Life Jackets

SueH

Having said that, I've never heard of anyone drowning through wearing one that didn't inflate, but the possibility, however remote, is still at the back of my mind.

Nor me Strow! Trouble is I believe in Sods law, perhaps that's why I carry spares of everything on my boat,

Frank,,,,

The self inflaters seem to now be de rigueur for private boaters with everyone strapping them on without a second thought.

And that can be nothing but a good thing. Anything that encourages the wearing of any lifejacket/buoyancy aid has to be good.

I always wore a buoyancy aid when dinghy sailing and kayaking, simply because you expect to get wet. The last thing you want is an auto-inflate going off mid gybe! :)

However, on our boat I would always wear an auto-inflate whether it be on the Broads or out at Sea. The shock of going into cold water (I fell in a couple of years back into 11 degree water) is quite debilitating and would much rather be righted and safe than have to swim for the few seconds it takes to regain ones senses. It's obviously down to personal choice, but whatever you wear, wear something. On that particular occasion I wasn't and it taught me a very powerful lesson.

• Like 3

And that can be nothing but a good thing. Anything that encourages the wearing of any lifejacket/buoyancy aid has to be good.

Yes indeed, many lives must have been saved by them, especially in cases where the saved wearer wouldn't have been wearing one at all if only the old bulky lifejackets were available.

I certainly always wear either a buoyancy aid or a lifejacket, depending on the situation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sue,

It would be the "arming" side of the issue that you would be testing. Rather like a safety match, these things cannot be tested. The bits that inflate your LJ are single use only.

All you can do is to ensure that you replace the inflation devices as per the instructions, which if I recall correctly is once every two or three years. I intend to stretch the point and as long as I can see no damage or corrosion, I shall replace when my BSS expires.

we bought a couple of self inflating life jackets from Compass a couple of years ago and on inspecting them i discovered the triggering devise has 02-14 on them  is this easily replaced or does it mean the gas cylinder needs replacing 02-14  or the whole unit  ?

In a post above, the poster says the bouyancy aids are "at least more convenient"

My personal point of view is, where life is at risk SAFETY MUST ALWAYS OVERIDE CONVENIENCE.

Regards to all ........................... Neil.

The full context of what I wrote was

"In the average Broads MOB scenario, that could well be safer, or at least more convenient."

...and yes, it sounds pretty stupid now that I read it back again, sorry about that, it must have been a senior moment....

I should have thought about it a bit more, and said 

"In the average Broads MOB scenario, that could well be safer, or at least more convenient with the same level of safety."