Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

Wednesday 13th December

A completely different day to the one I’d planned. 

It started off quietly, with a wander up to the field at How Hill for a dog run. And back to the boat to do some baking to drop off as a Christmas gift for the guys at Ludham Bridge boatyard. It started raining just after I cast off so my waterproof jacket was close to hand. My destination was Salhouse. 

I decided on my way down the Ant that the rain wasn’t going to stop, so off came the lifejacket and on went the waterproof before re-donning the life jacket. What a palaver.

On arrival at Ludham Bridge I moored up next to the water point, so I could pop over to the yard. 

Then I fell in - details in the lifejacket thread (that Grendel has managed to separate from my normal ramblings) 

The rest of the day consisted of sitting in the launderette at Richardsons! 

• Like 1

Mark at Boulter’s in Hoveton showed me how to fit a new canister and firing thing, and repack the lifejacket. 

Then I set off again for a contemplative cruise down to Salhouse. A dingy day overhead, but magical as it was so serene and quiet. 

Once there, we had a walk up to the Fur and Feather for soup and a glass of Wherry, getting back just at dusk.
I was going to try the Stag, but being a bit further to walk, I decided against as I didn’t want to end up walking down the muddy track to the Broad in the dark. 

Howard Nog asked about water levels. I reckon it’s about 3” lower than the end of October when Richardsons were weighing the boats down to get them through the bridge. I went through then at just under 7’ and today it was about 7’3”, both at an hour before high tide.
George at the boatyard says it started going down after two weeks, but then has been up again for two weeks. 

Horning church mooring is now just about visible, as is Cockshoot dyke. The carpark at the Ferry Inn is now more or less clear of water, now just full of mud. 

• Like 5

Thanks for the update Kate. This was Cockshoot Dyke on Sunday, so sounds about he same. The heights at Ludham seem a tiny bit high but not too far out for the time of year. Glad you got up to the Fur and Feather. We needed wellies (which we have now left with Bridgecraft) as it was even muddier than normal. Worth the effort for a drop of Norfolk Nog though. I've already made a mental note to visit the Stag at the next opportunity. 

P1180745.JPG

• Like 2

On 12/12/2023 at 22:20, NorfolkNog said:

Hope you get moored at St Bennetts, no shortage of space! 

I went past this morning. As expected there was no-one there, and the quay heading is visible. What is quite apparent is that a lot of the posts are taped off due to erosion of their footings. presumably this is due to the recent overtopping water. 

If the quay headings aren’t high enough to cope with high water levels, then perhaps there’s a better way of setting in the posts and making up the surfaces?
I saw at Ranworth and on my previous trip, at Acle Bridge and Boundary Farm and I’m sure Potter Heigham will be the same once the water goes down, that the loose grit surface has been removed by the water. At Hoveton viaduct there are holes round the mooring posts being filled with gravel. And at Neatishead where the loose grit on the slope down from the carpark was gone and being replaced. Spending good money to replace when it’s bound to happen again seems inefficient. I haven’t a clue what other things could be used, but it seems the current system doesn’t last very long. 

And on a maintenance note, the men at Ranworth who were finishing off the water posts this morning told me the damaged quay heading in the corner is still due to be done, but the water level will have to fall before it can be done. 

• Like 5

Friday 15th December

I feel cheated today as the BBC forecast was giant sunblobs today. But a cover of cloud has persisted all day. 
I even opened the curtains early to see the fabulous sunrise over Salhouse Broad, that didn’t then materialise. Oh well, there’s always another day!

0EC88BB4-099A-4C64-9A22-FF77A2DED48C.thumb.jpeg.eaff6a5182db6f63587d802c3d3fae76.jpeg

4257FD87-CFC6-4738-957B-DEB5E2AAA9ED.thumb.jpeg.24dc39ce362db41d3a0a82bc79a59420.jpeg

It’s still been a beautiful day as in a ‘Im on the boat, the rivers are quiet and the scenery is stunning’ sort of way. Things could be a lot worse and I feel very lucky to experience this on a regular basis. 

10930555-1035-48A4-B8FA-0DF30F6EFC36.thumb.jpeg.b59892d060ab167fba1500fc5bad928e.jpeg

E3C49B36-B4F6-4D92-B887-335175279723.thumb.jpeg.87856a879bcfefdd861bfa5c7154d3a8.jpeg

After a dog walk, I set off for Ranworth where I thought I’d stop and cook a late breakfast. I don’t often do this, so that was a treat. Bacon and egg sarnie!

The men doing the water hoses didn’t take me up on my offer of testing out the hose length by trying to reach it to my boat, moored in the taxi rank. I didn’t actually need to fill up, but they confirmed the water is on again. It had been an issue with the stopcock that delayed the work. 

They thought the hose probably was too short to reach that corner and that was the only hose they had, so wouldn’t be able to replace it with a longer one anyway!
In fact, the hose winder reel would be too small for any more hose.
148C9750-DD50-4CFE-AB4E-767EB7A2A16F.thumb.jpeg.319c70226dcaaa410eadfc91f828864a.jpeg

You can get a sense of size by comparing with the donation post next to it. It looks bigger on this photo than in reality. 

I’m sure with the cash raised by the controversial mooring fee, a larger diameter reel and longer hose wouldn’t break the bank. In fact, if the water pressure allowed, adding an extra water point on the side moorings would stop people dragging and stretching the hose from the front moorings. That was their suggestion, seconded by me. 

• Like 5

Then on down to Upton dyke. I’d been enticed by the Nogs photo of mooring on the boatyard side, now the yachts are out of the water. I’ve never dared go down to the end before, so now was my chance to build my confidence. Checking their photo again to see if there are mooring posts on the far side, or whether I needed to get the rhond anchors ready, I ventured up there. Oh blow, the moorings are really muddy! I’m sure the yard wouldn’t mind me mooring on their side, but I didn’t like to, being a private boat rather than a hire boat able to tap into the yards’ agreements with each other.  
I found the most grassy, least muddy bit and we were soon off on our walk round Upton marsh. So down the north bank of the dyke, through the gate at the end, slipping and sliding along the muddy path for quite a way, before it dried up nicely. 
The man fitting the roof on the extension to Upton mill said the track down to the mill is now so rutted and muddy that he has to park his van at the far end and wheelbarrow all his tools down to the mill each day. That must be VERY hard work. I didn’t think till later about asking why he doesn’t use a boat. 

We turned inland across the marsh at the pumping station with the auto weed grabber. The drainage board has been doing a massive amount of ditching work on the main dyke that cuts right across the marsh. 

A3D7B3C2-9C4E-48F5-B73B-CD96CA242457.thumb.jpeg.050f97fa22db57a65be7ecbcc3929781.jpeg

The concrete road wasn’t too muddy and we were soon at the end by the village. A quick check of the time told me I didn’t have time to go back to the boat to clean the dog off before a visit to the pub, so we went straight up the road to the shop/pub, my plan being to ask if they would mind a very black ditch-watery dog, or to just pop into the shop for something to nibble. More just to support the local business. 
The pub welcomed me and I did end up eating an early tea of a sandwich with a massive chunk of locally sourced ham. 
We got back to the boat at dusk and a quick swim sort of cleaned Finlay off.

He’s now curled up asleep in his towelling coat, one contented dog!

A247BDBE-76FF-4692-9560-2C64893C3866.thumb.jpeg.f9b8e4c0f7f20dba451d03b2abd144f3.jpeg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, kpnut said:

I went past this morning. As expected there was no-one there, and the quay heading is visible. What is quite apparent is that a lot of the posts are taped off due to erosion of their footings. presumably this is due to the recent overtopping water. 

If the quay headings aren’t high enough to cope with high water levels, then perhaps there’s a better way of setting in the posts and making up the surfaces?
I saw at Ranworth and on my previous trip, at Acle Bridge and Boundary Farm and I’m sure Potter Heigham will be the same once the water goes down, that the loose grit surface has been removed by the water. At Hoveton viaduct there are holes round the mooring posts being filled with gravel. And at Neatishead where the loose grit on the slope down from the carpark was gone and being replaced. Spending good money to replace when it’s bound to happen again seems inefficient. I haven’t a clue what other things could be used, but it seems the current system doesn’t last very long. 

And on a maintenance note, the men at Ranworth who were finishing off the water posts this morning told me the damaged quay heading in the corner is still due to be done, but the water level will have to fall before it can be done. 

Hi Kate I’m enjoying your thread as usual

I think the BA should install more floating pontoons I know they will need maintenance but the tides wouldn’t cause more maintenance like all the moorings you have just mentioned plus there would be no grit if they were made from recycled plastic materials. 

Roy 

• Like 1

I would think pontoons might work in some places, and would maybe relieve pressure on mooring space, if installed as extras at eg Ranworth, but wouldn’t they narrow the river channel too much in quite a few places?
Probably ok (if suitable) at somewhere like at Benets as it’s plenty wide enough, but not so sure about somewhere like Horning. Mind you, if they were installed to get over the problem of surface erosion, Horning isn’t in that category as it’s tarmac. Always a joy to moor up there! (Once you’ve brushed any goose poo off the tarmac).

• Like 2

Hi Kate enjoying your tale and photos :1311_thumbsup_tone2: glad you are enjoying the peace and quiet of December cruising! :default_biggrin:

I believe Eastwood Whelpton are members of the hire boat federation but I'm sure they would let you moor there, no shortage of space! Might be worth someone enquiring in future as it's less muddy and quite a good height. Worth it for the pub :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

If there’s someone around this morning before I leave, I’ll ask. It’s Saturday though, so probably quiet here. 

I normally like mooring at the river end as it’s such a nice view, but it’s still half submerged at the moment. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, kpnut said:

If there’s someone around this morning before I leave, I’ll ask. It’s Saturday though, so probably quiet here. 

Good idea if you can spot someone :91_thumbsup:

I've moored on the river corner before but it's very low down, usually get protests from my mooring assistant (Mrs Nog) and it takes up more drinking time :default_norty:

P1180262.JPG

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Hi Kate enjoying your tale and photos :1311_thumbsup_tone2: glad you are enjoying the peace and quiet of December cruising! :default_biggrin:

I believe Eastwood Whelpton are members of the hire boat federation but I'm sure they would let you moor there, no shortage of space! Might be worth someone enquiring in future as it's less muddy and quite a good height. Worth it for the pub :default_beerchug:

They were happy for us to moor there when we were on Water Rail, and that was a September, when their fleet was still in the water. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

They were happy for us to moor there when we were on Water Rail, and that was a September, when their fleet was still in the water. 

Ah, but she’s a lovely little wooden boat that sort of fits in with their Moorhen, not a glaringly obvious orange bathtub!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

No one was around to ask this morning, so that’s for the future. 

Some planning to do today as I want to be in Wroxham this evening to listen to the City of Norwich Brass Band at Hoveton village hall. 

Mooring after Wroxham bridge is not on the cards unfortunately. It was suggested I moor on Granary Staithe, which I considered, but that means leaving Finlay in the boat. I don’t mind doing that, but maybe not in the middle of town where if he cries, someone might hear and decide the RSPCA needs to be called!

So bus from somewhere to Stalham to collect the car and take it back tomorrow. Good choices are Horning, Ludham Bridge or Womack. Easy bus and easy parking. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Gracie, she’s going in for a repaint in the new year and I think it’s going to make a few people happy that she’s staying orange😂

Orange? I don't like Orange. We need a forum re-think. I think a subtle change to brown, a light coloured brown, complimented by a lighter colour brown. 

Who am I to suggest the colour of your boat. Pink might be good. You cannot please everybody but you can upset everybody.

Only joking.

Old Wussername. 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I think a subtle change to brown, a light coloured brown, complimented by a lighter colour brown. 

Finlay is good at turning her different shades of brown/grey, depending on the ground conditions of the walks he goes on. 

• Like 2