Newbie With Many Questions!

Hello to everyone. We’ve just got ourselves a 19ft day boat and wonder if we can get some advice from all you knowledgeable people.

Apologies in advance for any dumb questions!

First thing that confuses us is where on the southern broads can a low craft moor? Mornings seemto be too high to step off the boat.

Thanks!

depending on tide, at some times I can step off the boat onto the dock, and at others at the same location step off the dock, down to the roof, so basically the nearer great yarmouth you get, the higher rise and fall at moorings (if you have a low freeboard and want to moor at great Yarmouth you might be better off mooring close to one of the ladders (dont block the ladder completely as its for emergency use too) other areas it will vary, some moorings are so low its a struggle to get off down to the bank, others may be higher, its the luck of the drawer, usually where there is a will theres a way, carrying a small set of steps on board may be one way to go., just make sure its secure.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tobster said:

You could always moor against a pontoon if available, or as suggested above.

There's a pontoon at Hardley Mill moorings, and also one at Oulton Broad dyke. I think there's a tiny pontoon at Whitlingham Broad park, but probably reserved for canoeists.

I've often noticed day boats moored at Geldeston too, and there isn't as much rise and fall up there.

• Like 1

Ferryhouse at surlingham has some low edges as does reedcutter at cantley, reedham is quite a low edge and overtops at times.

Obviously with bigger tides they can only be so low and will be a much bigger step at low water.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Good to know where there are smaller pontoons as not sure we are that able to climb up ladders and such. We got a smaller boat to enable us to explore the smaller parts of the broads but guess there’s a pay off when it comes to mooring. Glad the forums are full of helpful people though! Cheers.

• Like 1

for those who can struggle at moorings carrying a caravan step might help (either inboard or on the bank)

that said the other week I was chatting to someone who had his 91 year old mother on board, and she was managing with assistance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grendel said:

that said the other week I was chatting to someone who had his 91 year old mother on board, and she was managing with assistance.

I’ve bought a folding step for the very reason that my 90year old mum decided to jump off onto the low bank when we were moore at the quiet PH moorings last year. She did get a bit of a rollicking from me I must say!