How Difficult Is It To Get Out Of The Broads And Get To Wells-next-the-sea

This is a journey that we undertook in September - without Gt Yarmouth Haven Bridge lifting, and Mutford Road Bridge unexpectantly also broken, we actually did manage to get out of the Broads and trundle Northward. I have managed to get the first part completed - we could have driven there in about 50 mins, but this was soo much more fun!

I know we have a few followers from NBN, but just to remind everyone, we do not monetise our content and make it just for fun!

• Like 10
  • Love 4

Thank you for the video.          We have just returned from Wells this morning after spending 4 days (sunning ourselves in our bikinis)!!!!   Sorry freezing our bits off.  We had a fantastic time.    I hasten to add we went by road.   Wells is like home to me.  Never disappoints.     The property you show next to the Jolly Sailor Yard is where we stayed.    It was built recently.   Saw a whole flock of Brent Geese , not sure if they just got blown in to land or what, a seal right up the far end of the estuary and even some folk swimming, yes swimming in this cold weather.     I hope you enjoyed your stay as well.     Keep the videos coming.     You are brave.

January swimmers.jpg

Thank you both for your kind comments - yes Wells is particularly enchanting for so many reasons. Getting there by boat isn't easy when you have to make tide directed decisions - I am glad Haven Bridge is now operational, although the sour taste of £20 each way just to use the port, regardless of Bridge lifting, isn't great.

Hylander - that building does look interesting, however, speaking with locals, because so many properties are either Air BnB or second homes, recruiting people has become all but impossible - although that building does look interesting and I bet it is really lovely inside!

In light of the success of Part 1 of our Trip to Wells, we have brought forward the premier of part 2 which will be available to watch from 7.30pm today!

you both for your kind comments - 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MY littleboat said:

Getting there by boat isn't easy when you have to make tide directed decisions

I found by cruising at around 16knots it worked quite well for getting under haven with headroom, having the tide pushing most of the way till past Cromer and arriving at the fairway about HW-2hrs spot on for early entry without having to hang around in the bay at anchor, it was a different matter when we still had Leo though going everywhere at 7 knots.

Our JT keeps banging on about me taking 'B.A' (And his lot obviously) for a visit to Wells.  Our best cruising  speed won't be owt above 8kts max (Without tidal stream assistance) so if I do decide to go for it, some previous planning will be required as per the norm

Griff

You are right there Griff,   Wells is not for the faint hearted.     The times when you can get in and out and few and far between.     It seemed to us that the tide whipped in and whipped out again not long afterwards and it went out for hours and hours.     Be good if you could do it though and you would not be disappointed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Wells is not for the faint hearted. 

Wells is no problem (but it does have a bad reputation) just avoid any stong wind with a N or E, tide wise there's a 4 hour window, HW+-2 hours and you'd probably make the outer harbour outside those times too so plan your arrival for HW-2hrs and you have a 4 hour window to allow for any problems along the way, if you're early most of the fishing boats are happy for you to follow them in as they know the deepest places, go surprisingly close to the greens along the beach as the tide set will always hold you off them, the other side is where the problems lie (I know a guy that got neaped on bob halls sand for a good few weeks).

If you are too early there's good anchoring in holkham bay and you can get fairly close in to the beach for a dinghy trip ashore or just take a cruise along the bay while you wait.

Wells was my first trip on the salty stuff, I love the way the water comes alive as the tide rises and goes quiet as it falls.

BTW the tide sets East around HW-2hrs so even more reason to aim for the early entrance and exit, give them a call and Bob will usually come out in the launch and guide you in if you ask.

Me and a mate took a pair of oldies there in 2011, Leo was early 70's and Silver Gem was 1966.

SS852667.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1