broads bridge details

Guest SetFair

4 hours ago, WonkyDocker said:

Phone for me for now… need to look into the VHF & course side of things… keep meaning to but never have as of yet - never even paid much attention to my phone signal while out and about… don’t want to get caught short 🤣

I didn’t think you could phone them anymore. Contact is by VHF I believe. 

On 08/04/2023 at 19:01, WonkyDocker said:

Hi all,

(Apologies in advance if not most appropriate forum topic to ask in this page)

I’ve never phoned any of the swing bridges as of yet - however looking to explore more solo and maybe not always lower the canopy. 

Out of curiosity - Is it frowned upon to call a swing bridge and ask for times they are planning any openings on the day of sailing? 

They are quite happy to be called ( quite a boring job now as they do not control the signals any more ( done from Colchester) but remember the facility was withdrawn a few years ago when people were blaming the signaller for every fault & delay. A lot of money has been spent with more to come in the autumn though it will not stop the bridges expanding in hot weather ( its not just the rails )From observation despite last summers hot weather they were only closed on some afternoons

44 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

I didn’t think you could phone them anymore. Contact is by VHF I believe. 

I will check with Reedham Ranger tomorrow as I don't think they have put the numbers back up this year Broadcaster does not give them though does for Oulton Broad ( same as last year)

• 5 months later...
14 minutes ago, 750XL said:

Speaking of bridges, is there any website that offers accurate Ludham Bridge heights?

We had a 8ft 10" boat booked but chickened out and have done down to a 6ft 5"

If the water levels are ok before we go, looking to probably upgrade to original boat

No.  Ultimately, this one is supposed to extend to cover all Broads bridges, but since it’s inception, I don’t think any more have need added:

https://broads.bridgeheight.com

At 8ft 10ins, as late into the season as you are going, I think the chances of passing under Ludham Bridge would be low.  We struggle sometimes with an airdraft of 8ft 3 ins.  If cruising The Ant forms an important part of your holiday, then you would be best sticking with something with an airdraft of less than 8ft.

There is probably some safety margin in their measurement and the boards at Ludham are notoriously inaccurate, but there are plenty of craft available to hire that will negotiate the bridge more easily.