Name That Dog

Smoggy

41 minutes ago, Gracie said:

I think she's had one too many and is sleeping it off under the green couch :default_biggrin:

Grace x

Well spotted!

She does like to hide and snooze, she also likes the dregs from a glass of beer so you may be right on both counts. :default_beerchug:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Gracie said:

I think she's had one too many and is sleeping it off under the green couch :default_biggrin:

Grace x

You only know that because you were under there with her :default_rolleyes:

• Haha 5

Looks like someone’s kitchen in their house. When I was a student,  I used to go and help out in a pub with small brewery attached. The pub actually was the owners’ front room. Wonder if it’s still there, in a place called Stottesdon in Shropshire. 

Edit - for anyone interested in CAMRA type things, I’ve just looked it up. Was Dasher Downings at the Fox and Hounds. Both now closed. 

• Sad 2

Not quite off topic as the pub is called the Fox and HOUNDS :default_biggrin:

It first appeared in the Good Beer Guide of 1975 (well before your time Mrs KP) but was shown as a brew pub in the 1983 Guide, although again well before your time! Can't seem to find when it closed though. Shame, sounds like it was a cracking pub :default_beerchug:

DSC_2016.JPG

DSC_2018.JPG

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

It first appeared in the Good Beer Guide of 1975 (well before your time Mrs KP) but was shown as a brew pub in the 1983 Guide, although again well before your time!

Hi Howard, thanks for that. Exactly when I was brewing there! (Showing my age!!)

1982 and 1983. I rushed the last morning of my final exams to get there in time for running the wort from the mash tun into the copper as the boss was out. 
I think I found out last night that it sadly closed in 1988. 

Is the Raven brewery in Vine Street in Brighton or the Basketmakers Arms (the tap house) in there?
I worked there too before going to college and in holidays, so about that time. I think it closed or got taken over soon after.
My friend used to collect the spent grains for his dairy herd and I used to do deliveries in my mum’s Fiat estate (unbeknown to her). It was just me and Vincent the boss as his brewer had succumbed to too many gallons over a couple of years and sadly couldn’t really work any longer.
Lasting memories of having too much at the Basketmakers at lunchtime and coming back to run the brew at 100•C from the copper to the f.v. through two pumps that didn’t have the same flow rate. It involved using a measuring stick to prod the switches on the wall as I daren’t touch them in the steam. So sitting on the wooden steps squinting at the double socket and hoping I’d get it right. There were a few spillages. 
Also cleaning the f.vessels after a brew had been casked. They were tall insulated ones a bit like a giant hot water tank in an airing cupboard and it involved me getting in with a scourer to scrape off all the lees. Now I think back, there must have been quite a surplus of CO2 in there. We did let them air for 24 hours first but had no monitor. I’d go home stinking of yeast as it’d be all over the back of my shoulders. 

I was bar manager at the agric college I attended, and used to take a couple of kilns up in the car at the start of every term. Also the same with the Stottesdon brewery every now and again. Our main offering was Marstons Pedigree when it was independent, I did my cellar management course there. I now walk past with my granddaughter in the pushchair and wish I could do so again. I have to make do with the smell of the brew. 

Good days, I’d go back to them in a jot!

Anyway, sorry Smoggy. I digress. Can’t resist talking about brewing and good beer. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Hi Howard, thanks for that. Exactly when I was brewing there! (Showing my age!!)

1982 and 1983. I rushed the last morning of my final exams to get there in time for running the wort from the mash tun into the copper as the boss was out. 
I think I found out last night that it sadly closed in 1988. 

Is the Raven brewery in Vine Street in Brighton or the Basketmakers Arms (the tap house) in there?
I worked there too before going to college and in holidays, so about that time. I think it closed or got taken over soon after.
My friend used to collect the spent grains for his dairy herd and I used to do deliveries in my mum’s Fiat estate (unbeknown to her). It was just me and Vincent the boss as his brewer had succumbed to too many gallons over a couple of years and sadly couldn’t really work any longer.
Lasting memories of having too much at the Basketmakers at lunchtime and coming back to run the brew at 100•C from the copper to the f.v. through two pumps that didn’t have the same flow rate. It involved using a measuring stick to prod the switches on the wall as I daren’t touch them in the steam. So sitting on the wooden steps squinting at the double socket and hoping I’d get it right. There were a few spillages. 
Also cleaning the f.vessels after a brew had been casked. They were tall insulated ones a bit like a giant hot water tank in an airing cupboard and it involved me getting in with a scourer to scrape off all the lees. Now I think back, there must have been quite a surplus of CO2 in there. We did let them air for 24 hours first but had no monitor. I’d go home stinking of yeast as it’d be all over the back of my shoulders. 

I was bar manager at the agric college I attended, and used to take a couple of kilns up in the car at the start of every term. Also the same with the Stottesdon brewery every now and again. Our main offering was Marstons Pedigree when it was independent, I did my cellar management course there. I now walk past with my granddaughter in the pushchair and wish I could do so again. I have to make do with the smell of the brew. 

Good days, I’d go back to them in a jot!

Anyway, sorry Smoggy. I digress. Can’t resist talking about brewing and good beer. 

Gosh Kate. I never cease to marvel at the things you have got up to. Talk about a life well lived! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1