Which Pub Or Restaurant Is Open

Andrewcook

18 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Does anyone know which Pun and Restaurants are Open and Closed around the Broads at this time and also their Hours? 

Most have got websites, Andrew.  Hours and other details will all be displayed there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Most have got websites, Andrew.  Hours and other details will all be displayed there.

Have to say many Pubs have old (forgotten & locked out of) websites so not to be relied upon - New tenants usually have no access to their predecessors sites Facebook & Tripadvisor are probably more reliable. Phone in likely open hours probably even better

Due to heating cost many seem to be updating almost weekly to avoid any cost as we run into the quiet season with the ongoing uncertainty (hence I am reluctant to quote any open hours:default_icon_neutral:)

1 hour ago, Bytheriver said:

Have to say many Pubs have old (forgotten & locked out of) websites so not to be relied upon - New tenants usually have no access to their predecessors sites Facebook & Tripadvisor are probably more reliable. Phone in likely open hours probably even better

Due to heating cost many seem to be updating almost weekly to avoid any cost as we run into the quiet season with the ongoing uncertainty (hence I am reluctant to quote any open hours:default_icon_neutral:)

When we used to be in the licensed trade irrespective of customers or not we always kept to our displayed and advertised hours , yes, this meant occasionally an evening we were paying for heating/lighting with little or no trade but equally we found that what was normally a dead evening we would be very busy with visiting groups happening upon us .

If the doors are not open the tills can’t be ringing, often these customers that first ventured in on a dead evening would become much valued regulars 

• Like 2

Personally, having learnt the hard way, I would pick up the phone and speak directly to the establishment to find out their opening hours and whether you need to make a booking or not.

Name and shame warning coming here, which I don't normally do, but I have already spoken with the establishment and felt particularly let down with no resolution offered and I provide only the facts.

Due to its popularity, I always book in advance if going to The Smokehouse Oulton Broad. As per usual I followed the book a table link from the sidebar on Google Maps which took me through to Open Table as in previous times and I booked a table for three people at 7:30pm for the 5th November. It also requested as before a holding deposit, which I would lose if I failed to show. The booking was made on the Tuesday 1st November.

At 18:03 on the 5th November I received a phone call from The Copper Smokehouse as below.

5e5bfa4e-a24a-4aad-9d0f-bac7a0c211c7.thumb.jpg.87b36c85555f8635d38cf40b8e898f93.jpg

They informed me that they were ringing to apologise but the booking should not have been accepted by Open Table and they were fully booked and could not provide me with a table. I asked if there were any later or earlier times, but they insisted they were fully booked. I asked about the holding deposit and was told they don't get passed the credit card details and it was a matter between me and Open Table, but I shouldn't be charged. The other number above is for the Turkish restaurant Shish Anotolia who were very accommodating and fitted us in without a problem.

When I checked The Copper Smokehouse's own website it still at that time had links that took you through to Open Table and ironically, we could have used it to book a table later that night, although I'm sure it wouldn't have been honoured. By the next day the bookings had been blocked out till the end of November and now the website has been updated to use ResDiary for their table bookings. Even now there is evidence of a rather messy last minute edit on their website to point to the new table booking service. Open Table still have a listing for The Copper Smokehouse but are not taking any bookings.

Clearly there has been some sort of dispute between the restaurant and the service they were using for table bookings and I got caught up in the middle of it, but feel that the restaurant should have made more of an effort to honour a booking made in good faith, especially as their website still says "Thank you for your reservation at The Copper Smokehouse. We are an independent restaurant and rely on reservations being honoured." It then goes on to say "We ask for 24 hours notice of a cancellation or reduction in numbers and reservations that fail to give this notice or fail to show up, will automatically incur a £20pp fee."

What's good for the goose is good for the gander springs to mind.

Needless to say I shall not be setting foot in there again.

So to finish I wouldn't rely on a pub or restaurant's website, Facebook page or any other table booking service. Always speak directly to the establishment to find out opening hours and to make bookings.

• Like 1