Are Sensationalised Social Media And Youtube Posts Damaging The Broads Tourism Industry?

grendel

On 19/04/2024 at 20:53, SophieWallace said:

Some people just wish not to appear on camera.

Which is exactly the point. It's reasonable to assume those filmed smashing into, or stuck under the bridge would rather not appear. Why should they be forced to appear on camera, when the person filming doesn't?

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, dom said:

Which is exactly the point. It's reasonable to assume those filmed smashing into, or stuck under the bridge would rather not appear. Why should they be forced to appear on camera, when the person filming doesn't?

Absolutely spot on. I get sick of seeing some poor soul mess up, having it filmed, splashed all over the internet, being ridiculed and called idiots etc

Do these people who film these events mess up in life? I would think so, glass houses and all that 

Grace x

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Do these people who film these events mess up in life? I would think so, glass houses and all that 

And even that is not the main point : these  little "peeping Toms" are actually earning a living out it.

This is a rather nasty form of voyeurism.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

And even that is not the main point : these  little "peeping Toms" are actually earning a living out it.

This is a rather nasty form of voyeurism.

Steady on there Vaughan, both voyeurism and being a Peeping Tom in their truest definitions are nasty activities and illegal. 

You may not agree with people filming in a public place, but it is not illegal.

Its a fact of life that cameras are everywhere these days, you cannot even walk down most streets without appearing on someone's door bell video camera. More so when you visit a tourist spot. Try walking across Tower Bridge in London and not appearing in anyone's pictures or videos. Chances are if you trip up and fall over, it will be caught on camera! Someone will laugh at your misfortune.

Everywhere I drive my dashcam captures the journey and everyone and everything I drive past. It's not going to change.

The only thing you can change is whether or not you choose to take the time to watch the videos on Youtube, Facebook etc, and, or read the comments.

It's a fact of life that other people laugh at other people's misfortune. Some comedians make an art form out of this to elicit laughs. 

Even the Queen had a chuckle when Sir Norman Wisdom pretended to trip up as he walked away from the Queen after his knighthood investiture at Buckingham Palace.

• Like 4

It is a fact of life, yes but I agree with Vaughan nonetheless. I have a dashcam too but that's not the same because I have one to protect myself, not to make money from others. Anything which makes money from other people's mistakes and misery is distasteful in my view. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Meantime said:

The only thing you can change is whether or not you choose to take the time to watch the videos on Youtube, Facebook etc, and, or read the comments.

Which I most certainly don't ; never have done and don't intend to.

Unless they are drawn to my attention by this forum.     :default_jumelles:

5 hours ago, Meantime said:

Even the Queen had a chuckle when Sir Norman Wisdom pretended to trip up as he walked away from the Queen after his knighthood investiture at Buckingham Palace.

I cannot see any relevance whatever, to that iconic moment in honouring one of the country's most famous comedians.

Unless you are suggesting that all this internet blogging is just slapstick comedy.

Which, of course, it is! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

It is a fact of life, yes but I agree with Vaughan nonetheless. I have a dashcam too but that's not the same because I have one to protect myself, not to make money from others. Anything which makes money from other people's mistakes and misery is distasteful in my view. 

I guess you never watched Jeremy Beadle then! Mainstream TV used to pay £250 for funny clips of other peoples misfortune.

22 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I cannot see any relevance whatever, to that iconic moment in honouring one of the country's most famous comedians.

Unless you are suggesting that all this internet blogging is just slapstick comedy.

People laugh at other peoples misfortune, they always have, and that's the part that slapstick comedians are often exploiting.

How many times have you watched a work colleague do something stupid and tried not to laugh and then once you know they nave calmed down and are ok, everyone laughs about it and takes the Mick for the next few weeks. 

You see someone slip on a banana skin, it is funny once you know they haven't seriously hurt themselves. Once you know it is only someone's dignity that has been hurt, people laugh at such incidents. The laughing induces endorphins which often reduces the stress in such situations.

• Like 1

"Unless you are suggesting that all this internet blogging is just slapstick comedy.

Which, of course, it is!"

I disagree.  It is more sinister than that.

It is an intrusion on people's  private holiday thier treasured moment. Not to be exploited by those who take an advantage by manipulation. 

May I refer you to the heading of this post.

"Are Sensationalised Social Media And Youtube Posts Damaging The Broads Tourism Industry?"

You bet it does. 

And I will continue to challenge this damaging and negative intrusion.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Meantime said:
3 hours ago, Broads01 said:

It is a fact of life, yes but I agree with Vaughan nonetheless. I have a dashcam too but that's not the sam

e because I have one to protect myself, not to make money from others. Anything which makes money from other people's mistakes and misery is distasteful in my view. 

Expand  

I guess you never watched Jeremy Beadle then! Mainstream TV used to pay £250 for funny clips of other peoples misfortune.

Yes I watched that years ago. I didn't like that much either because most of it was contrived for the camera. Just because filming others' misfortune isn't new doesn't make it right.

• Like 2

I've been to the Norfolk Broads many years and hired boats. 

1, no way on earth will any YouTube video stop people hiring boats. place is busier than ever . 

2, all publicity is good publicity 

3, YouTubers I know have gained followers from boaters like myself. And great for when you are away from the broads , I've actually booked sooner and  again  because I watch them start videos earlier in the year. 

4, someone is always gonna watch you make a mistake on a boat .. Tip . Keep going and get good at it ! 

• Like 2

On 21/04/2024 at 20:05, Wussername said:

May I refer you to the heading of this post.

"Are Sensationalised Social Media And Youtube Posts Damaging The Broads Tourism Industry?"

You bet it does. 

I live moderately close to Rufford Ford, I've seen a place get ruined by sensationalised SM/YT posts. The people showing off or - at least - attempting to were the cause of the road being closed to through-traffic. I struggle to imagine any posts that could be made that would sensationalise the Broads enough to have anywhere near the same effect.

Sure, there's posts with bridge and mooring mishaps, but they're rarely played for laughs and they're very useful for have-a-go "Captains" like myself to see what to do and what not to do. I only get a week on the water a year, I don't get the opportunity to learn from hundreds of minor mistakes as I would if I was spending a full season afloat.

2 hours ago, William92 said:

I live moderately close to Rufford Ford, I've seen a place get ruined by sensationalised SM/YT posts. The people showing off or - at least - attempting to were the cause of the road being closed to through-traffic. I struggle to imagine any posts that could be made that would sensationalise the Broads enough to have anywhere near the same effect.

Sure, there's posts with bridge and mooring mishaps, but they're rarely played for laughs and they're very useful for have-a-go "Captains" like myself to see what to do and what not to do. I only get a week on the water a year, I don't get the opportunity to learn from hundreds of minor mistakes as I would if I was spending a full season afloat.

Hi William. Thank you for your post. I do not believe that there is anything to learn from the distorted contribution of the so called youtubers.

It would seem that thier contribution has not been embraced as a valued effort to the overall concerns which we have to address.

What exactly is thier motive?

Regards

Old Wussername 

That's a fair opinion to have, there's a hobby for everyone and everyone takes away different lessons from the videos etc (including "none, why on earth did I waste my time watching that?" 🤣)

Going to the topic of "Are Sensationalised Social Media And Youtube Posts Damaging The Broads Tourism Industry?", I'm not sure that they actually are. The potential is there, somewhere, though I don't think it would resemble any sort of documented reality at that point and would be a huge leap from what is seen about the Broads online at present.

29 minutes ago, William92 said:

Going to the topic of "Are Sensationalised Social Media And Youtube Posts Damaging The Broads Tourism Industry?", I'm not sure that they actually are. The potential is there, somewhere, though I don't think it would resemble any sort of documented reality at that point and would be a huge leap from what is seen about the Broads online at present.

There's at least one video on Youtube with first time hirers approaching Ludham Bridge with trepidation, referring to the fact that if they get it wrong, they'll end up being filmed and uploaded without any choice in the matter.

If you talk to anyone who deals with marketing and impulse purchasing, they'll tell you that the decision whether to commit to an expensive purchase is often a very knife edge affair - and the same rules apply to holidays.

We already have enough things threatening the boating industry - competition from cheap foreign holidays, BA, the green movement, high water levels, etc. We don't need to be adding another self inflicted wound to an industry which supports the economy of large parts of Broadland.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1