Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

2 hours ago, grendel said:

why hasnt the fuse blown, because the current hasnt exceeded its value,, if you had a short, the fuse would blow, but a bad connection just bleeds some electricity out of the circuit as heat, and may not exceed the fuse rating.

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

Fuses are very good protection devices for protecting against over current or short circuit type faults. However they are not able to protect against bad connections, corroded connections or loose connections. When you get a bad connection, it doesn't draw anymore current, therefore the fuse will not blow, but what it does do is generate resistance, which in turn generates heat which can deform or melt things, or worse still start a fire.

Super thanks both of you. Again, makes sense when explained well. Why was my physics teacher at school not able to tell me such a common sense simple thing? And why could I not work that out for myself?????

2 hours ago, Regulo said:

This is a last resort, and is usually done the other way round - to use the domestic batteries to pull up the starter battery. Not to be recommended, in my opinion. 

Thanks. That’s what Roald said too, a last resort, not recommended, but useful to know if the worst happened. 

I have one of those lithium jump packs in the car, i got it from lidls, basically its a lithium battery with a set of jump lead that can plug into it, when I go on board, I just take it with me as insurance. I have used it on cars a few times to good effect (mostly neighbours with flat batteries) after a few jump starts it needs recharging from usb. (I also have a second one that has an air compressor for the tyres as well.)

I have both those in my car Grendel. They are brilliant as long as you remember to charge them. Didn’t think to be able to use the jump starter on board. I’ve used it a few times lately in the car before I decided my battery really had gone into terminal decline. 

Last night Roald told me there were two jump start crocodiles on board, but no leads so taking up space but not much use. Not that I needed them anyway. 

Oh dammit. All this brain work about electrics must have fired my grey matter as I did too well in the quiz tonight and came second. Unfortunately Turnoar who won is unavailable next week so it’ll be me, a newbie quizmaster. Could prove chaotic!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Oh dear. Moored at Gays staithe with a thin layer of ice. It’s only for the few yards around us but makes me wonder what it’ll be like up towards Richardsons.
Forecast for bright sun all day and above zero temps so if we delay our departure a while, I expect we’ll be ok. 

17A4C6B9-27B8-4751-ABF8-3D3FCBE99DCF.thumb.jpeg.9a69ddd79bb47f1e93442a320cf68768.jpeg

This week seems to have included more errors of judgement by me than usual. Wroxham Bridge height catching me out (pressure dropping and wind turning to north/north east I think), mooring the wrong way round at Ranworth in a gale and now ice when I knew full well it was going to be cold last night. We should have moored on the main river. 

Yesterday afternoon we had a lovely walk round the lanes of Neatishead, three hammer common etc. The main objective of course being a stop at the ‘Fudge Lady’, with her nice new wooden hut for keeping it in. I do wonder if it’ll get a little hot in the summer, fudge sauce anyone?

Starting in sun, then a bit of that ball bearing type dry snow, then proper wet snow, so thick it was a bit of a wipe-out for a few minutes, back to sun. Brushed the snow off my jacket and it was more or less dry when I got back to the boat. Bonus!!!

For info, the water is on at Gays staithe. Didn’t check at Ranworth. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kpnut said:

Oh dear. Moored at Gays staithe with a thin layer of ice. It’s only for the few yards around us but makes me wonder what it’ll be like up towards Richardsons.
Forecast for bright sun all day and above zero temps so if we delay our departure a while, I expect we’ll be ok. 

17A4C6B9-27B8-4751-ABF8-3D3FCBE99DCF.thumb.jpeg.9a69ddd79bb47f1e93442a320cf68768.jpeg

This week seems to have included more errors of judgement by me than usual. Wroxham Bridge height catching me out (pressure dropping and wind turning to north/north east I think), mooring the wrong way round at Ranworth in a gale and now ice when I knew full well it was going to be cold last night. We should have moored on the main river. 

Yesterday afternoon we had a lovely walk round the lanes of Neatishead, three hammer common etc. The main objective of course being a stop at the ‘Fudge Lady’, with her nice new wooden hut for keeping it in. I do wonder if it’ll get a little hot in the summer, fudge sauce anyone?

Starting in sun, then a bit of that ball bearing type dry snow, then proper wet snow, so thick it was a bit of a wipe-out for a few minutes, back to sun. Brushed the snow off my jacket and it was more or less dry when I got back to the boat. Bonus!!!

For info, the water is on at Gays staithe. Didn’t check at Ranworth. 

The basin and parts of the dyke were iced in this morning but had cleared by mid morning. It was a good job you got under wroxham bridge when you did as the water has kept rising since then.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garryn said:

The basin and parts of the dyke were iced in this morning but had cleared by mid morning. It was a good job you got under wroxham bridge when you did as the water has kept rising since then.

After posting about the ice, it soon melted and I had to ask myself why I was being worried instead of using common sense. I suppose I feel responsible for my friends on board. 
We did have a plan B for Wroxham. A bus ride up to Stalham to fetch a car and a land based holiday. I’m not under any time pressure to be going home so could have sat on the moorings for ‘as long as’. 

• Like 2

A pootle across Barton Broad to Wood End staithe for a rather muddy walk on Catfield Fen and then along to Catfield has meant we’ve been out for most of the morning in brilliant sunshine. It’s reminded us that spring is well on its way. Nice to not be wearing a waterproof. 
B580619C-D1C4-4368-9851-4B4102C162FE.thumb.jpeg.971da8a046a461beebc7e83ea6789dbc.jpeg

Back to Stalham this afternoon to give the batteries a well earned drink of electric juice. I just hope I haven’t knackered the batteries, time will tell on that front. 

• Like 5

On 09/03/2023 at 21:09, Lulu said:

I was really pleased to see quite a few coots and also moorhens on the Ant last weekend. I can’t remember seeing any last year. 

I’ve seen a little family of coots at Ranworth -and I’m sure I saw a moorhen there last weekend - I’ve missed them 

• Like 1

On 02/01/2023 at 19:59, kpnut said:

Potter Heigham or Acle? I don’t like Potter in the wind and want to go for walks at both, so with it being forecast to be windy tomorrow night, I opted for Potter today

Our paths actually crossed that day when you moored up at Potter Heigham (on the BA moorings, you were closest to the Bungalows). I was moored on the Staithe further down the Thurne

Whilst you were busy tying your lines I walked past you in my red cap and hoodie and we said a brief hello before I braved the flooded depths to find the footpath once again, you won't remember

Unfortunately I was unaware who was on what boat at that time, but I shall look out for Springers Retreat in future

• 5 weeks later...

Saturday April 8th

The day arrived for me to pick my boat up again from LBBY. I feel so sorry for George and co there, the job’s been beset with problems including two deliveries of damaged Formica and rotten panels round the windows to replace. All in a days work for them I suspect. 
But the jobs are very nearly complete now and I’m borrowing the boat again for 10 days.
An early start planned and in reality an even earlier start as I was wide awake at 3am, so I just got up, got sorted and set off. It’s so good to be driving at that time, with so little traffic. I think there were three cars and one lorry before Lincoln. I say I think because if was rather foggy and took a lot of concentration. 

On arrival, I realised the early bus through Stalham either had been a figment of my imagination, or wasn’t running on a Saturday, so with plenty of time I went for a walk along from Potter Heigham bridge to Martham boatyard, which was a hive of activity with a group of youngsters stowing all their gear on numerous yachts. 
I caught my originally intended bus down to the boatyard and after a rundown of work completed and work still to complete, the boat was mine. 
By the time I got to Irstead I was flagging and jumped into the spot with the electric seeing as it was free. A cup of tea to revive me and I then decided to do the cleaning. I bought a pretty painted flowerpot with a kingfisher feeding it’s chick -I’m now doubting that they actually do that out in the open, I think by the time the chicks leave the burrow, they might fend for themselves - and set off for Stalham. The bonus of beautiful weather meant I kept energised all evening while I got ready for my trip. 
Sometime in the evening I must have upset my back ‘cos by bedtime it had a knot on it that proceeded to complain through the night along the lines of gripping spasms every 30 seconds or so, the sort that take your breath away. By 4.30 I’d had enough and succumbed to co-codamol, which zonked me out for 3 hours much to my relief. It certainly did the trick as I’ve been fine today, only now in the evening does it feel a bit sore again. 
It is so good to be back on board. Hopefully the battery issues of last month are no more and I intend these 10 days to be relaxing and worry free. When the boat’s having work done, I’ve realised how much the worry builds up, I suppose cos it’s not knowing when the next problem is round the corner and not doing the work myself, that feeling of not being in control and fearing the worst. I can’t be the only one who feels like that surely? So then having the boat back I can see everything is ok and stop losing sleep over it. 

As others have reported, it’s busy. There was a constant stream of boats coming down the Ant on Saturday afternoon. The Broads have woken up for the season and us ‘all year rounders’ will have to plan that bit better for the next few months. 

• Like 10

Easter Sunday 9th April

Slowly does it after a bad nights sleep and slightly iffy back. 
A couple of wanders round thd yard with the dog in the sunshine, fill with water etc and I set off down the river at lunchtime, destination Dilham if free. 
What a wonderful cruise, very few boats about after the turnoff to Wayford Bridge. And nothing seen after the bridge, so I was hopeful there’d be a spot for me there. Yes, I had it to myself. 
55D62981-BFAB-4727-A6DD-C839863E2BE7.thumb.jpeg.ec7aaae4c6d45a442e25bc7f76bd09f0.jpeg

B1CA8919-6862-4119-AAE9-397D86B10FFE.thumb.jpeg.53bf69c20d0b0cf23078eaca06ffc205.jpeg

It’s not often that Finlay gets to have a play at a mooring, but he was excited to just have a ball thrown about for a while, then a cup of tea in the sun and a good walk up to Tonnage Bridge, along the canal, where there was a whole family is swans. The parents obviously haven’t persuaded their 1yr old offspring to leave yet. No sign of any nests though. Retracing my steps I carried on into Dilham to have a nosey at peoples front gardens. I’d left both phone and money behind, so no photos and no popping into the pub🙁

What a wonderful, totally relaxing day in the sunshine, which I was making the most of as its forecast rain on Monday. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, kpnut said:

. . . . . . . . . . . Hopefully the battery issues of last month are no more and I intend these 10 days to be relaxing and worry free. When the boat’s having work done, I’ve realised how much the worry builds up, I suppose cos it’s not knowing when the next problem is round the corner and not doing the work myself, that feeling of not being in control and fearing the worst. I can’t be the only one who feels like that surely? So then having the boat back I can see everything is ok and stop losing sleep over it. 

Almost four years into ownership now and I very soon realised that you don’t ever ‘finish’ spending.  There’s always something that can be improved, changed or breaks down and needs replacing.  I remember collecting Norfolk Lady from NYA in Horning.  By the time we’d reached our moorings in Brundall, the alternator had failed and within a week or two it became apparent that the Victron charger/inverter was inverting but not charging!  It was apparently beyond economic repair, due to its age and we needed a new one.  Needless to say, as it’s boat related, it wasn’t cheap!

But would we have it any other way?  No, is the simple answer.  It took me too many years to achieve a long held dream - fortunately one that Deb shares too and we’ll continue to fill that hole in the water that we bought with money until either infirmity or poverty stops us.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Totally agree Mouldy. 
If I mentioned the word ‘finished’ I meant this bit of work!!!!

I have a list a page long or more, although it has been extremely satisfying to put red pen through various lines of it. 
And of course, my ears and eyes are on the lookout for the next problem to jump out to relieve me of some more money. 
I have the pots, at least in my head, one for running and repairs, the other for improvements. It’s that one that’s in the red at the moment😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kpnut said:

Totally agree Mouldy. 
If I mentioned the word ‘finished’ I meant this bit of work!!!!

I have a list a page long or more, although it has been extremely satisfying to put red pen through various lines of it. 
And of course, my ears and eyes are on the lookout for the next problem to jump out to relieve me of some more money. 
I have the pots, at least in my head, one for running and repairs, the other for improvements. It’s that one that’s in the red at the moment😂

No, no mention of the word finished, merely suggesting that it’s no use worrying about it.  If you expect the worst and it’s not as bad as you feared, it’s a bonus!! 😁

• Haha 1

The next issue has arisen! Although I’m pretty certain it’s a temporary one and won’t cost anything to fix. But it’s not very pleasant. In my bathroom refit, the wc has been disconnected and the pipe to the holding tank obviously taped up. But it’s ponging a bit. I’ve double taped it now. And there was I blaming the smell on the wierd ready meal I had (BEFORE I ate it I might add!!!). More on that later. 

Monday April 9th

The forecast rain arrived sometime in the night but I was oblivious till I woke up after a solid 8 hours, much needed after the previous night’s complaining back muscle. 
Not a soul to be seen until going under the bridge at Wayford. I moored up next to another Horizon 35, left the dog and walked along to Meales garden centre. Their website looked most enticing with all the locally produced food in the farm shop, not that I needed to buy any. But I will return when I do need some shopping sometime and when I have friends on board, we’ll go to Vera’s coffee shop too. What I wanted was a terracotta plant pot saucer as the pot I bought at Irstead had a drain hole in the bottom and their little stall didn’t have any of the advertised saucers. I came away with one for £1.99. 
And a couple of cards I couldn’t resist with spaniels on, as well as two handmade ‘welcome baby’ cards, one for a boy, one for a girl. I’m hedging my bets with the arrival of my first grandsprog next month!!!

The rain got heavier still as we travelled down the Ant, reminding me I do need to sort out a windscreen wiper at some point soon. Either my blade is naff or the whole hand operated wiper is naff; whichever, it doesn’t actually touch the windscreen!

• Like 3

I do love Wayford Bridge. The Ant up to that point is such a beautiful stretch of river. We’ve only used it as a coffee or lunch stop, not stayed overnight. Being so close to the road has put us off a bit. But conversely I often glance over at the moorings if I’m driving along there. 

Have a great day whatever you’re doing today Kate. At least it’s started sunny. 🤞

• Like 1