Poor old Chatterbox sunk!

VoysinDeMurk

]I see that the sorry old remains of 'Chatterbox' at The Waterfront mooring in Norwich has sunk, or been scuppered, along with a little plastic 'windy' nearby. I wonder why after so many years looking sad and unloved but afloat has 'Chatterbox' succumbed so suddenly?

Alan.

I believe it was the efforts from those who until recently lived there that kept her afloat, but since being forced away nobody is there to pump her out. Also nothing better than some unsightly sunken boats to help push through planning for development.

As said she has been sunk and raised a few times,such a shame we knew the owners many years ago and she was a lovely boat.how they get to that state is sad.she would have been pride of the fleet in her day if she was in hire.

I feel particularly sad about the sinking of Chatterbox, as with many 'boaty' people I have a deep affection for old boats, wooden boats in particular. They have soul and are redolent of real craftsmanship and steeped in memories of happy days. Sorry, getting all whimsical.

For some years I coveted Chatterbox, even in her latter bedraggled state, and bored Julia with my wish to buy and restore her. Unfortunately, being in the expensive and time consuming process of restoring another old 'woody' I secretly knew it wouldn't be. However, with the finishing of my current restoration and her re-launch in sight it will be with a new name... 'Chatterbox'. It's the least I can do!

Alan.

Apart from bieng sentimental , the onl y place that belongs is in several skips, which begs the question who,ll end up paying for it to be removed!!

Looks can be deceiving.

Ok, I haven't surveyed her, but it's perfectly possible that she's in restorable condition if anyone wanted to go to the time, trouble and expense of doing so. I've seen boats that were in far worse condition brought back to their former glory.

A bss ?? do you know a diving bss examiner?? :naughty::naughty:

seroiusly though if the boat could be saved it would be a treat to see it restored , but time and cost will be as said a major factor and when you've finished is it really a classic??

Well technically if I did a risk assessment and considered it safe to get on board, and I was able to see everything I needed to see in order to perform the examination, then there's no reason why she couldn't pass a BSS examination whilst sat on the bottom. Of course in practice it's unlikely that the first two requirements would be met (barring a very, very low tide).

As to the question of "is she a classic?" I'd suggest that she's got better lines than a lot of similar Broads cruisers from that era, and were she in good condition then she'd definitely look the part, so I'd be tempted to say that yes, she is a classic. Whether somebody with the money and the desire to own a 40' wooden Broads cruiser thinks so is another matter. Given that she probably needs a full interior refit, new engine, etc, then any decent restoration is going to be expensive, even if most of her hull is sound, which is possible (she certainly looks like she's still got the right shape in some of the pictures I've seen of her floating, which suggests the hull is not too far gone).

A classic is something not neccessarily old that is liked by at least one person. (Aston Martin Lagonda :shock: )

I think of boats like the Ocean 30 and Elysian 35 as 'Classic' as I love the lines,

I think Chatterbox is a nice looking boat but the smaller versions from Martham are not my cup of tea.

:wave hi all, i think it's a real shame about chatterbox, i don't think it's a case of whether it's a classic or not, but how someone feels about it, i always remember the old wooden boats from my childhood, & they made the broads feel more like the broads than the fibreglass boats, & i like the fact that there are still some wooden boats around, & people still love them & royal tudar is actually doing one up thats similar, & i think it's great, lets hope someone refloats het. lori :Stinky

:wave hi all, i think it's a real shame about chatterbox, i don't think it's a case of whether it's a classic or not, but how someone feels about it, i always remember the old wooden boats from my childhood, & they made the broads feel more like the broads than the fibreglass boats, & i like the fact that there are still some wooden boats around, & people still love them & royal tudar is actually doing one up thats similar, & i think it's great, lets hope someone refloats het. lori :Stinky

now look what you have done Lori. You have made me all nostalgic. My sentiments entirely. Like you they bring back special childhood memories. At the moment am moored up atGays staithe barbecue ing steak in the rain and Judith,I think, from the Martham fleet, just visited. That gave me a warm feeling. Would I buy one. No way would I let my heart rule my head at least I know our glass boat isn't going to spring a amk when I am not looking