Funding The Broads And Canals

YnysMon

I’ve just been watching Fran and Rich’s latest YouTube vlog (they are regular canal boat vloggers…channel ’Floating our boat’) where they were saying that the government is due to slash funding for the CRT (Canal and River Trust) from 2027. I wonder if the BA might be similarly affected? Hope not! 

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

I’ve just been watching Fran and Rich’s latest YouTube vlog (they are regular canal boat vloggers…channel ’Floating our boat’) where they were saying that the government is due to slash funding for the CRT (Canal and River Trust) from 2027. I wonder if the BA might be similarly affected? Hope not! 

The Inland Waterways Association have started a campaign to procure more funding for the Canal & River Trust & are involving like minded groups https://waterways.org.uk/fund-britains-waterways  The Broads being funded from the National Park pot ( hence it had their share of the additional cash for 2023-4) is not under the same threat (as yet) Letters to your MP to make them aware of the situation would not come amiss ?

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Worrying. I've just returned from a fortnight on the Llangollen and Montgomery canals, our first canal holiday since we sold our share in Winding Down in 2014 after many years of canal boating since 1984. Quite a few of the bridges definitely needed renovation work and a couple had large cracks in the brickwork - one in particular where the arch was coming away from its surrounds.

The C&RT has repaired the banking under one bridge we passed, not with the original coping stones, but with what appeared to be a length of wood* about five foot long of similar cross-section of a balance beam, which will probably stop the bank from falling into the canal but is not in keeping with the rest of the bridge and as it was set back from, and didn't follow the natural curve of the remaining coping stones, would probably be susceptible to further damage caused by boats hitting it.

If the funding is to be slashed i think the future for the canal network is bleak.

* I don't think it was concrete as it was too smooth.

A bit like the Broads not being a proper National Park, there is a debate on whether the CRT is a proper charity or a pseudo government department. When it was set up it had a (then) generous funding arrangement. By being given a long term funding arrangement it was separated from the annual departmental cuts it would undoubtedly have suffered if it had remained 'nationalised'. However, it was fixed in cash terms, so a slight reduction each year whilst inflation is low, but really hitting it now inflation has risen so high. The way they have been managed has also come in for a lot of criticism. A lot of directly employed staff have gone to be replaced by volunteers. You do now see more 'blue shirts' on the ground, so it does look good, but many things those staff used to do simply aren't done. Regular maintenance has gone to be replaced by 'fix on fail'. So if, say, a paddle fails on a lock it is not fixed until the second paddle fails. However, this results in longer unplanned stoppages and it seems that barely a month goes by in season without a stoppage on a major holiday route. Not good if you are trying to run a business reliant on the canal. CRT were also hit very badly by the failure of Toddbrook reservoir. I don't think when the funding for CRT was set up anyone thought that there would be such a liability for these very large ageing assets which when you are cruising you don't see. This has also resulted in less maintenance on the canals to divert funds. So all in all not a very rosy picture.

Traditionally campaigning organisations such as the IWA fought for the canals against the 'nationalised' industry. When the CRT was set up, being a 'charity' the likes of the IWA were more side-lined. However, when you hit a funding crisis like now, it is more difficult for the CRT to bite the hand that feeds it. The IWA and other waterways charities (Fund Britain's Waterways is a joint campaign with a number of other organisations) need to find their mojo again. At least they have started.

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Those of us on the great ouse were pleased the bedford Milton Keynes link didn't happen,  great ouse just doesn't have the moorings to be on a circular canal route and most local boats couldn't go the other way due to airdraft. 

Is that definitely off the cards now? There are still signs about it at our end (MK).

I don't think either project has been officially cancelled. But if they are struggling to maintain what is there now, where would the money come from for new canals.

There was also a scheme to join a new locked at sea end marina at Kings Lynn to the RGO via the Nar or Wissey, eliminating the need to pass Denver Sluice.

• Like 1