Hire Boat Numbers

Captain

Thanks very much Neil.

San Pedro, formally Tideway(class of 4), is merely a sketch in the 1967 Blakes brochure. So I'm guessing it'd be ready for the '67 season. 

I'm surprised the longevity of the GRP's. It's not a "Trigger's broom" thing is it? Two hulls and three decks?

5 hours ago, Captain said:

The oldest Grp boat is probably San Pedro at Richardsons an Aquafibre Ocean 30 from around 1967

You may be right, Neil although I'd have thought Martham's Elysian centre cockpit runs it close?

I had no idea Rhapsody 1 was as old as 50, even though the interior is more like 11 or 12 years old I think. I'll look at it in a new light now.

For comparison in 1971 there where 144 hire yards and approx 2000 motor cruisers, 120 yachts and 170 houseboats for hire from 32 locations. How things have changed and how many moorings lost.

Fred

• Like 1

I don't believe there is any evidence that a boat has sunk because of osmosis!

Many people have made a fortune saying the work is necessary but evidence that it will affect the structural integrity of GRP - unlikely! Don't forget they used to lay up hulls more thickly - I think the bottom of my Westerly was well over half an inch thick, probably nearer an inch in places!

• Like 2

Hi Broads 01 

Yes Marthams grp boat is certainly an oldie however according to The Horning boat database it was built in 1976. Must have been re registered around 2011. That makes it late Elysian 27 as it could have been mid 60s. I believe Rhapsody was refitted in 2001/2

Neil 

• Like 1