The Commodore, Oulton Broad

YnysMon

I've just read a few reviews on Trip Advisor saying that The Commodore has reopened and is good. What's more, it's now dog friendly! We've not visited it before as they weren't, unless you wanted to sit outside. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ray said:

Looks good, do they have moorings, do you know?

Unless they have decided to stop allowing use since reopening The Commodore has always had moorings, lovely ones too since they were upgraded. £10 a night, refundable on food if memory serves me correctly

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Does anybody still trust Trip Advisor? 5 star reviews for hotels abroad and not even built and all that!

Trip Advisor is peculiar, you certainly can’t trust their ratings. Sometimes new owners take over and it takes ages for the rating to move up even if their reviews are uniformly positive. I prefer Google to be honest, and judging from recent comparisons between the two it looks to me as though fewer people are using Trip Advisor nowadays.

Given all that though, I’ve not been disappointed with places that we’ve visited that had glowing reviews, whereas we have had some disappointing experiences in places that have a mixture of glowing and dire reviews. The worst being The Lion, Thurne under previous ownership. Just about the worst meal we’ve ever been served…even though it was just scampi and chips. Who though you could ruin such a simple meal? I was so glad when I heard it was changing hands.

Anyway, I’ve decided it’s worth checking out reviews before committing to eat out and part with good money. 

We ate at the Commodore a few weeks ago and we all enjoyed our meals (including one vegetarian), (see: https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/25512-a-few-days-on-the-south-side/#comment-392807).  The menu was not the most comprehensive, similar to the one on their web site but there were about two pages of choices rather then just the one that downloads.  We were happy with the range of meals available.

There was a dog inside when we were there.

We enquired about moorings and were told (by the very friendly lady serving the meals) that moorings are free at the moment but they may add electricity and/or water later this year, at which time they will probably start charging a fee.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

We ate at the Commodore a few weeks ago and we all enjoyed our meals (including one vegetarian),

Doh! And I read your blog twice! Missed the reference to The Commodore somehow though. Sorry!