Wifi Signal

PaulN

Where we moor, the marina has a wifi system with booster transmitter aerials around the marina. We use to get a good signal, but since a large Broom cruiser moved in a couple of moorings away, we have lost line of site with the aerial and hence the signal.

Is there such a thing as booster receiver aerial that we could mount on a pole like we have our TV aerial on that would transfer the wifi signal into our boat.

Any help will be appreciated.

I would say there must be such a thing as the marina has them dotted about, is it worth your while talking to the marina owners to see if one of the existing ones can be relocated to line of sight?

failing that one of my huawei wifi  modules has the ability to have antennae plugged in with quite a long length of cable, that works well at some of the moorings that had trickier signals at low tide.

3 hours ago, PaulN said:

Is there such a thing as booster receiver aerial that we could mount on a pole like we have our TV aerial on that would transfer the wifi signal into our boat.

Any help will be appreciated.

The simple answer is Yes there is. Search Wi-Fi booster.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

If there are several repeater stations, you could try deleting the current one and retuning to see if you pick up another station.

If it's a proper install then they'll all use the same SSID (network name) and your devices will be switched to the access point with the strongest signal.

But certainly a WiFi repeater is worth looking into.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I can receive a signal right at the back of the boat, so yesterday I drove to Argos at North Walsham and bought a tp-link AC1750 wifi extender and now have a good signal all around the boat:default_biggrin:

20230705_134819.thumb.jpg.ab4db08079cc702a2cfe87f60e3a0f56.jpg

• Like 4