Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

if its vertigo it can be helped by certain of the seasickness pills (not the homeopathic ones) stugeron (i recall) is one that helps, it contains the same ingredients as the tablets the dr prescribes (or at least the same as the ones I was prescribed) for labyrinthitis, but in smaller quantity

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

I suffer the reverse after a long sea day at sea I cannot stay still on land.

It has  name but I cannot remember what it is.

paul

That is quite common, very strange the first time you stand at a bar swaying from side to side (before the beer) on dry land.

• Like 1

I have experienced that, we went on holiday to france, a we live so close to dover port, it was actually cheaper to travel every day on the ferry and sleep at home, than getting a hotel room, so after 3 days of rough channel crossings, it took a further day to regain our land legs.

A lovely meal in the Rising Sun for two of us last night, our third party member filling herself up on quells and paracetamol instead. She was out for the count most of the afternoon and asleep when we went out and when we came back. 
This morning, much more cheery, a slight remnant of a migraine. But it’s good to have her back!

We sauntered up to the lock ‘just because we could’ but not to stop, then down to pass under the bridge at Wroxham with an extra couple inches over yesterday, filling with water at Bridge Broad yard on the way past. A visit round the Hoveton Nature Trail was followed by lunch stop at Salhouse. Im sure this is identical to previous trips with other folk, but timings seem to work well. And on to Fleet Dyke, via a look in at Ranworth staithe. 
We’re seeing a lot of kingfishers this week, along with herons and great crested grebes. One cheeky kingfisher was sitting on a mooring post at the Hoveton viaduct moorings and gave us a fishing display as we went past. 
Raining now, but forecast to  stop round midnight. 

• Like 3

We woke to a really nice morning. As we were moored at the far end of the moorings on the big bend down Fleet  Dyke with our bow pointing upstream, we felt very secluded and relaxed as we sat in the front well with cups of tea in hand. 
We have Finlay a good walk down the path past the other moorings, along the lane, down Kingfisher Lane and round to turn back along Broad Lane, admiring the properties as we went. Finlay is getting to be a real pain on-lead. I mentioned it before, but I really have got to sort it out. The problem is because of having so many walks with friends over the summer where we have a destination, instead of a wander with just me where I can go really slowly and keep turning in different directions to keep him thinking. 
Our next stop was the tourist trap of How Hill (!) as my guests wanted a shop to buy a souvenir that said Norfolk Broads and a gooseberry icecream-easily done there. They had a look round wherry Hathor and a wander along to the skeleton pumps. We missed the secret garden as there’s not much colour at the moment but they explored the marshman’s cottage. 
Our last cruise was up the Ant, along to Neatishead with no intention of staying. I reminisced about the first time that daughter Catherine and I had tried to turn round there. It took about half hour! And then we’d gone to Gayes staithe for our first stern-on mooring and I was about as much use as a chocolate teapot ‘cos I got so stressed by our lack of progress that I went and hid in the bedroom so I didn’t fall out with Catherine! How times change!!

Back to Stalham where Finley unfortunately nearly did a Purdey when coming into moor (if you were at Beccles wooden boat show you’ll know what I mean). He did hit land though. Usually the back door is shut but Mary was out there guiding me in and in his haste to get to the car, as to him it’s the best place in the world, he escaped out the back door. He was in disgrace for the next hour, certainly knew he’d done wrong. He’s normally very well behaved when mooring, needs to be when I’m on my own with him. 
A drive round to the White Horse at Neatishead after a stop off for fudge rounded off a lovely few days. We had a tasty meal and I know now to advise ordering either a starter with a side, or a ‘small plate’ as the main meal portions seem too big for us ‘of our age’. 
Tomorrow will be washing and cleaning day before a couple more friends come on Friday. Oh, what a life! 

• Like 8

It’s nice having the boat to myself for a while!
All washing done, beds made ready for Friday, food shop still to do, and boat washed. I even cleaned out the window gutters, a gutty job!

I’ve bought a new brush that can be connected to the hose, wasn’t sure whether I was meant to be using the hose at the moment down here, but thought I’d give it a go to clean the boat off before a soapy sponge down. Well, I’d put my shorts in the wash and had a change of clothes on, shouldn’t have done as I got soaked, with water spurting out all over the place. I’ll have to get some plumbers tape to tighten up the screw threads. 

• Like 2

On 14/09/2022 at 19:17, kpnut said:

thought I’d give it a go to clean the boat off before a soapy sponge down. Well, I’d put my shorts in the wash and had a change of clothes on, shouldn’t have done as I got soaked, with water spurting out all over the place.

Oh kpnut, the comments that I could make due to this paragraph :default_biggrin:

BroadsExplorer-not sure what I said but very happy to cause amusement!!

A whole day to do as I wished, doesn’t often happen apart from when I’m here at the boat. 
A little jaunt round the yard for a pumpout, and a shopping trip for food for my guests tomorrow, bearing in mind the shops will be closed in all likelihood on Monday in respect for her Majesty. 

I had a wonderful afternoon visiting Helen, Graham and Harry on Water Rail. Helen and I, plus the two dogs walked round Upton marshes, perhaps longer than we’d planned initially but neither of us had thought to ask the other how far we were going to go, so we went about 4 1/2 miles. 

During the day the weather has definitely turned more autumnal, chillier and a northerly wind. Tomorrow the Stalham area is forecast winds of about 45mph for a few hours along with rain. It must be something to do with my friend Judith arriving, as we have experienced stormy weather before, nearly pulling the mooring posts out at Salhouse Broad in September 2020 before moving the boat side-on!

We’ll get going down the Ant as soon as they arrive as the forecast for Ranworth/Horning direction seems better. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, kpnut said:

BroadsExplorer-not sure what I said but very happy to cause amusement!!

I apologise kpnut, it is purely my silly mind twisting your words and I mean no offence to you or anyone else :default_biggrin:

I am enjoying reading your adventures, they make me wish I was able to write my own.

I do think I have seen you around the rivers once or twice but being a liveaboard I try and keep my head down 

7 minutes ago, BroadsExplorer said:

I apologise kpnut, it is purely my silly mind twisting your words and I mean no offence to you or anyone else :default_biggrin:

Certainly no need to apologise!!!!

Please do give me a wave if I go past. It makes the day so much more cheerful. 

As planned, my friends arrived and we set off about 11.30 from Stalham. The rain had been squally all morning and showed no sign of improving. The forecast wind was a bit late arriving, but as the day has progressed, it’s certainly shown up. 
I got wet on stopping at How Hill for the others to look round  Hathor and the cottage. Finlay was only meant to go out for a quick wee, but decided to go further, I followed and got caught without a coat in yet another heavy shower. That’s the third time in the past week I’ve got wet!

We’d seen Water Rail at Irstead, beeping as we went past and immediately afterwards saw an otter swimming across. That was very closely followed by a kingfisher and later we saw a marsh harrier, so a good day. 
Lunch at How Hill, then we proceeded to Womack Dyke. The river Ant looked extremely high, we were halfway to high tide. Judith who’s been with me a number of times said it made the Ant look much wider than normal. The water at Ludham Bridge was just on the top of the sill. The water was nearly overtopping the boatyard quay as well. Is this due to a blocking tide at Great Yarmouth? I think I remember someone explaining when it’s a northerly wind it piles the sea up at Great Yarmouth so the river water can’t get out. 
Seeing as it was still a rising tide when we arrived at Womack dyke I went past and turned round to come in against the tide, realising while turning I’d definitely misjudged the wind. The boat turned on a sixpence in the wind. So now I was facing the mooring and being blown onto it far more quickly than I wanted. I didn’t want to plough into the yacht in front so aborted that and went past the other end of the mooring to turn again and come in against the wind. If I’d turned at the other end in a minute or so, this time it took ages as every time I reversed, the front just got blown back where it had just come from! Even the bow thruster wasn’t a great deal of help. Anyway, we eventually got turned again and I came into moor very sedately and safely. I had to lower all the fenders and use a spring line, or perhaps my version of it! Whatever, it felt quite safe and secure. 
Feeling rather cold, we all donned full waterproof gear (when was the last time I wore that lot I ask myself?) and walked up to Ludham on a couple of miles walk round the lanes. We didn’t get wet at all, although it soon started sheeting down after we arrived back at the boat. 
A snug evening, I think it got dark rather early this evening, with cottage pie for tea that Judith had brought from home. 
Hopefully the better weather will arrive again tomorrow. 
One good thing about the wind-it’s reminded me of where the draughts are, so next time I’m here I’ll be putting in some draught exclusion strips etc. 

• Like 4

Hi Kate yes you are right regarding the tides when the wind is in the north it pushes the sea in to Yarmouth and stops the falling tide from leaving also the low pressure makes a difference too. 

Hope you enjoy the rest of your time on board and the weather improves. 

Roy 

• Thanks 1

The riverbank footpath from Womack Dyke to Potter Heigham has been cut, and an excellent job made of it too, celebrations all round. This was one of the ones I’d reported, but wouldn’t like to say whether it had made a difference. 

6FE9407D-7268-4916-A144-ED9D607A42A8.thumb.jpeg.0236aaa9061dbe05abfe224e67c8c635.jpeg

No rain all the way to Potter Heigham but as soon as we got into the dog friendly room (which I didn’t know existed till this morning) at Bridgestones, the heavens opened again. No matter, we were nice and snug with our hot chocolate and coffee. It was busy and all tables were full. When the others went off to introduce themselves to Lathams, a group came in but with no tables free were leaving again, so I vacated our table for them. 
The river was nearly overtopping the quay heading at the 24hr moorings, it was 1/2 hour off low tide. 
We walked back the same way as I wasn’t sure how muddy the footpath that skirts the fields would be. I had wanted to walk back along the far side of Herbert Woods moorings, then taking a left turn through a wood to come back onto the river path behind the chalets, following it along to the end of the chalets and past the private stretch of mooring before turning right over the pumping station bridge, up the track and turning left along that path back to emerge at Hunters Yard, but knowing that both the wood and that footpath can get very muddy, decided against it. 
We met a delightful young springer spaniel taking her owners for a walk from Womack Dyke moorings, but as usual Finlay wasn’t interested in playing no matter what the pup did to entice him. 
We’d got a drenching as we left Potter but by the time we were back the sun was out and our waterproofs were dry. 
After a salad lunch, we set off, destination a bit unknown, but somewhere down the Bure. Boundary Farm moorings were free but we’d only just set off, Upton Dyke end had virtually no posts or quay heading showing with the high water level, I thought about the end of Upton Dyke on the staithe, glad I didn’t try it as Helen on Water Rail posted on her thread later that it was full, Acle seemed full on the 24hr side, Hall Farm moorings were nearly overtopping, so the choice was Acle Bridge Inn, the old Pedro moorings or carry on. I fancied seeing if the wild mooring just before Stokesby was free and knowing we had plan B to fall back in, we carried on. It was free and I’ve decided it’s a super little mooring.

856BB1FE-0629-4D3E-A0CE-2DC53FEC0121.thumb.jpeg.2551a5d4fc5bd5bb5830be026710776f.jpeg
After tea, an investigation was conducted-we’d read about a salt surge and put it to the test by sampling the river water. Oh my word, it was saltier than the sea!!!!!! Poor fish and invertebrates is all I can say. 

What a beautiful evening after such a windy, wet day. 

A9881782-C8AF-4AB4-869E-22DDD309CEE3.thumb.jpeg.16da4be6df4285c1067354f952c34fa8.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BroadsLady said:

Enjoying your tales and photos very much Kate. That last photo sums it up for me, I could sit on a boat watching that view all night long 

Oh I agree, sat out on the bow with a glass of wine with your loved one, under a blanket and just enjoying the view. Heaven

15 hours ago, SwanR said:

Not sure what the weather is going to do today

I don’t think it knew either, Jean!

Overnight had been peaceful, no bow slap but the wind did get up again after dawn. I had a lovely surprise early on as I looked out and saw Helen on Water Rail going past on their way to G.Yarmouth. 
Over breakfast the wind dropped again. 
Our morning walk was 2 3/4hours and 6 miles or so long. We decided we’d walk to Acle via Tunstall Dyke and back round via Acle Dyke after visiting the co-op. Firstly along the river in the Stracey Arms direction as far as a pump house, listening to the guns of a clay shoot that often seems to take place in the nearby wood on a Sunday. The dog was completely unfazed.
E06CDA3D-99A8-4E63-ABED-A457D6EC6A9B.thumb.jpeg.196360eee8d08ba759822b749ee5e54b.jpeg

Along the dyke path and over the Acle Straight (that took ages and was a bit worrying!). The next path led over the railway line between Acle and Yarmouth

B8B4907E-1BD1-4921-ACEE-D489650D9766.thumb.jpeg.a88dd090ce2380edfe152b2f64a0ad2a.jpeg

until we reached a sign saying ‘permissive path to the Weavers Way’. That allowed us to cut the corner off. We followed that past a farm building,

671A7195-0D0C-43A8-8CB4-EF0C9ACA6FCB.thumb.jpeg.c220e77b4afec3f7c05076af8ba8ae48.jpeg

along a dyke between two fields of beautiful cows until eventually coming to a sign saying ‘railway station 1/4 mile’. I know the co-op is near the station so we went down that onto a lane, turned right at the end, under the railway bridge and to the co-op opposite the church. After a bit of shopping, we continued along the high street, stopping at the pub for a quick drink, on to Acle Dyke where we followed the right hand bank down to the river. I’ve done this walk before in reverse so knew it was Ok to walk down that side, but if it had been my first time I’d have been very intimidated by the signs on the gate-no trespassing, dogs worrying livestock will be shot, etc. To be sure of not getting on the wrong side of anyone, we hopped up on the concrete wall and walked along that, so as not to be trespassing on the track just to the side of us. Silly really! It came eventually to a more obvious path and down to the river where it was then an easy walk back down to the boat. 
We’d stayed dry all the way round but before long the wind got up again and it was raining hard. 
Lunch followed the same pattern of cheese, ham, salad etc and then we left this lovely mooring to make our way up to Bridgecraft to fill with water. I was dreading mooring there in all the wind, but we managed ok and carried on up the Bure, very choppy in places depending on the compass direction we were facing. There were so few boats on the river that j surmised they all moored up early and hunkered down away from the wind, so I wasn’t surprised to find no room along Fleet Dyke. We had a trip round the broad and then went back down to the wild moorings along the Bure near the pumping stations. We moored up in the dry, by the time I’d got back in to let the dog out it was raining again, on and off through the early evening until a front passed over and left a beautiful clear sky behind it and we were treated to a lovely sunset again. 
So you see Jean, you never know what’s in store!!!!!

• Like 6

We saw Springers Retreat moored just outside Stokesby heading towards Acle, so watched out to see if we could see you as we headed up river.  I guess it was around 11:30 - 12:00.

I thought I saw a single water hose in the basin behind Bridgecraft (that used to be Pedro’s).  If it was, it’ll be much easier to access than trying to moor stern on on the main river.  We’re still on Womack Dyke.  Not moving until after the funeral.

• Thanks 1

We didn’t set off from that wild mooring till after lunch. Thanks for the heads up about ‘Pedro’s basin’ water tap, I’ll take a look next time I’m that way and report if it works or not. I don’t think I’d have stopped at bridgecraft if I’d had to go stern on in that wind. 
We decided today to try for a mooring at Ranworth, not my favourite spot by a long chalk, but I could do with topping up the batteries a bit on the electric. So we set off earlier than usual (9 o clock is early god us!). And we got the only space at the time, down the side dyke. Soon after, a number of others became available so perhaps we were a bit early for the ‘vacancies’ but I didn’t want to be out on the rivers during the funeral. 
We rigged up the TV, signal was a bit intermittent each time the boat moved too far. We sat and watched and the dog was very reverent too. I think he hadn’t got a clue what was going on so just stared at us and dozed off. We sang the hymns, I sang the one anthem I knew, hope I didn’t upset the neighbours! And we watched some of the procession afterwards while eating lunch, but after a while I couldn’t take any more band music, much as I love it, so we went out for a walk to Ranworth church, where we noticed a book of condolences for anyone who wishes to write in it. Then we followed the lane towards Woodbastwick, turning left at a junction, up to the end to a slightly bigger road and after about 200yards turned left to Panxworth Tower. The footpath from there back to Ranworth is lovely, if a bit worrying as you walk through someone’s garden at one point. Turning left onto the road and taking a right turn along the track soon after, on the bend, takes you round through the woods with minor glimpses of South Walsham Broad through the trees (it’s a better view in winter). It comes out on the lane that leads back to the staithe. There are new signs up along the lane, saying SSSI and Malthouse Broad conservation area. A few small bits of info, but not really telling you much. Hopefully soon, there’ll be a proper board up with the aim of the work etc. 

Everyone here at Ranworth seemed very respectful, just one boat moved during the service, which is nice to see, but in my book not an obligation to stay put. Down to personal choice really as long as what you do doesn’t impact on others. 

• Like 5