What Should We Do?

MauriceMynah

No point in going over the tragedy of the last 24 hours unless something positive can be achieved. 

My question is very simple.

If a person sees someone going through the ice into the water, what should they do?

I appreciate dialling 999, but what, if anything should a reasonably fit adult do to assist.

It is easier to assess such actions in hindsight,  but perhaps a discussion here and now might arm us with the knowledge required to make sound decisions and take effective actions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Firstly remember there is a reason they went through the ice. It was thin. Always call for help and then,

1. Preach

Provide encouragement, talk to them and encourage them to stay afloat. Let them know you're there.

2. Reach

If you can reach them without leaving land, then reach out and try and pull them out.

3. Throw

If you cannot reach them, then throw a rope, use a ladder, boot hook anything they can grab hold of without you going on the ice.

4. Row

Find something you can float on to cross the ice to reach them.

5. Go

If all else fails and you are fit enough then you might just have to venture out on the ice, but never stand upright. Spread out flat, spread your weight as much as possible. Combine Go, with reach if possible to keep yourself away from the thinner ice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

wouldn't go with no.5, if a kid has gone through the ice an adult has no chance

The advice I repeated is generic protocol for dealing with people going through the ice and meant to be easy to remember. (Preach Reach Throw Row Go) I wasn't thinking in particular of recent events, just answering MM's request. Each situation needs to be considered carefully based upon the circumstances. 

• Like 1

Thanks Meantime,  the generic advice was exactly what I was after. I accept that each situation will differ greatly including the weight of the casualty, so personal assessments will be necessary as smoggy points out. However,  your post gives a good foundation  to make those assessments from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

Firstly remember there is a reason they went through the ice. It was thin. Always call for help and then,

1. Preach

Provide encouragement, talk to them and encourage them to stay afloat. Let them know you're there.

2. Reach

If you can reach them without leaving land, then reach out and try and pull them out.

3. Throw

If you cannot reach them, then throw a rope, use a ladder, boot hook anything they can grab hold of without you going on the ice.

4. Row

Find something you can float on to cross the ice to reach them.

5. Go

If all else fails and you are fit enough then you might just have to venture out on the ice, but never stand upright. Spread out flat, spread your weight as much as possible. Combine Go, with reach if possible to keep yourself away from the thinner ice.

I have jumped into the ice on one or two occasions, to fish people out and you don't go through a check list : it happens in seconds and you just do it.

There is a thing called "cold shock".  If you are a strong swimmer with a heart and a pair of lungs that work, you can jump in the ice and get someone out.  So long as the whole thing doesn't take more than about 3 minutes.

You cannot expect anyone who has fallen in to help you, as they are literally frozen by "cold shock".  So there is no point in encouraging them from a distance or reaching out to them.  If you want to help them you have to go in and fish them out.  If you yourself are not fit enough then don't go in.

I can't advise on whether you should or not : all I can say is that when you are faced with it, it happens in seconds.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what I would do or how I would react. Although MT's post with the 5 points listed is very good I think panic could take over unless you are an emergency worker and are trained to deal with such situations or an extremely calm person .

I know if it was one of my children all logic would be lost and I would go in after them without hesitation putting myself in danger, how anyone could keep calm witnessing that is beyond me.

Good advice as always though but I would imagine in some situations all sensible thinking and actions are lost through sheer panic x

• Like 2