Turning Right Instead Of Left - Jourey To The River Deben

MY littleboat

At the Beginning of June we decided that, instead of taking out usual Broads sabbatical, that we would instead, grab the weather window, and take a trip coastward and visit the River Deben. Please enjoy these and happy sea cruising for all of those that leave The Broads from time to time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Many thanks for those. I really enjoyed them, even though I know nothing about ‘going to sea’ -it looks scary!
Loved the info about Woodbridge. My friend’s brother-in-law is vicar there, not sure if that was his church as there are two separate ones, both c of e, for some odd reason. I’ll show my friend when I next see her.
And the rest of the historical info in the videos was very interesting too. You’re right to say the area is well worth a visit, by car for me though!

Watched part 1, I'll watch the others later.

I also have fond memories of Woodbridge. I bought my first boat, a Seal 22 Sinbad from Andy Seedhouse. I kept it in his yard for 12 months and had the best view accross the Deben from the cockpit. I hope he's still around?

I am also fascinated by the Bell and Steelyard. The timbers of the yard are original and it used to weigh wagons in and out of the quay. Oh, and the Adnams shop. :default_smiley-char054:

• Love 1

17 hours ago, floydraser said:

Watched part 1, I'll watch the others later.

I also have fond memories of Woodbridge. I bought my first boat, a Seal 22 Sinbad from Andy Seedhouse. I kept it in his yard for 12 months and had the best view accross the Deben from the cockpit. I hope he's still around?

I am also fascinated by the Bell and Steelyard. The timbers of the yard are original and it used to weigh wagons in and out of the quay. Oh, and the Adnams shop. :default_smiley-char054:

Yes. Taken less than 5 minutes ago20220629_092451.thumb.jpg.a99f6df84495710a9273406d8e41d667.jpg20220629_092408.thumb.jpg.d4b5c3f26d294d385f23c85740e670c1.jpg20220629_092617.thumb.jpg.40d784502ef1f3c28d864344e30d63c7.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 27/06/2022 at 18:42, Smoggy said:

How much depth did you have over the bar and how close to HW? I'm hoping to be down there in a couple of weeks time.

I like woodbridge, got some lovely medieval buildings.

Hi there, I was approx HW-1 and had as little as 1.2m but generally 1.8-2m under my lowest point in the marked channel (So add 1m for true depth) - speaking with other locals it appears there is now an unofficial track heading straight for the martello tower. 

I've always found it better to enter about HW-1 so you still have a good visual aid as to where the sand bank is - at HW= it is all covered!!

On 28/06/2022 at 21:00, Smoggy said:

I just spotted your camping and paddling vid, my local patch and regular weekend dog walking grounds, you didn't find the best pub in town though, you have to be in the know to find the ale taster tucked away in russel street.

Ah we went back later and literally smashed every pub we could find lol!!! Although I will def look out for that one next time!!!

Ref Andy Seedhouse - yep the yard is still there although I am not sure if Andrew is running it himself now - I haven't seen him around for several years!  I think he had a son who was also involved!

In the den there is now a hair dressing kiosk with the junk all moved into a smaller space.

However, he always made the promise that he would get someone on the water, in something, whatever their budget! Never ripped anyone off, and has always been a really positive company to deal with.

• Like 2

On 28/06/2022 at 16:53, Smoggy said:

I was under the impression the scales were for the market charging people based on the weight they sold but happy to be corrected, fantastic building though.

I had no idea what the crane thing was for - I know someone drove into it a few years ago and it had to be rebuilt! I may drive down to Woodbridge and do a proper follow up vid of a couple of interesting feedback points I have read!

20 minutes ago, MY littleboat said:

Ah we went back later and literally smashed every pub we could find lol!!! Although I will def look out for that one next time!!!

You must have met one of the grumpiest landlords in the area then, ye olde sun, trip advisor is a funny read if you look for a comment by sandyman under terrible as the description is spot on for quite a few saturday afternoons in there, ignore the anti-vax/mask comment though as I know that are all jabbed in there as swmbo was working in the vax centre and saw most of the regulars and staff, a good little 'proper' pub though with good prices.

Tha Ale Taster is well worth a visit, if you like something obscure to drink they have a 'fridge of doom' and discount for takeout beer.

• 5 weeks later...
On 03/07/2022 at 12:25, Smoggy said:

You must have met one of the grumpiest landlords in the area then, ye olde sun, trip advisor is a funny read if you look for a comment by sandyman under terrible as the description is spot on for quite a few saturday afternoons in there, ignore the anti-vax/mask comment though as I know that are all jabbed in there as swmbo was working in the vax centre and saw most of the regulars and staff, a good little 'proper' pub though with good prices.

Tha Ale Taster is well worth a visit, if you like something obscure to drink they have a 'fridge of doom' and discount for takeout beer.

Haha I popped in there the other day - I wish I had read this first! lol!