Mud Weighting Overnight

BoF

Some advice on mud weighting please?

I have been solo boating since 2015, but domestic and work commitments, followed by the pandemic, have kept me away since 2018. That was the year that Richardson's stopped solo bookings and cancelled my booking just 2 weeks before my hire date. Whilst I accepted their right to change the terms of hire, their failure to honour bookings already made was, and still is for me, unforgivable. 

Fortunately, Bridge Craft kindly stepped in at very short notice and I was able to book ‘Golden Bridge’. I am returning to Bridge Craft and this hire is for ‘Tay Bridge’.

I like to mud weight overnight and in 2018, you could do so on Hoveton Little Broad. Is this still the case?

Are you still able to moor outside the marker posts on Barton Broad? If so, any recommendations?

Can you still get to Wood End Staithe, and if so, is the public mooring still in use?

Thanks,

Chris

Yes to Woods End Staithe but room for one boat only!

Anywhere outside the posts on Barton is ok - they make it obvious generally where you cannot go. Generally the main part of the Broad is ok even up to the reeds apart from the shallow area on the east side half way up marked with green buoys. The only area I would be wary of is right down the S/W bit towards the Neatishead arm but before you get to Gays Staithe - outside of the posts it is getting weedier.

Blackhorse - at the moment it is generally ok but last year later on the weed growth was pretty heavy in spots so just keep your eye on it. Its not the green strandy stuff but stringier and builds up, and more like matt weed - similar to Wroxham towards the bottom end and also right up the top.

Enjoy mudweighting - its still the best!!!!!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, marshman said:

Yes to Woods End Staithe but room for one boat only!

Anywhere outside the posts on Barton is ok - they make it obvious generally where you cannot go. Generally the main part of the Broad is ok even up to the reeds apart from the shallow area on the east side half way up marked with green buoys. The only area I would be wary of is right down the S/W bit towards the Neatishead arm but before you get to Gays Staithe - outside of the posts it is getting weedier.

Blackhorse - at the moment it is generally ok but last year later on the weed growth was pretty heavy in spots so just keep your eye on it. Its not the green strandy stuff but stringier and builds up, and more like matt weed - similar to Wroxham towards the bottom end and also right up the top.

Enjoy mudweighting - its still the best!!!!!!

Thank you! 

I agree, mudweighting is the best 👍

I was put in the same position as you in 2018 with Richardsons, BoF and it still niggles me now. Thank goodness for the sensible operators who continue to offer solo hiring.

Mudweighting overnight for me generally isn't an option as I have a dog. I was dogless for one trip last year though and really wanted to mudweight overnight. I dropped the mudweight at both Barton and South Walsham but chickened out on both occasions due to windy conditions.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I was put in the same position as you in 2018 with Richardsons, BoF and it still niggles me now. Thank goodness for the sensible operators who continue to offer solo hiring.

I accept we are moving ‘off-topic’, but did you ever find out why Richardson’s took that decision? I was told it was due to ‘insurance issues’, but I felt that was a BS response just to make me go away.

44 minutes ago, BoF said:

I accept we are moving ‘off-topic’, but did you ever find out why Richardson’s took that decision? I was told it was due to ‘insurance issues’, but I felt that was a BS response just to make me go away.

No I didn't receive a proper explanation sadly.

27 minutes ago, NeilB said:

I think insurance was just an excuse as other yards don’t seem to have an issue.  There is an increased risk in single handing and I suspect they wanted to avoid any potential issues.

Yes I accept the consequences of falling in with no-one around could be greater. However, as an experienced hirer I consider myself lower risk of causing damage and injury than a crew of novices.

• Like 1