Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

Fantastic news, glad to hear she finally arrived, and considerate enough to let you come to the meet at the weekend too - it was great to see you and chat !

And as for Grumpy, I have an uncle who has earned that nickname from his grandchildren - and it suits him :default_rofl:

• Love 1

Wednesday 24th May

These light mornings mean earlier wake-ups, but I managed to put my head under the covers and sleep a bit more. Finlay had had another undisturbed night.
Being moored at the river end wild mooring along Fleet Dyke spurred me into starting out walking nice and early too, but not until I’d learnt how to adjust the cut in/cut-out pressure on the water pump. It seems if you increase one, the other one increases too. I’d hoped there were two separate screws to turn. So a compromise was reached and the pump is now not ‘juddering’ as it comes to a stop. And not staying on quite as long after the tap is turned off. 
My plan was a lovely long walk and not moving the boat for another night. 
I did a walk I’ve done many times, with just an added bit of exploration towards the end. 6.5 miles in total.
Around the river bank path to Upton Dyke, the notable thing being that it again is getting quite overgrown as far as the ‘2 dead trees’ pumping station and then beautifully cut from then on. 
I walked in the longer uncut bit on the first section rather than in the side bit that people trample to try to start discouraging the vegetation from growing (it’d take many hundreds of pairs of feet to do that really, but thought I’d make a start!) so was relieved to hit the shorter grass later.

E6E45660-DAFB-41BE-85F4-4C21BA402A21.thumb.jpeg.61647f2e205815da20c3b66c6fcc1440.jpegAt Thurne mouth

Before the black mill I came across a man on a ride-on mower coming towards me. I hoped he’d stop to chat, as I wanted to ask why it gets half done (I suspect up to the pumping station is Upton parish, with South Walsham further round) but I didn’t have the heart to ask him to turn his engine and ear defenders off, so with a cheery wave he went past. 
A8E803F2-5821-4225-B351-C394DE5F2E2A.thumb.jpeg.0279f795ecb093d4f75f78dc52979741.jpeg

I chatted to Trevor the window man along Upton Dyke, where he was replacing a boat window. He’d replaced a Perspex window for me last year. His dog came out to greet Finlay. A hire boat came into moor at the end but was having trouble getting in close enough, so I gave them a hand. The couple seemed to be very much enjoying their first experience of boating. 
Then onto the community shop for a large cup of tea and scone, total cost £1.90, no rip-off prices here!!! They even had a large lump of ginger root in stock for 50p. 

After going back down towards the marsh, turning left along the lane and following the woodland path from Upton towards Pilson Green I did a slight detour. The woodland path was surprisingly dry apart from a few spots, but my trainers managed OK. This was my first venture out this year without wellies on. Some late primroses were hanging on but the canopy cover is now fully in leaf do it was quite shady. 
A9125A04-DD35-4242-BBDE-2D1320CB851D.thumb.jpeg.2bbdc9944916d5a61ae682ec99e23af6.jpeg

D591EE12-9CC8-4BC2-BD70-639B6EC1AF58.thumb.jpeg.5e8d0b737a9ed3def999e4c11c6ae5e3.jpeg

At the end of Low Road there was a sign directing to K9 unleashed, dog walking field, so I realised I’d never walked down that lane before. There are some beautiful cottages down there. I walked down Low Road, past the NWT carpark to the house at the dead end where the field is, took a few photos for a friend and then retraced my steps as far as a footpath along a hedge boundary, skirting a grass field then a barley field (out in ear rather early I thought, but perhaps varieties are now being bred to reach that stage in May rather than June). The path came out next to a little pond that I know I’ve sat beside before, it’s on Marsh Road leading down from Pilson Green, so I knew where I was. 
C66F0AF5-20FE-459F-AA56-4E606805C8B2.thumb.jpeg.418881d43eb3355318779365f97d8c06.jpeg

Back along the field footpath to the carpark near Kingfisher Lane and past the public staithe etc round to the moorings. 
I’d spoken to someone on my way past Russell marine to ask how much the water cost, it’s £1 so I decided I’d pop down there and then get on my way. But then I got that phone call from Catherine with the baby news, so decided I’d stay put for the night and have a video call with her when I got back to the boat. 
Grendel came down Fleet Dyke in Water Rail upstream of the ‘bend’ moorings and we exchanged a greeting. 
The rest of the day passed in a blur, ringing family etc. I couldn’t ring Tony at home until Catherine had confirmed she’d rung him to tell him he was now a grandad/Grampi or whatever and when I caught up with him later, he was on cloud9. I couldn’t get a word in, very unusual for me!!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, SwanR said:

am in awe of your long walks Kate.

Well Jean, you won’t be after today’s tale!

Thursday 25th May

Why can I not get going early, even though I wake at the crack of dawn? I do like the lazy breakfasts though  

Grendel went past on his way to Yarmouth as I was sort of getting ready to set off. First stop was a water fill at Russell Marine on South Walsham Broad. It’s so easy to get into and very smartly kept. 
Then a pootle down towards Stokesby, hoping for the wild mooring on the last opposite bend before Stokesby. It was free and I moored up the other way round to what I wanted due to the tide direction. 
The weather was dull this morning so I had a quiet morning catching up on paperwork and finances. By 1.30 the sun was out, just as the forecast had promised and I planned a partly new walk. 
I set off towards Tunstall Dyke along the flood bank. Omg, totally overgrown. Always the optimist, I presumed it’d get better. No chance!

64E36AEB-47F2-4599-9AA5-A5CEA4A5B599.thumb.jpeg.1609496ff3318ec75d4901bfbb4bea78.jpeg

Finlay’s in there somewhere. He was being very thoughtful, running to and fro in front of me to make some sort of a path. 
Temporary relief as I went past Lavender Walk where the owner had cut the grass.
FC524BA6-DEFE-42E0-A91C-88E1998D3A4D.thumb.jpeg.b7a0d7bb6dda418d7144501d9a908bdc.jpeg

Then over the stile into this!!
7F02C191-76A1-486D-BCE0-7C9A6D7657EE.thumb.jpeg.3a65a104b8b95657823fc880a603ff12.jpeg

There’s even a beautiful Norfolk County Council public footpath sign on the stile to rub salt into the wound.

AA8925DC-7049-4B80-BCD5-DB97051F1EAC.thumb.jpeg.7d20143f3c62e23c15be1ab6af84af61.jpeg

89A08CA3-8B39-477C-809A-4155F33327F3.thumb.jpeg.0078c2fecbc157375e4478cc823e3b1e.jpeg

With the signpost saying Acle 2.5 miles and G.Yarmouth 8.5, I have no idea what the council think you should do when confronted by that lot!

81FD623E-95FA-45AF-AF59-74FCFBC8AD76.thumb.jpeg.27298ff1ed93f92bed579c79dc57b55c.jpeg

I batted my way along to Stracey Arms where the lady in the cafe told me lots of folk have been complaining and someone from the Windmill Trust is trying to get the council to cut it. 
So that walk was actually less than 2 miles, but totally exhausting. I had a cup of tea and bakewell tart to revive myself - well, good excuse. 
I couldn’t face going back the same way, so crossed the very busy Acle Straight and walked along what turned out to be a rather fast and fairly narrow dead straight Branch Road to Halvergate. I stopped at Tunstall church which is partly a ruin but I was too late to look in the church.
D1AF4DE2-0548-478F-8A3E-FCE2F1860D45.thumb.jpeg.0c57d1310b790fca6b6f060b46ca9e35.jpeg

E24E31D9-EFB8-4A79-A937-BC578E8A8E36.thumb.jpeg.c66aad607e3db5afd579158581748f4e.jpeg

858C07FD-CEFA-4585-B2C7-209ECAE7F9E9.thumb.jpeg.7028f5cd5d0331df488e397b916e5c30.jpeg

The Weavers Way footpath along field margins was very enjoyable, and then along the lane where a deer shot out across in front of Finlay and he responded superbly to my stop whistle. I found the footpath that leads across the railway and then the A47 again to Tunstall Dyke. I’ve done this walk before a couple of times in the other direction and it’s never in particularly good condition but this was taking the mick. 

Either end of it. Probably 3/4 mile of that!

E3511722-B7FA-41C9-8B4D-B7174E79CEE8.thumb.jpeg.854bf89a3196334853b24d0d1cb31287.jpeg

1BF3E9CF-CD90-4FD2-B49B-48CFE2C9437E.thumb.jpeg.0e8f5830d7a278a57873b9b1efaa7ed7.jpeg

I’m not going to keep banging on all summer about the footpaths and am not going to reinstate the ‘state of footpaths’ thread as it’ll just be a repeat of last year, but I am going to send a letter to the leader of Norfolk county council, and copy in my MP and ask him to forward it to the relevant MP for the area. Upkeep of public footpaths is a statutory obligation, much like streetlights, highways etc. if it’s marked on the map it needs to be accessible as it can put people in an unsafe situation. Crossing the Acle Straight was no fun, neither was walking along the road to Halvergate. I ended up walking 8 miles instead of the 3.5 I was expecting. Not being able to see where I was putting my feet, I slipped and fell a few times, into a patch of stinging nettles just after taking my jumper off of course! I had to drop down the flood bank a few times not knowing if I was walking into boggy ground nearer the dyke and the flood bank slope itself is extremely steep when you can’t see the ground. If I’d had children with me, like the family I was told about at Stracey Arms, and had to carry them, that extra effort would have not been good. As it was Finlay cut his tongue and front legs on the long grasses. 
Let alone the impression it gives to holidaymakers who might have come to Norfolk for a walking holiday. And bringing money into the local economy. 
Anyway, nuff said. 

Finlay enjoyed himself on the last leg, standing stock still when he flushed each of three pheasants and not one bark -perhaps he’s growing out of that at last, it’s frowned on in a working spaniel. Once I got back, the evening was so calm I decided to turn the boat round on the ropes, partly to practice and partly so I can lie in bed in the morning and look out at the river!

A51B73AB-D647-4C88-9B34-60B77DC33DA1.thumb.jpeg.10364ca5e24620be2a1715def2d14cf4.jpeg

I spotted Rambling Rosie going past going downstream, but don’t know if Neil had spotted me and found no sign of life! Sorry if you waved and I didn’t acknowledge you Neil. 

And now, sitting here writing this, I realise my knees and hands are tingling with all the nettle stings of the day. Lol. 

• Like 7

Wayward!

Last year I thought maybe the paths were due to no mow May, but then they never got round to it in June or July either for most of them. The lady at Stracey Arms told me they are scheduled for twice a season but it doesn’t happen. 

Wow! I have no idea how you made it along all those “paths”. So glad to know that you made it safely back to the boat with Finlay eventually. I’ve noticed round here that since the weather warmed up a bit after all that rain so much vegetation has shot up. 

Friday 26th May. 
Another glorious weather day forecast. First job was a message to Tony back at home that a big watering session is needed on the allotment. I try to keep it to a minimum and certainly for when he’s in charge, but I wasn’t expecting such a long spell of dry weather so peas, beans, germinating parsnips, flowering potatoes and new fruit trees will need doing. Poor love! He’s already having to give away spinach, asparagus and lettuce. Sooner or later he’s going to bring up the subject of boating versus allotment but till he does, I’m keeping stum🤭

I have my tomatoes on board to keep me company.

FD95E862-C5C9-4635-B134-423DBBBBD4D4.thumb.jpeg.0411dd1511c4c54c46c68c77ed382a52.jpeg

I’m putting the canopy up at night to prevent shocking them, but they did get a bit wind blown when going along a few times. They’re still only tender babies and had spent the previous week sheltering in the car (I didn’t think tomatoes would fit on the boat as well as extra guests over the past weekend)

My plan had been to gently find my way back up the Bure and along the Thurne over the next couple of days but then I remembered about the Thurne regatta, so thought I’d make haste out of the area. Mooring up on the Bure to watch would theoretically be lovely, but in practice rather stressful as I wouldn’t know if they can turn quick enough when hurtling towards me moored up. Of course they can, but it’s the fright of it!

So a long old cruise up to Wroxham and under the bridge was done and very enjoyable too. Low water was at 12.30, so with unexpected perfect timing, I arrived dead on!

It was still quiet all the way up,

7A90413D-D5C1-471B-ADF8-E96F9FFECD1D.thumb.jpeg.eb2c2a96a14dff8695360d955955db3a.jpeg

plenty of space anywhere I could have chosen to stop, apart from Horning staithe. I was nearly tempted by the wild mooring nearly opposite Ranworth Dam, Cockshoot,  then Horning church, then Wroxham Broad island but my goal was Hoveton Viaduct. Karizma passed me heading downstream (or was that the day before? sorry Steve and Tracey). 
Bridge showed approx 7’ so no sweaty palms going under. Plenty of space at both sets of moorings and I chose the far end spot of the viaduct moorings which I’ve often hoped for but never achieved. 
It’s nice being able to easily see both ways along the river. 
No long walk do-able from here, so a leisurely afternoon with a trip to Roys diy for some black japanned woodscrews and lots of chatting to other ‘moorees’ and then a very welcome visit by Jean (SwanR) whom I’d messaged earlier to announce my whereabouts and invite down. Great to catch up on news Jean. 
Organising some ‘guest bookings’ on board over the summer now I have the boat back, and Friday’s quiz completed a very relaxing day. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, kpnut said:

They’re still only tender babies and had spent the previous week sheltering in the car (I didn’t think tomatoes would fit on the boat as well as extra guests over the past weekend)

Wise move…they probably wouldn’t have survived Seren and Pozzick bumbling around your forward well. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:
3 hours ago, kpnut said:

Humph, according to project troll just now, I’ve made the wrong decision. Potter Heigham bridge is showing 6’8” a few minutes ago. 

Get up there quick! 

If I weren’t so far up the other way I most certainly would. It now says 6’9.5”. 

8 hours ago, kpnut said:

Karizma passed me heading downstream (or was that the day before? sorry Steve and Tracey). 

We can't remember what day it was either :default_biggrin:....... or what day it is now ! They all merge into one when you are in the  'Norfolk Time Zone' and you don't have to rush home :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karizma said:

We can't remember what day it was either :default_biggrin:....... or what day it is now ! They all merge into one when you are in the  'Norfolk Time Zone' and you don't have to rush home :default_beerchug:

The thing is, the bliss of ignoring all the days in between and letting time slide but still remembering what day you have to be back home (tricky).