Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

Pootling on down the Ant with little visibility, and little plan. How pleasant is that? Passing Irstead, the parish mooring was free so that beckoned me in. Shortly afterwards, the ‘mother ship’ (a Martham woodie) of a youth sailing group moored up behind me for their lunch. Their charges were moored down on the bend, on that lovely piece of grass with the boathouse that says private. Lucky them. 
The rain continued very heavy for a while but then suddenly, it seemed, the sun shone and the river for very busy, both at once. Day boats wanting to get back to Simpsons wanting to pass the yachts that were now setting off upstream to Barton Broad, coupled with the day’s cohort of hire boats coming downstream from Richardsons. 
33A6BBB3-8DDC-4B40-A674-B22D3706A32E.thumb.jpeg.ef1cfc55d9f0b536dc2c52651db5bdf1.jpeg

This was the calm before the rush hour. 

Blow me if the pot stall I bought my painted pot at on Saturday didn’t have a pot saucer today, to match the pot. The 1.99 I spent on one at Meales in the morning won’t be wasted ‘cos I can use that one at home. 

Finlay and I firstly stopped in at the church.

48D6E30A-A922-4FE0-BAC8-5327530CE9B8.thumb.jpeg.2229c7c2a2df64fa01351b311bf0ae1b.jpeg

That pillar is decidedly bowing outwards and you think you have problems Helen! Maybe they were built like that?

8D8C89DD-D625-45A6-8554-A17911011F3E.thumb.jpeg.e56cd744bf9e75b5108a5ca2aadcf516.jpeg

The font looked lovely with its cheerful daffodils. 

FE6977ED-D6ED-405E-AA33-9051E093111B.thumb.jpeg.08db3491b4adf6aac6750360561c2125.jpeg

I would not like to be the one climbing that ladder to service the bells. 

Then we took a good walk round to Gayes staithe, stopping to talk to a man in his garden for 3/4 hour by which time it had rained on us twice more. I arrived at Gayes staithe at 5pm and there were just two spots left, unsurprising perhaps seeing as there’s a missing mooring post. I would have thought at the start of the season that wouldn’t be the case. I’ll ring BA tomorrow to report it unless I see a ranger first. 

35E00C73-0210-4F01-B1A3-7DC54FC5DCCA.thumb.jpeg.f600a2507ca06eadab1d66d8e42020eb.jpeg

Then a fudge purchase for my son when I visit next week and a looksee at Neatishead moorings. It looks like all that’s left is the landscaping. The work raft is no longer in the water. 

94BF3D29-7398-4830-A02C-884005F7539B.thumb.jpeg.a9014f8c10ee71b212bf55fde9129df3.jpeg

Last time I walked round via Three Hammer Common, in early March we were greeted with all 4 seasons in the space of an hour. Today was quite the same. A gale, some hail, squally shower and sunshine. We spent the walk back along the lane on lead training -it took me about half an hour to walk 1/2 mile of stop/start. And there were loads of pheasants in the fields all squawking away to each other, so plenty of scent on the verges for some close hunt training. 
A swim for the dog to clean him up once back at Irstead and we were ready for tea. 

Mine comprised a reduced salady type pasta thing from the reduced section in Tesco. Note to self-don’t be such a skinflint buying stuff you don’t know about - this turned out to be a the most awful vegan substitute macaroni pasta meal. 
The description on the pack said ( and I quote) - 
‘pasta in a butternut squash and coconut oil and soya alternative to cream cheese sauce, topped with crispy fried onions (that’s the only bit of normal food in it along with the pasta!), with applewood coconut oil alternative to cheese and smoke flavoured pea and wheat protein pieces’.
They can’t even make the description sound appetising. 
The plastic tub will be useful though, there’s always a silver lining if you look hard enough!!

4410A8A6-DEF2-4DD8-9A45-E81D85966289.jpeg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, kpnut said:

The plastic tub will be useful though, there’s always a silver lining if you look hard enough!!

That’s exactly what I always say. You just have to look a bit harder sometimes. Enjoyed seeing your photos and hearing about your day. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kpnut said:

On re-reading the pack just now, maybe I was meant to reheat it!

That might have helped, but I agree, the description didn't sound appetising - and that's from someone that frequently chooses a vegan option.

Lovely photos of your day.

Tuesday 10th April

A day to really look forward to. Firstly the forecast was for lovely sunshine for most of it (just ignore the gale due to blow in the night) and secondly and more importantly, I have visitors this morning. 
Lulu and Selsie on Luna Aurora and I have arranged to have the morning and lunch together. 
Bang on time, Sam texted to say they were coming up the final straight before Irstead so I moved Springer’s Retreat along slightly so they’d fit on the mooring with me without either of us overhanging much. The two dogs were getting on fine, so we took them for a walk. Then Finlay invited Desmond aboard while Sam and I chatted, sunning ourselves in the front well (it was a tad breezy) and Graham trekked to Neatishead for some shopping. 
Really chuffed how well the dogs got on. They were both very calm and just snoozed. 
Just as we sat down for a salad type lunch the ranger turned up in his boat, so I was able to tell him about the missing posts at Gayes Staithe. He’d just come from having a look there, so it’s on the ‘to do’ list. He clarified the situation with the electric. The parish council has asked that no-one takes a cable across to their staithe (one cable or joined). Probably a liability issue in this day of H+S, wasn’t that the reason for the demise of the quiet moorings at Potter Heigham? Regardless, it clarifies the ‘extension or no extension’ question. 

No wine or cider to accompany lunch even though it would have been lovely, as I’m calorie counting and feeling very motivated about it at the moment. 

We’d had a really good catch up but I needed to make my way down the Ant to give the batteries a chance to top up. 
Passing under Ludham Bridge, I realised I’d made Neil on Rambling Rosie wait his turn coming the other way. A very quick ‘hi’ as we passed each other. 

So meeting up with Sam and Graham for lunch and saying hi to Neil is part of what this forum is about for me. Being able to feel I’m among friends even when on my own on the boat, being part of something and I’m always game for a good old chinwag!!!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

We thoroughly enjoyed our morning with you. Another particularly lovely day to add to the memory bank and Desmond sends his thanks to Finlay for  his kind acceptance in allowing him on his part of the sofa x  

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Tuesday 10th April

You momentarily had me worried there Kate, as have been building up to Alec’s birthday 🎉 on the 12th April (tomorrow) and was starting to think I’ve got my dates wrong. Its his 30th.

Dont worry…I have a tendency to lose track of the days when on board too…until the final day of our holiday looms.

Hope Seren and Pozzick get on as well with Finlay in May. He sounds very accommodating, inviting other dogs on board.:default_biggrin:

Finlay has been an absolute star and therapist to Desmond. Desmond lost all confidence with other dogs of his size and above since he was attacked but Finlay has really helped him. I’m chuffed to bits and very grateful for his patience 

• Like 2

Oops Helen. I asked Sam this morning what the date was as I have completely lost track. And even then, I’ve gone and got it wrong again. I’ll refer back to your post when I do my next write up and count on from there! 
Happy birthday for tomorrow Alec. He’s just over a month younger than my Richard. At 30, I felt he suddenly changed and became more engaged with ‘real life’ ie his tax return etc. 

• Like 1

Tuesday 12th April continued

Turning downstream onto the Bure at Ant mouth I again saw a lovely group of yachts full of youngsters moored in the reeds opposite St. Benets. It does hearten me to see young people learning a skill that will, if they so wish, give them a life-long hobby. 
339F6028-5F05-481C-8EAB-B0798889C658.thumb.jpeg.52449baefbd838e8f96d49434df89f95.jpeg

My destination was Fleet Dyke, but I didn’t mind wild mooring or either set of the EA moorings, the ones on the bend having bred newly refurbished. 
There are plenty of reed stooks on the riverbank, drying out I presume before waiting for collection by boat. Nice to see the reedbeds still being farmed. 
632AE289-870E-418C-AF3C-0E9A18416795.thumb.jpeg.981fed953c49067fe5fe35588f9f0945.jpeg

The wild mooring with the little quay heading on the bend was available and a quick look at my map showed me it’d be nicely sheltered from the 45mph southerly wind expected overnight. So I turned into the tide and that’s where I stopped. The quay heading is a bit broken. I thought there had been a couple of mooring rings here on previous occasions. But two sections of the capping are missing, so perhaps that’s where the rings were once upon a time.
EC70828D-0E25-44AC-8625-C9F0A06962D4.thumb.jpeg.ae6b9339bedbf852bf657ef582990a87.jpeg

It was forecast to start raining about teatime, so  I got togged up in full waterproofs as a precaution against an early start and we walked round the marsh in a freshening breeze. I met a lady who’s dog had gone awol chasing a deer on the marsh and took her to where I’d spotted it. It was on its way back. I’m pleased there were no cattle out grazing as the dog was intent on running where it wanted. 
I had a welcome rest on the bench at the little dinghy staithe and spotted my second new chick of the day, this time an Egyptian goose. It must be Easter!!!!!! Last year they had 5, chicks if I recall. 

CD81B3F8-41D1-4E96-BA16-610D30F32B3D.thumb.jpeg.0e94e040f00b335f5881a9011896dd26.jpeg

The first set of chicks I’d seen belong to a pair of geese that had wandered up onto the little side dyke at Irstead earlier in the day.
9BD882FA-1A05-4901-A493-B92D928A5B55.thumb.jpeg.984f062950ca0296e02411298a5893b0.jpeg

At getting on for 5pm, walking past the straight stretch of moorings I was surprised to see just two boats moored, and then a further three on the bend moorings. It seems the Easter holiday traffic has subsided on the river as well as on the roads.

C7DB9FC0-0950-4748-BAEC-01D031AC33A7.thumb.jpeg.c057ec73cc3a6bde47ac44d528554408.jpeg

C861A65D-FEED-4A9D-B19A-C2CEBC9315F3.thumb.jpeg.c5d481a5ef19d02f6ee262b6172a9098.jpeg

Saying that, a few Herbert Woods and Richardsons did pass my boat towards dusk, so late arrivals who were going to have their fears allayed no doubt by finding plenty of mooring space so late in the day. 
The rain held off till about 8pm I think but by the time it had set in properly I’d been dozing and fiddling on the forum a while so lost track a bit. 
My bed called me about 10pm with the promise of the wind calming sometime through the night and a bright morning ahead. 

• Like 6

Right, Wednesday 12th April - hope I’m back on the right date now. 

Another beautiful start to the day, no heating needed this morning inside, but when I ventured out to let the dog out, it was a different story. Very chilly indeed. 

I was intending to go to Stokesby today, but fell foul of my own planning. With no warning last night whatsoever when I made a last drink, this morning I went to put the kettle on and zilch, no gas!

Part of a long story but I have 2 x 11kg gas bottles on an auto changer that does work, but the bit that indicates which bottle is being used doesn’t work. 
Autumn 21, I put a new bottle in and used a part full one. I’ve been monitoring every now and again ever since. I occasionally turn the bottles off, turn the lighter one back on and see if I can light the stove. If I can, that should tell me I’m still using the lighter one. 
But lately I got to realise both were pretty light, even though the above routine was still telling me I was using the lighter one, I pondered as to why the other one seemed lighter as well. 
So I turned the heavier one off and just used the lighter one. Well it lasted less than a day. So now, one empty and one lightish one. My tests must have just been using ‘fumes’ from an empty bottle. 

Coming down last weekend meant Flogas at Catfield was shut and LBBY where I picked the boat up from, which stocks Flogas, had no 11kg bottles in stock, so we joked that I’m sure I’d have enough for the week. 
You’ve guessed, it didn’t last. 
So no cup of tea or boiled egg this morning. 
I pondered just leaving it till next Monday when I’m back in Stalham and just eating salad etc and drinking juice and cider, but decided to ring round the yards to see if anyone had any in stock. No luck, so my mind was made up - back up the Ant to my home mooring and a car trip to Catfield. By lunchtime I was sorted, also using the opportunity to fill with water and go to the shops, and off I went again, back down the Ant. I think I’ll know every blade of grass soon!

I suppose not bad that probably one and a half bottles has lasted 18 months, so approx a bottle a year, on 20 weeks of use last year. I can cope with that as a running cost. That has even included some baking of scones and cakes, and a couple of loaves of bread. 

Wierd weather again today. Started sunny, cold, clouding over, wind getting up, then some really heavy rain showers. Sun’s trying to shine again now. 
As ‘they’ say for April, if you don’t like the weather, wait a minute and something else will come along. 

• Like 3

It was nice that we had no condensation to get rid of for a change this morning when we went back to the marina but yes, a bit chilly.  If you go to Stokesby, will you be able to resist a cake like I just managed to do. That was a tough day! 

32 minutes ago, Lulu said:

It was nice that we had no condensation to get rid of for a change this morning when we went back to the marina but yes, a bit chilly.  If you go to Stokesby, will you be able to resist a cake like I just managed to do. That was a tough day! 

I can’t manage one of their cake portions. Has to be consumed as two sittings or shared with someone. You feel less guilty that way too. 

10 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

can’t manage one of their cake portions. Has to be consumed as two sittings or shared with someone. You feel less guilty that way too. 

Oh I’ve tried to halve them and eek them out over a few sittings. Didnt work. Share? No way! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

By Sam being so well controlled you are left with no other option but to have two slices of cake to make up for it.

When I’ve reached my weight loss goal, I may just cave in as a reward 😁

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Hmmmm!  You only live once!  That’s all I’m saying.:default_rolleyes:

Very true Mouldy. But I really want to pass my medical trial screening next Wednesday and have some hope of being accepted on a development trial and earn some money to pay the final boat bill. So needs must.

And to be honest, I feel far less ‘burdened’ and stodgy when taking the dog out, so it’s quite a motivation. 
I could always freeze a piece and take home on Wednesday for after my screening!

As I said Neil, needs must, so anything is fair game😂You should have seen George’s face at LBBY when I said I had to sell my body to pay his bill 🤭🤭

More seriously, whatever drug is being developed, by mouth or sometimes injection. I don’t know yet what the trial is for, and I always do a lot of research once I’m told, so do have the option to turn it down. I’m not that desperate!!!!!
But someone has to be the guinea pig otherwise there’d be no cancer drugs, drugs for diabetes, high blood pressure, blood thinners, beta blockers for heart problems and the list goes on. 

On another note, I’ve just heard the bitterns for the first time this year. Such a restful sound. 

• Like 4

Thanks but no thanks both of you!

I pulled into Johnny Crowes staithe as I felt it’d be fairly sheltered for the night. It was right enough, even though the driving rain coming directly up river did manage to pound the port side of the boat. Good for checking out what had been a leaking saloon window that George had fixed. It passed with flying colours. 
The sky for clear before dusk for a pretty pale sunset. 

• Like 1