Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

15 hours ago, kpnut said:

I took the dog on his new figure of 8 slip lead (a revelation,

Oooh, details please. Seren pulls like anything on the lead, though she’s pretty biddable off the lead. Pozzie pulls a bit at the start of any walk, but is mostly good once he’s had a bit of a run. 

• Like 1

On 20/12/2023 at 01:41, YnysMon said:

Oooh, details please

Here goes, specially for Broads01 and Helen. 

0A404A5A-461F-4201-B491-1AEACA0E1912.thumb.jpeg.a28df1c82a84b0440aacb23f6c0790b9.jpeg

This is from Sporting Saint. Product Code: L21_olive

Once you’ve threaded the lead through the noose, you put the slip lead over the dog’s head as normal, and then the smaller loop over their nose.
What I like about this lead is the swivel thingie. Finlay weaves about more than I’d like and this stops the lead from twizzling up on itself. 

First video is him walking with it being used just as a normal slip lead, without the bit over his nose. 

As normal, a bit erratic. Although he never pulls my arms out of their socket as such, just gets to the end of the lead and keeps it tight all the time so my hand has to stray forwards unless I jerk him back. 

2nd video is with the nose bit on. I’m just holding the lead with one finger and it’s still not tight. 

And a video of the lady at Sporting Saint showing how to put it on. I tried to take one, but impossible one handed!

I said I had another lead too. This is how to use a normal slip lead as a figure of 8. If you do this, buy one that’s long enough to make the twist and also give enough length left over for it to fall loose, otherwise the dog just has it tight all the time and you lose the benefit of them learning ‘pull = tight, not pulling = loose’.  
This white and green fleck lead is slightly too short to do a figure if 8. You can see the bit coming up to me is right at the the end of its length with no leeway for loosening. 
And better to try one out in a shop. I find a thinner braid (max 8mm diameter) better compared with thicker ones like this.

And two photos of Finlay modelling the noosed lead. 

55E22E57-34F9-4605-9280-CC048BB6BC8F.thumb.jpeg.439486da2f8d08e5ab5db8ad975b3f70.jpeg

50FC93CA-27AD-4163-A5D1-A955805B930A.thumb.jpeg.3df24a3269c53b591c3ddb114384859c.jpeg

The only negative about this noosed lead is it could do with being slighter shorter between the swivel thingie and my hand. So he can’t go forward so far. I usually hold it near the swivel.

As you can see, I won’t be invited to Hollywood anytime soon!

I did buy what was advertised as a figure of 8 sliplead from Dog and Field, but when it arrived it was just a normal sliplead, albeit longer than the norm to take account of what I said about twisting it, and with a little clip to attach to a normal collar for security if your dog wears one. Finlay doesn’t wear a collar (unless in the boat to be used as a handle when he goes from a swim), as he’d get caught up in the brambles when working.

So if you just want to go with a sliplead that you twist yourself, maybe try them. 

Hope that all helps. 

Delivery was really quick by the way, from both companies and customer service was excellent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Alternatively, one of these: https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/halti-dog-head-collar

The principle is the same: with a normal lead it pulls on the neck and the dog will take that all day. What they don't like is their snout being pulled to the side. They soon learn that it's more comfortable to keep the lead slack. Similar to how a horse rein works.

After using one on our Springer I always recommend a Halti. Unfortunately, my opinion was ignored by someone who claimed they must be cruel to the dog??? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paws said:

You can buy it in any good pet shop pets at home do them paws

Well, I’ve looked all through pets at home and can find slipleads, but not figure of 8 ones. 
But if someone’s thinking of just getting a slip lead and twisting it yourself, then going to a shop and trying one for length and weight would be useful.
 I would still recommend going for one with a swivel thing though and I’ve never seen one of those in a normal pet shop. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, floydraser said:

After using one on our Springer I always recommend a Halti.

I saw the Halti on the pets at home website. It and the ‘gentle leader’ work in a slightly different way to the figure of 8 slip, but the idea’s the same. Pull = tight and pulls the nose round, don’t pull = loose and comfy.

I did try a ‘halti’ and a ‘gentle leader’, but Finlay still persisted in walking at the end of the lead and keeping it tight. He does have a very high drive mind you, so I have no doubt a lesser puller would get on OK with them. 

I found them slightly more fiddly to put in as like a harness or normal collar and lead, there’s a clip to do up, difficult with wet gloves on when out working. 

If anyone would like my redundant ‘gentle leader’ just shout. I can bring it to the boat after Christmas. 

24 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Unfortunately, my opinion was ignored by someone who claimed they must be cruel to the dog??? 

A very common misconception, including my daughter with her nightmare springer. He pulled Tony over and Tony ended up in A and E in the CT scanner checking his head!

I walked both springers together the other week all round our local streets with these leads, without one negative incident. And in the woods once Charlie had had enough charging around. Charlie just took to it and trotted along - a total miracle, especially in the wood with all the pheasant scent. 

I’m really hoping to persuade Catherine that he’ll be much happier with it rather than his harness, it’ll be better for his joints if he’s not pulling and safer for Catherine with baby in tow as well. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

The only concern I have with trying one with my dog is she is a Shih Tzu and as such has a short snout. I'm not sure how well the snout loop will work but I guess I shall just have to give it a try and see.

Ummm. I think the lead I got from Sporting Saint will be too big for her. 

It might well be best to give the ‘halti’ or ‘gentle leader’ a try as you can buy them in different sizes. You’d need the small one. Pets at Home sell both. (Other stores too of course). 
To see if the general concept works, why not take her in there, choose the thinnest diameter sliplead they’ve got and put it on with the twisting motion I showed.
But probably the thinnest diameter is still going to be too thick for her little nose so won’t be that comfy. The gentle leader and I think the halti too use a flat nylon type material which will be more suitable. They have infinite adjustable buckles (which is why I find them more of a faff) which might get you a much better fit. 

You would be more than welcome to have my redundant gentle leader, but it is the medium size rather than small. If you want it, just pm me and we can arrange getting it to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kpnut said:

I saw the Halti on the pets at home website. It and the ‘gentle leader’ work in a slightly different way to the figure of 8 slip, but the idea’s the same. Pull = tight and pulls the nose round, don’t pull = loose and comfy.

I did try a ‘halti’ and a ‘gentle leader’, but Finlay still persisted in walking at the end of the lead and keeping it tight. He does have a very high drive mind you, so I have no doubt a lesser puller would get on OK with them. 

I found them slightly more fiddly to put in as like a harness or normal collar and lead, there’s a clip to do up, difficult with wet gloves on when out working. 

If anyone would like my redundant ‘gentle leader’ just shout. I can bring it to the boat after Christmas. 

We tried a Halti with Seren too, but she continued to pull so we discontinued using it. 

Saturday 30th December

Back on the rivers for New Year. I aimed to get here on Thursday, but family plans changed somewhat (due to illness in my son in law’s parents’ house over Christmas so a delayed visit to us) so I managed it Saturday. Unfortunately it seems I brought the sickness bug with me so the journey was rather ‘stop start’ with the need to open the car door in a hurry a couple of times from Kings Lynn onwards. Too far to drive home again and I need to see to some jobs on the boat anyway. 

• Like 3

Very pleased I was still in the yard last night, as it blew an absolute hoolie overnight for about 8 hours. Much calmer outside (and in) this morning.

Feel much better this morning but i’m not going to chance eating anything for a while. Water, herbal tea and paracetamol will do. 

Last year over New Year I was out and really didn’t see a soul. But on various ‘group’ pages, it seems more folk are venturing out this year, so might not have all the moorings to myself 😄

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, bucket said:

but there is only one cure.....you need a bacon sarnie!...(plenty of butter on the bread).......you're welcome.

No Bucket, (and Gracie it seems) you’re welcome to have my share. I’ll look forward to mine in the New Year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Hope you feel better son Kate. There’s nothing worse that having sickness when travelling. I was going to say ‘away from home’, but I’m guessing that Springer’s Retreat is a home away from home. 

It was touch and go finding somewhere suitable to stop I must say, thank goodness for farm gates!

Much, much better now thanks. I did a nice walk along from st Benet’s to Ludham. 

This morning I had to unjam the weed strainer cap as it had been put on too tight. Hammer and block of wood sorted that.

Then I realised the probe for the remote thermostat/plug for the tube heater in the engine bay was tightly wound round the alternator belt wheel. Comes from turning the engine on before I left last time in a hopeless attempt to try to loosen the strainer cap. I’d already set the probe up to come through the hole in the wall into the engine bay. Oops. So I had to loosen off the alternator and sort that out. No harm done, probe still works. But that was two jobs I could have done without when not on top form!

As regards how busy or not it is - I was expecting it to be busier. Three boats passed me and no one was in at Womack when I walked down there, other than a ‘long term’ boat. Last New Years Eve I had Womack to myself. Maybe electric moorings are more popular. 

• Like 3

Monday 1st January 2024

What a start to the new year. 
81E68130-DC46-4BDA-9B1F-EFE92B397C3F.thumb.jpeg.8587c65ec76cf7daa40a30bc113d456a.jpeg

D32B0B68-458F-4526-B66F-1A10CA6BCCD6.thumb.jpeg.fd60e689db322b2b4331289aec63cbcf.jpeg

We couldn’t resist a walk up to Ludham Bridge and back round  to St Benet’s via Hall Road and the concrete track. 
As I was walking along the raised causeway that runs parallel to the river to Ant mouth from St Benet’s, I realised that before the river Ant was diverted to flow out into the Bure, the monks would have been able to walk all the way from the abbey to Horning and beyond. 
I then decided to try to work out where the Ant went after Ludham Bridge. I know it went along the Hundred Dyke across the marsh to near Coldharbour Farm to flow out into the Thurne, but I wondered where it started that journey. Does anyone know for definite?

Is it from that inlet south of the straight bit of the bridge moorings? (where the bridge height gauge is) or perhaps more likely, off the big corner behind the boatyard? There is a fairly wide dyke behind that corner which is a suitable suspect. 

85BAD2ED-4112-4B97-9BCE-FEAD90738EC3.thumb.jpeg.7c5aa96605a7f06898ee73cfdeafa374.jpeg

The river from Ludham Bridge looked sparkling and it’s nice to see the water level has dropped at the boatyard. 
D72EE49F-4292-4863-970C-369F3327EBEB.thumb.jpeg.4d8f9623a874d81abffeb14fdac0ddea.jpeg

410ECB52-9B87-42CF-8602-71AEA800759B.thumb.jpeg.7dc89f9b7133491ae266357f44852d5e.jpeg

D5BAE6A7-27C4-4DE5-8E5A-D1E01EFEA6D0.thumb.jpeg.856029393c4ff7da5a377cab45a540fe.jpeg

This is the course of the Ant across the marsh, along the Hundred Dyke. It does seem to come from the direction of the bend south of the boatyard. 
FD095AC2-8027-4B1A-ABFB-9261F179AC49.thumb.jpeg.5cc74db49f1324012c006b026e7c0134.jpeg

I imagine that the line of bushes on the left side of the photo was the southern bank of the river. 

This one looks towards the Thurne. 
14AB4434-4192-4E60-BB4B-52E5C4D124E2.thumb.jpeg.0faa4f42cb4714bd4b3e53ffb237cac8.jpeg

Coming back to the boat, I passed numerous birdwatchers, this time all looking towards Ant mouth. The last few times, including yesterday, they were looking towards Coldharbour. One of them told me the other week he was hoping to spot short-eared owls but I don’t know what they were after yesterday or today, and I certainly didn’t spot anything at all in the air, apart from a couple of pheasants that Finlay stumbled across on the verge. 

And then a wonderfully sunny journey up the Bure. 

Ferry Inn, after two episodes of having to close due to the flooding and lack of access, is open again and had a fair number of cars in the car park. Very muddy though. 
Although not one of my ‘go-to’ pubs, if I wasn’t avoiding too much contact with others due to my recent bout of that bug, I would have spent a bit of money there to support them. 
B294C2F8-DC83-4268-B6EC-30507A7A00C5.thumb.jpeg.9210f2e75e12db0e6c8242056f50c7e5.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1