Hemsby Private Life Boat Station.

Andrewcook

In the Norfolk Newspaper today it has mentioned about this Private Hemsby Life Boats being the to the duration of the Winter. I believe it has par for all things such as Sea Recuse and Rivers and others I don't know where the is Nearest Life Boats are place but It still needs a lottery funding or some sort to keep it afloat

Hopefully a case of if, or when, the station building becomes unusable then finding an alternative location.

Being next to the beach won’t be as important if there is no beach which undoubtably would mean few, if any visitors going for a paddle or swim.

Not good news for Hemsby but as a tourist destination it still has plenty to offer.

• Like 1

Andrew - clearly the RNLI are the people you need to ask but my guess is that they would say that the area is well covered If a private organisation feels the need to add to this cover, then thats their prerogative, However clearly because of beach erosion and perhaps other funding issues, they do not feel its necessary. There is of course the other independent station at Caister which has an ILB and indeed a much bigger one too. Mundesley also has, I believe, a volunteer boat

Having been involved in Lottery grants once or twice, they often come with other issues with conditions attached.

The Hemsby LB is often tasked to issues on the Broads as its trailable - handy to have around given the area covered but how often did you see posts, particularly on the apparently now extinct "other side", as to whether the lifeboat was actually needed? Difficult to answer that I know, but such a boat is a resource which is of value, but it's questionable how many rescue boats are needed in this relatively small area of coast.

In the summer the RNLI also have lifeguards on selected beaches and they have available jetskis with rescue sleds.

I think the motive amongst locals to keep the boats in service is quite well explained with an expression popular amongst 2nd amendment supporting Americans "when seconds count, the Police are just minutes away". If someone's in trouble in water, the margin between a life saved and one lost can be microscopically small.

In an ideal world, the RNLI should really be taking over and improving these services. They're actually very cash rich. A recent year's accounts showed £220m income versus £178m expenditure.

1 hour ago, marshman said:

.... There is of course the other independent station at Caister which has an ILB and indeed a much bigger one too. Mundesley also has, I believe, a volunteer boat

And also Sea Palling ILB

I believe Humber Coastguard task resources whenever they receive a 999 call, given that the volunteers at Hemsby ILB are regularly tasked clearly they are an important and much appreciated emergency service. If they need help relocating I have no doubt that the local community will do all they can. Just as our recently lost friend Ian did 👍

• Like 4

When I was young, if you spent a day on the beach, you could pretty much assume you'd see a search and rescue Sea King from Coltishall at some point. I wonder if the lack of RNLI coverage between Happisburgh and Yarmouth is in any way due to this and the assumption that the RAF would be there if needed.

The RNLI's capital is such that they could put a couple of decent permanent stations in and barely even notice the dent in their finances (they lost £26m a few years ago just in investment losses!). What's the betting if you asked why they're not considering doing so, coastal erosion would be cited as a reason not to?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dom said:

When I was young, if you spent a day on the beach, you could pretty much assume you'd see a search and rescue Sea King from Coltishall at some point. I wonder if the lack of RNLI coverage between Happisburgh and Yarmouth is in any way due to this and the assumption that the RAF would be there if needed.

The RNLI's capital is such that they could put a couple of decent permanent stations in and barely even notice the dent in their finances (they lost £26m a few years ago just in investment losses!). What's the betting if you asked why they're not considering doing so, coastal erosion would be cited as a reason not to?

Apart from Coltishall base having shut down it’s my understanding that the majority, if not all, air sea rescue has been privatised now. E,g. RAF Valley (where Prince William was based) no longer operates the air sea rescue for the North Wales coast and Eryri (Snowdonia)  That’s now done by a private company based in Caernarfon. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Apart from Coltishall base having shut down it’s my understanding that the majority, if not all, air sea rescue has been privatised now. E,g. RAF Valley (where Prince William was based) no longer operates the air sea rescue for the North Wales coast and Eryri (Snowdonia)  That’s now done by a private company based in Caernarfon. 

Bristows have the SAR Coastguard Contract for the UK

• Like 1