Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

17 hours ago, kpnut said:

I’m so sorry Ray, I didn’t know they had names! But it was fun and I did think yesterday how nice it would be to go the other way round and spend a day by the river if you were on holiday in north Norfolk. 
I’d encourage you to have a trip to Aylsham Jean, would be a nice jolly out. 

Ok, firstly I got my days muddled up and called yesterday Tuesday when in fact it was of course Wednesday! It’s the boat that does that to you. As long as I get it right on Monday when I need to get mum back to the train. 
As Helen pointed out, lovely and shady in Fairhaven gardens. A bit fraught having to look out for tree roots waiting to trip mum up, and we didn’t try the cakes seeing as we’d had quite a large lunch before going there, but an enjoyable afternoon out none the less. 

The morning had begun with a food shop in Roy’s. Decidedly more aware of buying less to save having to use the cool box. The electric had done the trick and batteries are now well topped up and fridge very happy. It was good having a glass of chilled wine this evening instead of tepid from the bottle being stuck in a bucket of river water!

We are moored at Fleet Dyke, I’d say 3/4 full all the way along from the Broad end to the Bure junction. One wild mooring available. Rather disappointed that one of my favourite footpaths, round the marsh, is still extremely overgrown. It hasn’t been like this in previous years by this time of year, so not sure why this year is different. 

The main highlight of the day was the passage back through Wroxham bridge. The pilot talked me through very comprehensively, a thoroughly nice chap. And once through, promptly told me to do an about turn and go back and do another return journey and he’d stay onboard with me. As a freebie he said and it was certainly above the call of duty. He did desert me on the other side mind you, I’d like to think he felt I was competent enough! Anyway, pleased to say I feel I could do it again now and I’m pleased he advised going through a second time. 

I hadn’t realised you could fill with water and get a pump out at Bridge Broad boatyard. Such an easy stop off point. £1 for 6 minutes water, which we made use of, and a pump out is £15, times and days posted on the notice board. I didn’t use this service. 

I saw you coming under the bridge 2 nd time looked like you had been doing that for years. 

And that was when the pilot had deserted me to go to the public wc’s!  Thanks for the compliment, felt very much the newbie. 

All this not doing much but relax is making me very tired. We’ve been for a wander round Hoveton Great Broad nature trail this morning, moored up at Salhouse, followed by a delicious lunch at the Fur and Feather. We were going to take mum out canoeing but felt too lazy, so have just enjoyed the not so peace and quiet on the boat. Not so quiet due to the honking of the geese, but they are lovely to watch. 
I saw an amusing sight this morning -a flock of cormorants swimming along and diving for fish. It was like a synchronised swimming team, all facing the same way and doing things in turn. 
I also took this photo of the blue-green algae down Fleet Dyke this morning. It’s getting quite bad down there. You can see the trails left by the ducks. Does it affect wildfowl? I presume not.
I’ve noticed it the past couple of years too. I know it’s already been reported so won’t do so. But it stopped me from letting Finlay go in once we were moored at Salhouse, as it’s difficult to spot in lower concentrations but is probably there too by this time of year to an extent. 

D910479C-F25E-4564-896D-53A68944D4CC.thumb.jpeg.3ce8ebf6d32229cf897abaae9588ee1e.jpeg

I’m sorry this week seems rather mundane compared with my walking exploits, but it has been nice to have family on board and just potter around. I doubt mum will be able to come again as she has found getting on and off difficult, even with two of us to help, but more so she’s found the paths a real challenge. I promise I haven’t taken her on big treks, but just walking from moorings to tarmac has found her stumble a couple of times. Maybe she needs a visit to spec savers!!!!!

• Like 1

Our scene at Salhouse this teatime. I thought we were meant to be in for a heatwave-it’s decidedly chilly here! All relative I suppose. 

5A59680C-F810-484C-8EDB-4FFBF86C5F7D.thumb.jpeg.9a5af9f9b87d91d585795da8b3b7b16f.jpeg

My tomatoes are still loving this weather, looking forward to a good crop in the next couple of months. 

• Like 2

Love the tomato plants. We sent out an SOS via our allotment WhatsApp group yesterday and fortunately have a couple of fellow plot holders who have volunteered to water our plot. I had visions of returning to a withered desert. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kpnut said:

I’m sorry this week seems rather mundane compared with my walking exploits, but it has been nice to have family on board and just potter around

Not mundane at all, it is great to read different ways that people enjoy the rivers. Having your family around you is just the very best regardless :default_smile:

I have a better taste in music Neil!

Were you there? I didn’t spot you if you were. In fact, it looked like I was the only non hire boat there. 
I think it was coming from somewhere on land. It was loud but the bass booming away sent me to sleep ok. I was more perturbed by the gulls squeaking at 3.35 this morning, think they were having a squabble on my roof!

Southern comfort takes you by surprise as it turns up in the most unlikely places. 
Last nights music started about 9pm and probably finished after midnight. 
Hope you’re having fun Helen. 

Our morning comprised a date at Boulters for fuel, £1.80/L. I was expecting to need more fuel so will be happy when I do my sums later. 
A leisurely pootle has brought us to How Hill which is busy ish. Waved to Ruby on the way up. Such a lovely boat Graham and good to see you. 
Wevenooked the Electic Eel boat trip into the dykes for later and mum and Sheila have gone to view the interior of Hathor wherry and i’m hoping they are bringing ice cream back for lunch!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I have a better taste in music Neil!

Were you there? I didn’t spot you if you were. In fact, it looked like I was the only non hire boat there. 
I think it was coming from somewhere on land. It was loud but the bass booming away sent me to sleep ok. I was more perturbed by the gulls squeaking at 3.35 this morning, think they were having a squabble on my roof!

I was mud weighted in the far corner, left just after you.  I was so tired I could have probably curled up on top of one of the speakers!!

I didn’t spot you at all Neil. I did spot a boat mudweighting more or less opposite me with a large garden chair on the ‘deck’ at the front, above the bedroom (that bit of a boat must have a name but I don’t know it). I was hoping the owner would come and dog out for fishing as I wasn’t sure if it just looked very comfy or precarious!

I did have a look at the end nearest Horning. The two mooring spots there plus the mud weighting possibility tucked up in the corner/ entrance to a small dyke looked rather inviting. 

I must admit I prefer rather quieter places so probably won’t return for the remainder of the holiday season. 

• Like 1

The electric eel boat trip into how hill nature reserve is very informative and very tranquil. There is a walk to the birdhouse overlooking Reedham Water too. The trip iis highly recommended if you are introducing people to the real beauty of the broads. £7 or £8 for about an hour, depending on age and max 4 people at the moment due to grounding issues with the low water level. Normally 6 people. 

C1ACAE0E-BF0B-455B-8844-D64A1839CA38.thumb.jpeg.7463ad06f44893040d76a62357711220.jpeg

Got back at 4.30 to a dilemma. Do we stay put for the night, knowing mum can get off for a walk later or in the morning, or move on hoping for a wild mooring with a magical last night but no chance of her getting off?  We’ve stayed put and are just enjoying the boats passing. Too hot to take the dog out at the moment. 

EE4084EA-A6E9-48CF-BFD2-0921440FB233.thumb.jpeg.b8888028c228e804d0756793dc51a4c9.jpeg

• Like 6

Last day for mum and sis and I needed to be back at Stalham for a pumpout before 2.30 or so. 
Decided on a leisurely breakfast after I’d taken the dog for a good old training session on the park area at How Hill. After a few weeks lately of not having much input, his hearing is becoming decidedly selective. So a bit of back to basics recall and heel work is called for, me thinks. 

The Ant was quiet, a few dayboats and others coming downstream but I think we were alone going upstream mid morning. We moored at the end stern-on at Gayes Staithe, sometime after 10.30 and the man next door told us we’d just missed a family of otters in the area where Gayes Staithe and Lime Kiln Dyke diverge. 
I thought a shady walk along the lane past the fudge lady to Neatishead moorings would show my guests another picturesque spot on the Broads and the moorings didn’t disappoint, with just one boat in plus a few canoeists preparing to start a journey, it was lovely sitting on the bench at the end. The swans were a bit nonplussed by Finlay, grumbled at him in no uncertain terms but then beetled off somewhere else. They do get themselves in a tizzy do swans, can’t say I’m particularly enamoured by them. 
With our fudge purchases safely stashed away back on board we had an early lunch and were just having a few minutes relaxation when Norfolk Lady came along. Not recognising my boat at first, I think they were about to leave but I caught their eye and realisation dawned. They moored up alongside for a few minutes’ chat before taking our space as we left. Nice to meet you at last Malcolm and Deb. 
As we were about to come out into Barton Broad proper, we saw the otter family near the bank. A nice end to the holiday. Also plenty of sailing boats out to keep my sister happy. She’s a good sailor, having had jobs in the past delivering yachts from the US to the Caribbean. Her husband got back to the UK yesterday morning from a sailing trip from Harwich across to Dunkirk and up the Belgian coast to Flushing I think she said.
Back at Richardsons and said pumpout, we got moored up and car packed for guests to return home. I can’t decide whether I’m pleased not to be going home today or envious of them on a slightly cooler journey than tomorrow. But it’s lovely here now, with a cooling breeze and the sun shining. 
Housework can wait till tomorrow morning, then that’s it till next month. 

Fuel worked out at 2.3 miles per litre. Wintertime it seems to be nearer 1.8 so that tells me the economy or otherwise of the diesel heater. I can live with  that to keep warm and use the boat all year round I think. 

• Like 5

Thanks again Kate. I have very much enjoyed your account of your trip with your Mum and sister. Different to your usual walking blogs but none the worse for that. 

Now that we have a syndicate website and most of the members have been posting blogs I've been fascinated about how we all have different priorities for our weeks on board, including those with young children who, of course, make sure that they stop places with playgrounds or open space for the kids to run off energy.

It just shows how flexible a Broads holiday is.

Thanks Helen. You’re right that there’s something for everyone here. I’m often surprised when people on Facebook ask about Great Yarmouth or biWilderwood or where the nearest place to hire bikes is, or whatever. You think that what you do is what everyone else does. 
I must admit I’ve missed my walks this week, felt a bit caged up some of the time, but we had fun and I’ve done some things I wouldn’t normally think of doing. I could do with staying on a few days though and just finding a nice quiet wild mooring somewhere. Not to be as I must be home tomorrow, for an appointment in Leeds, so it’s back to real life of watering the allotment and trying to find time to prep all the harvest for use or freezer. 

• Like 1

Good to meet up with you Kate and put faces to names!  We’ve seen more Forum member about this week than ever before, I think.  You’re right, we were thinking of looking elsewhere, but I thought I’d check the name of the boat first.  There aren’t that many orange Horizon 35’s around and I knew from your post yesterday that you were somewhere on The Ant!!

Its been busy with comings and goings here this evening, but it’s lovely now, all quiet and much cooler!

Have a safe journey home and we’ll catch up again soon!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back on the rivers for a couple of weeks and I seem to have a continuation of the weather I left in mid July Boating’s so easy isn’t it!!!!! (On ‘dry dog towel’ days). 

Wednesday 10th August

Rather a slow journey, seemed like every tractor on the fens was out on the roads, but at least they can get on with the harvest, even if there’s not so much to actually harvest this year with all the dry weather. 

After the usual round of greetings to fellow boat owners, unpacking, filling the water etc and taking the dog for a quick run (too hot for more) I decided on a trip to Sea Palling to check it out for my guests who are arriving next week. I’m not really a keen seasider, I detest sand (give me a rocky shore to clamber about on any day) but thought it’d be a bit cooler. Finlay played with a young girl who came to make his acquaintance but even he didn’t want to eat the sausage roll she buried for him!

And I’m pleased he only paddled, rather than wanted to swim as, unless he has a training dummy in his mouth, he tends to drink as he swims. I certainly don’t want a dog with salt poisoning. I had fish and chips and then treated myself to an icecream too. It was very busy at the beach, a real little holiday spot with an arcade and a little parade of shops. Parking was plentiful, cost £1.50 an hour or £7 all day I think. 

• Like 3

Quick update on my tomatoes. They’ve obviously enjoyed being on the boat in their canopy greenhouse. The waterbutt was nearly empty, so that 47L has lasted them for 3 weeks in a hot summer. 
D2D0DC97-3C4B-4F01-81A9-D4C40034A304.thumb.jpeg.c739a7b3f3bb1243783c2564249697ed.jpeg

Thursday 11th August

A trip to Tesco early on, and a walk  round the yard with the dog and we were ready for the off. With no particular destination in mind, I enjoyed the trip down the Ant. I seemed to be the only boat going south, plenty coming through other way. No one to wait for at Ludham Bridge though so straight through and onto the Bure. I thought I’d go and see if the wild mooring slightly upstream of Ranworth Dam entrance on the opposite bank was free but seeing as it wasn’t, I headed back downstream to the wild moorings alongside the pumping stations. It was lovely and breezy and I did something I’ve never done in the middle of the day before - got my picnic chair and a book and watched the boats go by under the shade of a tree. Finlay came and sat beside me which is unusual, although he couldn’t resist a few scoots round seeking out evidence of mice in the dried grass. 
A dad with two children came along on bicycles and a walker later. 
Finlay and I had a super walk round to Thurne mouth and back across the marsh in the ‘cool’ of the evening. I forgot to log it, but from the riverbank I headed through the gate on the levee along to Thurne mouth, and when I reached the black Upton Mill drainage mill I turned down past the cottage/shed, through the gate and down a shady track. The paths round the river had been very well maintained, no issues apart from a wasp nest in a hole in the ground on the path at one point.
9676842D-231E-4BA1-8BB1-38C3A77873B2.thumb.jpeg.b1407fc7bf6d5ffc0fb6117e3546a261.jpeg
The track from the mill comes out into the concrete farm track that services the fields on the marsh. A tractor driver was working late, topping the grass to get fresh growth for the cows, or perhaps actually mowing for a hopeful cut of hay. And towards the end of my walk, I came across a beautiful clump of blackberries, earmarked for picking in the morning. 

After feeding the dog, I sorted out some plums I’d brought from the allotment and I was looking forward to leek and potato soup i’d also brought from home. On opening the bag, it turned out to be stewed apple!!! So a change of plan with a salad instead, with apple and plums and crème fraiche for pudding.
Once all the boat traffic had died down the evening was very still with a lovely sunset. I would have liked to have stayed up for the potential meteor shower, but couldn’t keep awake. 
AD333F65-E91A-4736-8954-D0D22F7C4398.thumb.jpeg.fccbe57ea48667ec144bd377c837578d.jpeg

There seems to far more dayboats out than I remember from previous years and it was nice to see a couple of small sailing boats with teenagers on board having a great time late afternoon. Just the sort of thing I’d have done at that age, apart from the fact I don’t know how to sail! I used to go on walking/camping adventures instead. 

• Like 6

Friday 12th August

A misty start was lovely to wake up to. The bright sun showed the promise of the day ahead. 
40BCDC24-6416-4F07-82F5-F4DD10F62F9D.thumb.jpeg.e8d3cad4427af0740302ce97783c74d0.jpeg

After breakfast I was in a rush to take Finlay for a good walk before it got too hot. Not thinking much about it, I set off upstream towards Fleet Dyke. Ok for the first bit to the pumping station with the two dead trees, but decidedly overgrown past there, all the way round to Fleet Dyke. 
CEC2003F-C801-49A3-A24A-A7B1021E77F9.thumb.jpeg.3803188df700b452a9b28a02c7f30210.jpeg

Having only put on shorts and t shirt and walking sandals, I was extremely wet up to the waist by the time I got to the Fleet Dyke moorings. The morning mist and dew hadn’t yet burned off the waist high vegetation. 
I met a very nice man to talk to by the moorings, we discussed firstly the fact that they’d been moored there on their own overnight (or maybe with one other boat, but certainly extremely quiet), and the footpaths and being local, he was able to confirm what I suspected, that they are worse than previous years. 
I had intended to go as far as those moorings and turn back, but really didn’t want to go through all the long stuff again, so I continued round past the straight length of Env Agency moorings, along the lane past the boatyard and at the corner by the phone box, (now converted to an info centre), turned left to go up the lane to wards Pilson Green. Just on the left is a footpath across two fields which cuts off a bit of walking and more importantly got Finlay off the road as I hadn’t brought the lead with me. At the end of the path, turn left on the lane and it takes you past a cottage and onto the track across the marsh. It’s a straightforward walk up to the ‘2 dead trees’ pumping station and a right turn there took me back to my boat. All in all, about 3 miles and an hour and a half. 
I grabbed a plastic tub and the water bowl for the dog (he’s better drinking outside when really thirsty as he’s very messy!) and went to pick blackberries. There were just so many and really pristine. It didn’t take more than 10 mins to pick a tub full. 
BF77CBF5-6951-446B-B7FE-3390A5778BE4.thumb.jpeg.edf734a4134a6843f7f52fad2b61a3f4.jpeg

These are now converted into blackberry gin. I can assure you it’ll be less sweet than the lot I took to the meet at Salhouse!

DC66A109-5095-419E-84CC-9703352D33CD.thumb.jpeg.670fd49e9eb33290e5820537f9d416ec.jpeg

500g blackberries, 215g sugar and 1litre of gin, with plenty of room in the demijohn for more when I buy some more gin next week. I’ll probably take it home for safekeeping until ready for straining and bottling in December. 
Not a lot else done today as I decided I had enjoyed the peace and quiet so much the day before that I’d repeat the experience. 
I quizzed in the evening after checking I had a good signal. I promised the quizzers I’d post a photo or two of the sunset I’d seen while online with them. You can just make out two boats going past in the second photo.

E0F1F3E9-ED96-4351-A443-807EB08F8A95.thumb.jpeg.6d7a0819427a35b4234d11afc57367fb.jpeg

82F6E320-C375-43A7-A777-72AB7DC5CA48.thumb.jpeg.9e63d934148557069852f9c2ac168616.jpeg

I also took a lovely moonshot later. 

8B36196D-33C8-4887-999F-7BD133A0723D.thumb.jpeg.0c8094a419d5dbc14b73f4135e8ca1fb.jpeg

Then off to bed in readiness for a busy day with early start on an adventure to Beccles!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Saturday 13th August

The day for my adventure off the boat arrived with another super sunrise. 
33B788D0-B0AE-4638-9145-E55E0A6887CB.thumb.jpeg.a5b0ce21866f86fed83b2977475db9f3.jpeg

I was underway before 8, early for me and 3/4 hour later I was moored up at Acle bridge. The dog and I both had our breakfasts and set off into Acle up the path that goes alongside the main road to catch the first of two buses. I usually walk into the village by going along the river and up Acle Dyke, but this way was quicker according to Google maps. Might be quicker, but less relaxing as there are various ‘exits’ into the road. So a word of warning for dog owners, be careful of letting them off lead along there. 
A bus was at the stop when I got there, it was the one earlier than mine that was running late so I hopped on and sat next to a chatty young man, we talked ‘dogs’ all the way into Norwich, so much so that I missed my stop and ended up at the bus station! The next bus I needed started from there, so it was easy to get off one and straight onto the next, parked in front. I must say I was very impressed, and pleased I’d chosen a route only involving one bus company as I know you often have to walk a few minutes in Norwich to get to the next ‘hub’ of bus stops if changing company too. It was £5.30 return from Acle into Norwich and out to Beccles, just the one ticket needed. 
In Beccles I walked down to the yacht station and very soon felt welcomed by one and all at the wooden boat show. After chatting to Ynys Mon (Helen and Grahame) and PetersJoy (Paul) I found a little cafe along Fen Lane on Helen’s recommendation, to buy a bottle of water and a cup of tea. Highly friendly owners and again, very chatty. The whole day was a blur of chatting and looking over beautiful boats, thank you all so much. I managed to fill in half the quiz questions through spending far too long talking as usual!!

After the prizegiving, Grahame had offered me a lift back to Acle, but we then ascertained that the owners of Eastwood Whelpton boatyard were going that way, so they kindly took me back to my boat. Again, conversation flowed in the car with common places we knew etc. 

I arrived back sometime after 7 and was surprised to see a few mooring spots still free. 

No photos of the boats, too busy talking I’m afraid!

A lovely day out and I’d urge anyone around the Broads next year to get themselves along there. 

• Like 5

Sunday 14th August

After yesterday’s excursion I felt in no hurry to get up. Good thing too as I woke at 5 something and the next thing I knew it was 7.30. 
Today I needed to move towards Wroxham to meet Tony (hubby) and our friends who are arriving tomorrow. So a good dog walk was on the cards, seeing as he’d spent most of the day on the lead yesterday. 
On the opposite bank to the Acle Bridge Inn is a footpath that leads to Stokesby so that was the plan. It starts by going across the main road and through a gate between the two sheds on the 24hr moorings side of the river. Nicely kept all the way down to Stokesby with nice views through being slightly elevated. 
Walking opposite Acle Dyke I mused as to whether the odd black and white boat that’s always moored there was, in fact, owned by a baddie in a James Bond movie.
08899F1D-362A-4AA5-AB8D-8F6FFADE580D.thumb.jpeg.3b3d4b433f803647323d9c8e1232cc7f.jpeg

I also caught sight of ‘Daughter’s Inheritance’ that always makes me chuckle when I go past. Is it ‘this is my inheritance to you, dear daughter’ or, ‘daughter, I’ve spent your inheritance’?

The path meets the pumping station and then carries on by going back up the bank rather than along the bottom track which leads to a cottage. 

It was nice to see the cottage by the drainage mill having some renovation work. What a lovely spot to be. 
D8B9D775-8586-43BF-AFF4-19FE483AEFAA.thumb.jpeg.c2e393ada47a9f9f6a8c6cd2c593cf0d.jpeg

Getting hot by this time, there was the choice of returning to Acle bridge from here on a circular route or carrying on to Stokesby. Finlay answered the question by finding a swimming spot for himself to cool off and have a drink,

39296CE8-DE6E-4C48-9C7A-7CC6FC1EFDD0.thumb.jpeg.2a2fc58c6ce22595e27911675711427f.jpeg

so knowing he’d be ok, we carried on, past the moored private boats on the left on the way round the bend to the village, onto the lane, across the green and you can guess where I was headed - the Ferry Inn, for a well earned drink. An enjoyable stop and then we set off back again, retracing our steps as far as the cottage and then walking up the concrete track (Muck Fleet on the map). 
It’s full of dragonflies and I was wowed by a kingfisher whistling past us on a straight route up the track, surprising as by this time the track had turned at right angles away from the river. I had always presumed they stayed along the bank. 
On reaching a ‘crossroads’ with another farm track, just past a concrete hardstanding for FYM, (maybe that’s why it’s called muck fleet?) the path continued in front and came out into the lane between Acle and Stokesby  Turning left over the little bridge on the lane, you could then do a circular back to Stokesby by taking the path along the dyke side to the right, but I was heading back to Acle bridge, so walked along the lane to the main road (the old road to Yarmouth), crossed it, walked left along the headland of a field to avoid the road for a bit (not an official path!) and did the last few yards on the road in the lay-by and back to the Dunes cafe which was very busy by the time I arrived. A couple of swans with 8 children (is there a population explosion this year?) deterred me from letting Finlay cool off in the water, so he went in at the start of the moorings (on his lead so I could pull him back out). 
I still wasn’t back at the boat though because I got sidetracked talking to a friendly couple on a Hampton 25 for a while. I think Finlay was pleased when we eventually got to the boat. The walk was about 3.5 miles, about 3/4 hour each way. 

• Like 5

Stokesby is generally well off for footpaths, some short, some long, mostly circular. 
I don’t mind the heat as it’s been this weekend, as long as I can find a breeze. And Finlay manages well too as long as he can find some swimming/paddling water every now and again. I wouldn’t want to take him off down the disused railway line where I live for instance, but round here is ok. 

• Like 1