Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

Sam, it’s because they’re built differently. Desmond is the equivalent of Usain Bolt and Finlay is Haile Gebrselassie the marathon runner. 
In biological terms, Desmond will have more of the right muscle fibres to give a quick burst of energy, but they tire more quickly. Finlay has the right muscle fibres for endurance. He can run all day long when working and doesn’t realise he’s tired until he stops. 
Thats why different breeds of dog have evolved/been bred selectively for different jobs. 
If we had them both off lead, there’s no way Finlay, although fast for a spaniel, would keep up with Desmond. Horses for courses. 
And I very much envy you the ‘wipe-clean’ version!!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kpnut said:

That’s the one Helen. Now on my list. I haven’t been in Upton church either so that’s an easy one to go to sometime. And now you’ve given me a couple for when I get bored of diy when moored ‘at home’. 
Have you ever been in that church with the imposing round tower on the road between Stalham and Wroxham?

I’m looking forward to going back there on my next trip and investigating. The view across from the field I walked along between the church and Oby was super so a higher up one will be brilliant. 

Beeston St Lawrence? No I haven't visited that one yet. I been prioritising churches with rood screens. I gather it has a lot of memorials to the Paston family. 

• Like 1

Friday 6th January

Another sunny start. All that was needed today was a short amble back to my home mooring at Stalham. Managed in a timely fashion with no issues other than feeling sad that another fantastic trip was coming to an end. When I hired boats, I absolutely hated that last morning up the Ant, knowing I should enjoy the last moments but well aware that it was the ‘final’. Now I just love noticing the seasons changing etc. 

A perfect stern-mooring with no-one to see!!! Typical. My best yet, thanks to very little wind. 

One job of the day was to go to Rackheath to pick up a basin unit I’d ordered before Christmas. Noticing the very long queue of traffic from Norwich waiting to go through the temporary 3way lights at Roy’s garage roundabout on the far side of Wroxham, I came back via Salhouse and didn’t queue at the lights at all. Maybe they’re not set quite right, as the queue out of Wroxham was much shorter than the one heading into Wroxham. 

All that was left was to join the quiz in the evening. I’d been absent a while, being away and busy in the weeks running up to Christmas, so it was good to get involved again. Not that I knew much!!

A side note - if SteveO is reading-I managed to sort out the boat by tightening the far side sternrope so the boat couldn’t reach across. Good thing I checked the mudweight rope, it wasn’t attached to the cleat!

• Like 5

I know what you mean about that last cruise on the Ant, I get quite emotional :default_rolleyes: As slow as is possible and always the last to arrive back. I've even had the engineers looking at their watches and shaking their heads :default_biggrin:

This is a lovely blog, thank you x

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thursday 16th Feb

My birthday!!!!

And that was a walk and a half today. It was actually the exact walk (with a couple of extra short ‘getting lost’ detours) but done differently to my plan. 

Being here for a couple of days to check on the boat refit work I’d decided my birthday would be spent on an exploration of the Halvergate marshes. The plan was to park at Wickhampton church, head across the marsh to pick up the Weavers way to Berney Arms, then up the river towards Yarmouth and turn across the marsh again at Lockgate Mill. 
I had intended to watch the video of it that Ynys Mon had posted a week or so ago, but for various reasons, hadn’t. 
The walk started on a concrete track by the church and was very pleasant, dry underfoot even though it’s rained today, and not muddy. It then branched left along a wide grassy track, again clean. At one point there were some signs saying cows and calves in one field and bull in another, and there weren’t any in sight. I was musing on this and thinking maybe the signs should be put there only when there are, to stop people just ignoring them and then coming a cropper. I was also thinking that the Broads still has plenty of wildlife, after putting up numerous, and large, flocks (skeins?) of geese and seeing quite a few pairs of swans in the dykes and, for better or worse, a number of muntjac deer. I would think there are water voles too as I heard a few ‘plops’ every now and again. 
442AF663-771B-40D7-B570-A0EC49ECD2FA.thumb.jpeg.32f031780fdd82c82df94be366ef9952.jpeg

B087D16D-62DB-4361-83F8-E54096AC4DA8.thumb.jpeg.95af735afe5e5226cac74eb7601ea799.jpeg
I carried on my merry way, but getting a bit puzzled about the various landmarks I could see as, by this time, some didn’t quite match the map. It’s quite disorientating as at one point I could see 7 wind pumps, but a few minutes later only 4 maybe. It’s so low lying that the perspective is very odd. 
I kept on, going through gates that weren’t locked and over bits of planks across dykes but thinking more and more that I didn’t know where I was. The gates seemed to have signs on - some had white strips of vinyl nailed on as a cross, and other had the same strips but in the shape of an arrow. I only realised this after going through some gates with crosses! At one point I used the compass to check and was going in completely the opposite direction to what my gut was telling me. Most odd I thought. I do have confidence in my map reading skills! 
D8C0CD62-5DA8-4CBB-9740-E674FCBB5A62.thumb.jpeg.1f8fa7500ddddcce83f9a7d08a53bc45.jpeg

I arrived at a junction that sort of looked on the map like one I could have been at, but the Acle Straight by this time seemed rather too close. 
I should have crossed the railway by this time too (well a long time ago). 

To cut a long story short, I’d missed the path onto the Weavers Way right back where the ‘bull in field’ sign was, and had by now completely reversed my walk. I realised once I got to two mills near each other, High’s mill and Howard’s mill with farm buildings nearby. Then it all made sense again. 
I was about 2km north of where I’d intended to be, oops!!

3744CEC1-74DA-4361-A929-D992E4D72D79.thumb.jpeg.a507cacb8fc4e30993e348f530d34ecc.jpeg

A cottage called Marsh Farm by Howard’s mill was very pretty by goodness knows where the access is. Surely they don’t drive down this track?

DD6F6564-26FE-4BA2-ADDF-81F70FF47F67.thumb.jpeg.b6fc0e141ab1517c58029a567515012d.jpeg

E08D2F79-DFD5-4F08-BB8A-62A4C1DF78D9.thumb.jpeg.9e0cf9456dd2ebca37a100ddb2a4d135.jpeg

I came down to Breydon just by Lockgate Mill and was very happy to see the water.

20569109-DB55-463F-BE4E-F6D2F331748C.thumb.jpeg.ba3523caea5617227e06ecf524f4beb4.jpeg

I followed the river path south west to Berney Ams. The phone was getting low on power and I was hoping for one last photo at Berney Arms but it ran out of juice before the yellow post at the Yare junction came into view. I was treated to seeing the train from Lowestoft stopping at the Berney Arms railway station. Later, I looked up the timetable to find it was the 3.24, so at least I had a marker for the time at that point, not being able to check the time in my dead phone. I was not at all impressed by the mud bath at the Berney Arms moorings and ‘note to self’ that if mooring there, to be as near to the mill as possible as it’s the only clean bit of bank. 

Turning up the weavers way, away from the river at Berney Arms I started to pick up the footpath signs from one gate to the next. Good, I thought, it’ll be easy now, but even do I managed to lose the path between the mill and the railway station! And after crossing the line, at one gate/bridge I went through it distinctly pointed me to carry on alongside the dyke. Doing this and thinking ‘these dykes are getting a bit wide’ with no planks across, I reminisced about a holiday I once had in the Vendee in France, a wetland similar in many ways to the Broads, without the boats. To jump the dykes, the marshmen do something called ‘ningle jumping’ using a long stout pile they sort of polevault across the dykes, but without letting go of their ningle pole. I could have done with one. It got a bit out of hand and I realised I was off course yet again. Not being able to check the time, I knew it was getting on as the light was beginning to fade and I certainly didn’t want to be wandering round in circles on the marsh in the dark, so made for a gateway that looked promising and sure enough, picked up the path again. This then returned me to the ‘bull in field’ gateway and it was just a matter of retracing my steps along the grassy track and then the concrete road. 
Once back at my accommodation, I watched the video and the lad did say he had gone off course a few times, even though it wasn’t his first time doing his walk. 

The problem is losing the landmarks so easily. You move away from a dyke to get over a side dyke and you only have to go a few yards and the dyke you were following just disappears and the marsh just looks completely flat again. During the day, not too much of an issue but with fading light it does become a bit more urgent to know where you are. 
my other problem was I don’t know the features of the individual mills, so what I initially thought was Polkeys mill in the distance was actually Berney Arms so when I started straying away from it, it didn’t seem odd. I would not want to be out there if it was misty. 

On the way back up the concrete track I spotted a barn owl flying across the field toward the track. I stopped and it flew in front of me, going behind a tree. I crept forward slowly and it appeared again between two trees, straight down the middle of the track toward me, then, suddenly noticing me, veered off slightly to my side. But then, about three arms lengths away, it just stayed hovering and staring straight at me as if to say “ hello, what are you doing here?”  It then just floated away, certainly not fazed by its encounter with me. 

This is going to be one of my ‘must do’ walks when cruising on the south side with my walking buddy. I saw so much wildlife, and at one point I commented to myself on the noise -all the geese. 

At the point the phone ran out, my mileage counter said 5 miles, so I imagine the whole walk would be approx 9 or so. 

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Once back at my accommodation, I watched the video and the lad did say he had gone off course a few times, even though it wasn’t his first time doing his walk. 

Happy birthday!

Wow, that was an adventure! As I started to read your account I recalled the lad saying they’d gone off course. I once commented on one of his vlogs that he seemed very familiar with the Broads and he replied that he’d lived in Potter Heigham when young. So if he can almost get lost the marshes it’s not surprising that the rest of us do.

By the way, I read on the Norfolk Churches website that the church at Wickhampton is particularly interesting, especially the medieval wall paintings.

image.jpeg.44f0cccb252e67263a5c8a4be088ac6c.jpeg

http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/wickhampton/wickhampton.htm

• Thanks 1

Belated happy birthday, Kate!  Certainly sounds as if you had an enjoyable day.

How are the works going on your boat?  I’m off up to Horning Pleasurecraft later this morning to check the results of our annual winter maintenance on Moonlight Shadow, the new saloon upholstery in particular.  We’ve already seen Norfolk Lady and work completed on her, which we are very pleased with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday Kate! 🥳💖

What an adventure. Like Lulu I have no sense of direction so I would have got hopelessly lost. Managed to scare myself on a short walk through Epping Forest a few years back when every tree looked like the next.  :default_rofl:

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Lulu said:

I have no sense of direction whatsoever

I do Sam and it still didn’t make any difference!!

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

the church at Wickhampton is particularly interesting, especially the medieval wall paintings.

They do look interesting. What a shame it was locked. 

15 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

How are the works going on your boat?

Exciting day then Malcolm, seeing Norfolk Lady in new clothes!
The work on mine is going very well thanks, but I feel extremely guilty about how much it’s all costing. I expect what I’ve spent since I bought her nearly 2 years ago, both family and yard work is getting towards the ceiling price if I were to resell (not that I have any intention of doing so!) and I still have flooring and then refurbing the exterior to do. Putting too much money into a 44 year old ex hire boat is potentially a daft thing to do. 

New calorifier with immersion, and new fuel tank will be big enhancements. 
New TV on the wall is something I might not have dared do myself as it meant drilling through the wall to the exterior. I’d have been afraid of wrecking the boat! It’s on 12v or 240v for all occasions and just the aerial to finish sorting. I’m grateful for all the advice I’ve received from forum members. Generally, wiring has been sorted while there was plenty of access with the cupboards etc out of the way. 
The galley looks fab but is something family could have done if I’d been more patient. I’m happy I gave the bathroom job to LBBY as the floor was rotten and I don’t know how to do fibreglass work. I seriously need to learn.
Once I started I kept adding extra jobs, again to just get it done while easy access etc. Plumbing a new shower and fitting new vanity unit and basin is certainly something Tony and Roald could have done but I got in the mindset of ‘just get it done’. And of course I’m well aware I have to pay the  hefty price for that!!!!

George and co have worked really thoughtfully on this whole project and I feel she’s been in very good hands. I hope to get her back in about 10 days. 

So all together an overspend. Perhaps in the back of my mind I always knew that was going to be the case once I got labour costs involved, something I’ve avoided so far in my life, having a handy family, but I do want to enjoy the boat without having to nag people to come and get on with jobs! And I hope my mum (who’s sad passing has helped with the expenses) would think it was worthwhile. She did enjoy her trips. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I know what you both mean, Jean and Gracie. 
I once got so lost when taking the dog for a walk in our local ‘forest’ that I took over two hours to find my way out and only just arrived at the church with 2 mins to spare to play the organ for evensong. In the days before mobile phones, so it looked like I was a bit unreliable! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I feel extremely guilty about how much it’s all costing.  Putting too much money into a 44 year old ex hire boat is potentially a daft thing to do. 

I wouldn't worry about putting some money into an old boat.  You won't recoup every penny but come re-sale time all these extras will help retain some value.  Plus think how much it would cost to hire a boat for the amount of time you spend on board.

I shudder to think what my final bill will be but I've seen people spend a lot more on older boats, whatever makes you happy.  :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I do Sam and it still didn’t make any difference!!

They do look interesting. What a shame it was locked. 

Exciting day then Malcolm, seeing Norfolk Lady in new clothes!
The work on mine is going very well thanks, but I feel extremely guilty about how much it’s all costing. I expect what I’ve spent since I bought her nearly 2 years ago, both family and yard work is getting towards the ceiling price if I were to resell (not that I have any intention of doing so!) and I still have flooring and then refurbing the exterior to do. Putting too much money into a 44 year old ex hire boat is potentially a daft thing to do. 

New calorifier with immersion, and new fuel tank will be big enhancements. 
New TV on the wall is something I might not have dared do myself as it meant drilling through the wall to the exterior. I’d have been afraid of wrecking the boat! It’s on 12v or 240v for all occasions and just the aerial to finish sorting. I’m grateful for all the advice I’ve received from forum members. Generally, wiring has been sorted while there was plenty of access with the cupboards etc out of the way. 
The galley looks fab but is something family could have done if I’d been more patient. I’m happy I gave the bathroom job to LBBY as the floor was rotten and I don’t know how to do fibreglass work. I seriously need to learn.
Once I started I kept adding extra jobs, again to just get it done while easy access etc. Plumbing a new shower and fitting new vanity unit and basin is certainly something Tony and Roald could have done but I got in the mindset of ‘just get it done’. And of course I’m well aware I have to pay the  hefty price for that!!!!

George and co have worked really thoughtfully on this whole project and I feel she’s been in very good hands. I hope to get her back in about 10 days. 

So all together an overspend. Perhaps in the back of my mind I always knew that was going to be the case once I got labour costs involved, something I’ve avoided so far in my life, having a handy family, but I do want to enjoy the boat without having to nag people to come and get on with jobs! And I hope my mum (who’s sad passing has helped with the expenses) would think it was worthwhile. She did enjoy her trips. 

Just a few words of warning, Kate, never say you’ve finished - it doesn’t work like that! There will always be an improvement that can be made, large or small and there’s always the potential for something to go wrong, usually just after you've satisfied yourself that what you’ve planned, is done! 

You’re so right Mouldy. 
That was why I changed the fuel tank while there was access. Would be a shame for an ancient rusty fuel tank to split soon after a new galley is built in front of it. 

You’re right Neil, I do spend a lot of time on her, 20 weeks last year. I wouldn’t mind a whole season her sometime in the future, just to say I’ve done it. But Tony might object to having to look after the allotments for a whole growing season, ha ha. 

• Like 3

What I find frustrating as just as we get to the point of trying to do more cosmetic, prettying up type things, something else goes wrong that costs a fortune , i,e  new fuel tank, calorifier , batteries etc and you cant see where the money has gone apart from that its left your bank account ☹️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just had to make the most of another day in Norfolk before heading home. And what better to do than get those photos of Berney Arms that I couldn’t do yesterday after running out of phone juice. 

Firstly an abortive attempt to see Halvergate church-I was too early and it was closed. 
Drove on to Reedham to park by the Ship to follow the Wherrymans Way to Berney Arms and back. I was a bit dismayed when I reached the end of the lane leading up into the riverbank to see a sign saying Berney Arms 4 miles, so an 8 mile return trip all along one path and with quite a stiff breeze blowing. Oh well, off I went. 
No wonder I was confused yesterday when trying to identify each different mill. I reached Polkeys Mill, with Cadges Mill next to it, the one without the sails.
C14F9050-C2AA-4F9D-B01C-6487DE5443A0.thumb.jpeg.8fa0cb1adf80006d0357288e8385c164.jpeg

Polkeys Mill with Reedham marsh steam pumping station. At Polkeys mill you can see the leats etc for diverting the water  The sign says they had national lottery funding in 2006 fir restoration. I find it such a shame that these types of restorations happen with hefty donations, but then there seems little follow up and the potential a site has isn’t then realised. 
5C5D9355-0E0C-4E8A-897C-534B70844C36.thumb.jpeg.387494602e5af5882d2c99b0d30b3061.jpeg

5AF705F6-432A-46A5-A8AF-C2ADC81E2D4D.thumb.jpeg.4889772eda440e8df748ecd76b13155b.jpeg

019C970B-F6D2-4DAD-81E1-232E2EE5D4CC.thumb.jpeg.9eb2f6b545010204fa012466fd24db6f.jpeg

On the OS map Cadges mill isn’t marked so I presumed the single Polkeys Mill on the map was Berney Arms Mill. First confusion cleared up then. And when I was at Berney Arms railway station looking back at these two mills they had reversed position. Polkeys mill looked inbetween Cadges and Berney Arms, just the way the river meanders. So confusing!!!

Now the next puzzle. Yesterday I kept seeing these white vinyl signs, sometimes crossed, sometimes arrows, as I walked across the marsh and mistakenly took them to be waymarkers - hence one of my mistakes in veering well off course. 
But the first gate leading up onto the riverbank on the Wherrymans Way had a cross on it

F4DC30F1-8FFE-426F-8D05-F4AA4725E7FA.thumb.jpeg.24b2fbb9858074c08023d4482b69981a.jpeg

when it was most certainly the correct way to go and then a gate on the marsh leading to another field and obviously not the route of the footpath had an arrow.

47D96EC0-68AE-40BA-9E1D-3E5D9C9D8AA7.thumb.jpeg.3ac35a87ade1a1b733cc6838c629b2ce.jpeg

This continued randomly all the way to Berney Arms and I can vouch for the fact they are all over the Halvergate marshes. Does anyone on here who knows these marshes well know what they are for? I met a couple out walking who were also very confused by them. 

I managed to see another train  stopping at Berney Arms, the 12 o clock, not sure where it was going as it’s a single track and they go and from both Lowestoft and Yarmouth along there.

00664A6F-C46F-4CD7-90F6-1BD9F964E763.thumb.jpeg.6316517c23aa758e7a9fe26b5c3f30bc.jpeg

311A548D-677C-4194-8F52-EF88499F8F58.thumb.jpeg.d5d2e082cadae93934854be32670c6bc.jpeg

3308943D-A67A-4401-B10C-ED4E31A90C67.thumb.jpeg.9771ec7ab88347d3bcf227152c2bf009.jpeg

D72429B8-7696-450B-A0A1-7A9FEEC485E4.thumb.jpeg.0fd890582fb8827ee056c99bcf446d66.jpeg

By the time I was back in Reedham I was ready for soup at the Ship, very nice too. 
I think I’ll take a walk in the sunshine along to the Ferry Inn before I leave as I’ve never been there and want to look at the moorings before I try to moor up there in the future.

• Like 3

Walking along the quayside and finding a very sleepy village, everything shut, I came across a planning application for a replacement ranger hut on the quay, slightly larger than the existing one, which is in such good condition I’d be putting in an offer for if for my allotment if I lived a lot nearer!

Odd that the Broads Authority has to apply for planning permission to itself it seems. Or did I misread it?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Odd that the Broads Authority has to apply for planning permission to itself it seems. Or did I misread it?

No you read it correct. Normally the local council would be responsible for overseeing planning applications, but in the case of Broadland The BA is responsible for overseeing planning applications within its executive area, however that doesn't absolve them from the planning process if they want to make material alterations themselves. The public have to be given the right to object or comment in just the same way as they would with any other application. The planning office is funded from the central Government grant and doesn't come from the toll account and should work independently to national planning guidelines. Though some might disagree with that! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A last walk to the Ferry Inn along a very dry riverbank and I saw a man dredging someone’s private mooring at the last house (most westerly on river) in the village, amazing how much stuff he’d managed to pile up. Then a bit later a little flock of very friendly sheep. No doubt they’d been bottle lambs or similar when young. 
7D5B5AD3-A005-43CF-8EEA-05A666EC11F3.thumb.jpeg.9901a59eaf3839c2bd69db5042602a13.jpegThe chain ferry was docked and then set off a bit later with its load of one car. The pub was shut for its holidays it said on the window but there were some men inside so maybe some work is being done. The moorings were very muddy, even the ones on the stone pub frontage. Do they flood? The grass ones are ok Helen, slightly broken in a couple of places, but the posts are extremely short. 
I liked the fact they are wooden moorings, not concrete. I’ll give it a go sometime. 

46D7F5F8-4C81-4235-93F9-EC0468948B9A.thumb.jpeg.18146e8ef8e7d808b21168e4754bf953.jpeg

What I really needed was Mr and Mrs Nog in my pictures. I missed them by a few days I think, based on their holiday tale. Very few boats about. I think it was about 4 today and none yesterday. 

By the way, and probably irrelevant by now, Potter Heigham bridge was showing 6’7” on Wednesday just about on low tide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1