book that’s going to be 5am.

the boot fair tomorrow here starts at 6am so I bet it wont be busy until later- glad  my normal waking time is earlier than that so I can be there on time.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, grendel said:

glad  my normal waking time is earlier than that so I can be there on time.

So is mine Grendel, but that doesn’t mean I like getting out of bed. For some odd reason, 4.21 seems to be my waking time at the moment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Are you likely to be around early June?

Most probably!! I have lost time to catch up on. 

I still have berths vacant for the meet weekend if you fancy it Helen. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Most probably!! I have lost time to catch up on. 

I still have berths vacant for the meet weekend if you fancy it Helen. 

I wish I could join you. I enjoyed your company and the NBN meet so much last year.
I have a band rehearsal that Friday evening and two church services to play the organ for on the Sunday. What with this fortnight, the June one and being away at a Cathedral visit toward the end of May, I already feel I’m letting people down with being away so much. 

20 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I have a band rehearsal that Friday evening and two church services to play the organ for on the Sunday. What with this fortnight, the June one and being away at a Cathedral visit toward the end of May, I already feel I’m letting people down with being away so much. 

That’s the problem of retirement Helen, not enough time in the day, or days in the week!

• Like 1

I left home at 7am new time and had the roads to myself for a while. Being so quiet cut 3/4 hour off my usual 4 hour journey. 
I was happy to catch up with the crew of the Sally Marie (Sally and David, ‘Salmar’) which came into her mooring as I was readying Springer’s Retreat for departure. 

I had thought I might try Ranworth for the last free night, but seeing just how many boats were out I talked myself out of it, partly ‘cos I thought it’d be full and secondly, if busy, being stern on next to others is not really my cup of tea. 
How Hill only had a couple of spaces left when I went past about 1ish. I noticed Pipedreams at just about the same time as Simon noticed me, we both opened windows at the same time for a cheery wave and greeting. 

It feels ‘right’ to be back onboard, even with a very dismal afternoon weather-wise.
March is ending without really getting going in my view. When the sun does shine, it has more heat in it, but it’s still been distinctly lacking. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, kpnut said:

I left home at 7am new time and had the roads to myself for a while. Being so quiet cut 3/4 hour off my usual 4 hour journey. 
I was happy to catch up with the crew of the Sally Marie (Sally and David, ‘Salmar’) which came into her mooring as I was readying Springer’s Retreat for departure. 

I had thought I might try Ranworth for the last free night, but seeing just how many boats were out I talked myself out of it, partly ‘cos I thought it’d be full and secondly, if busy, being stern on next to others is not really my cup of tea. 
How Hill only had a couple of spaces left when I went past about 1ish. I noticed Pipedreams at just about the same time as Simon noticed me, we both opened windows at the same time for a cheery wave and greeting. 

It feels ‘right’ to be back onboard, even with a very dismal afternoon weather-wise.
March is ending without really getting going in my view. When the sun does shine, it has more heat in it, but it’s still been distinctly lacking. 

I’m not so sure. This March the warmer weather has sort of ‘snuck in’. Our first week on MS was definitely more temperate than I’d expected for March (previous hires have been very chilly). The second week started out slightly colder, but not massively so and ended pretty warm, to the extent that we went out on walks and regretted taking our coats. 

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I’m not so sure. This March the warmer weather has sort of ‘snuck in’.

That’s what I would expect. Being at home all this time though it hasn’t really happened like that up north of the Humber. Yes, some days lovely and warm but nothing has got established.

Nothing to make me think I need to leave the greenhouse door open at least!

I’m not too sure the first week of April is going to be a turning point either; plenty of wet dog towel days on offer in the forecast 😂

I moored up at Griff’s corner upstream of Neaves Mill where it promptly started raining on me as I faffed about with the rhond anchors. Only light though and it soon stopped and was then on and off all afternoon. 
Two choices of walk from here - towards Horning or towards Ludham bridge. Being a Sunday afternoon I thought there’d be a bit going on at Ludham bridge so we wandered down there. The Richardson’s lads were just finishing taking the two Amore boats through the bridge. The height gauge was on about 7’7”. 
28BB04CA-5D67-4571-B593-D73ED05DA016.thumb.jpeg.e05d910fc0026120216d7630716be890.jpeg

I chatted to a fellow Richos mooree for a while then decided that we needed a longer walk. We walked down the riverbank and along the causeway to St Benet’s.

8FBA5100-DAF0-4EAB-97B7-BB6537FDC6C8.thumb.jpeg.5202e025113ef75344ea952827110223.jpeg

The river Ant has been decidedly busy this afternoon, mainly heading upstream. I had been passed by numerous sailing boats from Hunters while travelling down and plenty of other boats on their way back to Stalham for the morning handover, along with a lot from other yards having an explore. Plenty of private boats out too. 

St Benet’s moorings were very quiet though, only a couple of boats. Maybe people had been put off by the wind, forecast to die down by evening. 

3EB48455-F3A3-4251-899A-09C9666295D7.thumb.jpeg.748141bc2d051060ea0810c39702937a.jpeg

We walked along as far as the Bishop’s mooring at the far end before heading home in reverse.

06AA9633-B534-45F4-8CDE-3C6DB6E4181F.thumb.jpeg.9df73427a588e21e510a26e321ef79e2.jpeg

Ludham bridge moorings were surprisingly much less full than anticipated as I returned.

D8C3F562-BBA5-43E3-910F-34512D8CB3FF.thumb.jpeg.8f2add911a03e370569b7debc6a751fe.jpeg

All in all, 4.5 miles and without feeling the need to hurry in case it started getting dark. 

I saw what I presume was a short eared owl flying low over the marsh by the causeway on the way back. Not that I know anything, but I have spoken to birdwatchers there in December who were on the lookout for them. And having white underwings has convinced me. I really ought to take my binoculars out with me but invariably forget. 
I also spotted a little shrew, or maybe it was a mouse, scuttling across the path into the long grass - I didn’t see it quick enough to identify it. And while cleaning Finlay off back at the boat, I was treated to my first booms of the bittern for the year. Excellent. 

And then the best night’s sleep I’ve had in ages, only waking when boats started passing this morning.
And the sun’s shining and the birds are singing. Nothing more needed!

• Like 8

9 hours ago, kpnut said:

Two choices of walk from here - towards Horning or towards Ludham bridge

Slightly longer walk, but rather than continuing to Horning from Neave’s Mill, how about a right turn up the footpath toward Alderfen Broad? 

A leisurely start as usual when I’m on my own, taking Finlay out for a bit of training on the grassy bank. 
Schedule for the morning was to walk into Horning. Just as I read that BA and Dungraftin were coming up the Ant together this morning, they appeared and I went out to say hello. Forgot my camera till they were nearly round the bend, but posted a photo on Dungraftin’s thread. 

Our walk to Horning via the track, across the road at Upper Street and down past the church first took me to the church mooring, just to see what state it’s in after the winter water levels. The path down from the church is fine, as is the mooring itself. 
As the church came into view, I realised what a delightful proper country church it is, and that song by Chris de Burgh about a country churchyard came into my head - can’t remember if it’s about a wedding or a burial though!

AC2BAA8C-F2B7-41C7-AACC-EB650666E0A3.thumb.jpeg.895bc2ca3c4a4793d9e3edf8baa25a9b.jpeg

While sitting on the bench at the mooring the Sailing club safety boat came along and I asked if there was a race today. Yes, Horning to Thurne mouth and back. There was nothing on the river, so presuming a lunchtime start, I thought it’d be nice to see them all setting off in the green. So we got going.

Seeing as Griff had said Boulter’s was open yesterday, Easter Day itself, I chanced going down there for some canopy cleaner. They were open and I duly stocked up. 
Next detour was down to the Ferry Inn to see what improvements they’d done to their carpark. They’ve put a ramp up at the entrance, presumably to stop water running in off the road, and it also looks like a new fence with concrete boarding underneath. 
4E967210-8416-4902-BEE3-68C928E5CB95.thumb.jpeg.fae4b4bd16a83feda0df0628595c554c.jpeg

EEE4E4EA-A557-4368-86EE-EE6D1768C161.thumb.jpeg.6697082246512b55d07146c8317e3143.jpeg

I did spot that one of the cottages down that lane has planted some hedging whips - very, very hopefully I’d guess taking into account the amount of flooding that the road gets fairly regularly. 

3F5CDD57-77CC-4F33-9DF1-0651A72435A5.thumb.jpeg.1516ef94ae843c5257a47007d9813c6b.jpeg

Then into Horning itself where I  ordered a cup of tea and a bacon bap from the kiosk on the green. I sat and waited, and waited, and waited for around 20 minutes before the bacon bap was ready, long after my cup of tea had been drunk. He had said they were busy but if I’d known this long, I’m not sure I’d have bothered. 

The village was busy, the Swan Inn looked packed with diners, but the staithe itself was so empty, one hire boat and one day boat for all the time I was there.  I don’t think us boaters are anywhere near the main source of income for these businesses. 

No sign of a sailing race mind you. I think it must have started much earlier. If I’d hung around long enough, I suppose I’d have seen them return, but there didn’t seem to be any activity at the club either. 

2C0B56CF-5182-4D0E-BC27-52673EEF7FCB.thumb.jpeg.34e7bb166a752f8f86e2fe6fbf6dc4f3.jpeg

After a nice wander back to the boat, with the weather now set fair for the rest of the day,  I set to and cleaned the canopies, followed by a reproofing. Ruby, with Graham and Delilah onboard, not sure about Angie, passed me and reminded me not to fall in. I think it’d be warmer and pleasant just there, but a little too near the sewage outfall for my liking. 
Lots of Richardsons boats now coming down for the start of folks’ holidays. 

Think this is some crab apple blossom I spotted. Quite early I’d say.

F3645231-33A1-43E9-A874-786590F4FCC5.thumb.jpeg.f20dbede50b7483272333bee236a99a0.jpeg

Also this, I do know what it is, but can’t remember if you see what I mean. Is it Angelica, or Hemlock perhaps? It’s not Cow Parsley. Must be a good year for it whatever it is, it’s everywhere along the verges. 

3DDBA9CF-FC89-47BA-AC15-C49E1EA873DB.thumb.jpeg.7c965c93b6593e4ee3cc66b9af16d8cc.jpeg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Slightly longer walk, but rather than continuing to Horning from Neave’s Mill, how about a right turn up the footpath toward Alderfen Broad? 

I thought about that this morning Helen, but I reckon it’ll be really muddy up through that carr wood and across the meadow at the moment, if that’s the way you mean. 

I managed to stretch the walk to Horning to 4.5 miles with my detours. Finlay’s now asleep on the sofa. 

The race would have been in the morning usually starting from just past the Ferry depending on the wind strength.  There were quite a few boats according to HSCs social media outlets

Got married in Horning church and both my parents' ashes are there (on the other side of the church overlooking Ranworth).  Good place to see Swallowtail butterflies - they come up from the marshes

Liz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, LizG said:

The race would have been in the morning usually starting from just past the Ferry depending on the wind strength.  There were quite a few boats according to HSCs social media outlets

That explains it. I looked up the events diary on the website and it was certainly there, so couldn’t understand why I missed it so completely. I should have stopped and let the world go by at the church mooring and I’d have eventually seen it! 
I remember you telling me about the churchyard being a good place for swallowtails last year. So by mentioning it again that’s now firmly lodged in my mind for later in the year. 
Beautiful little church. 

17 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

The scouts have hired 17 Hunters sailing boats for the weekend which explains the many sailing boats travelling upstream on the Ant 

It does indeed Simon. 
I reckoned they were either all together or Hunters were having a laugh by recommending every hirer went up the Ant. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kpnut said:

Is it Angelica, or Hemlock perhaps? It’s not Cow Parsley. Must be a good year for it whatever it is, it’s everywhere along the verges. 

I meant hogweed, not hemlock. 

23 minutes ago, dom said:

Alexanders maybe?

Don, I think you’ve got it. Thankyou. 
I was coming to the conclusion it was ground elder but that flowers a bit later. 

• Like 1