bridge clearance

Paulaj

Hi, just wanted to ask about potter heigham bridge.  We are visiting the broads for the second time soon and as we didn't visit the areas beyond potter heigham last time I would quite like to do so this time for a couple of nights.  We depart May 24th in Swan Light which is advertised as being able to pass under but having looked at the tide tables I'm concerned about getting back to continue our trip as low water will be at night.  I mainly want to know whether I should bother planning this into our trip or not.  We can't play it by ear as we're bringing two small children and possibly a young dog so need to plan ahead.  I understand there are many variables at play.

According to your post it sounds like you want a definite plan, Potter will never be a bridge you can guarantee unless your air draft is under 6ft, below 6ft 6in your in with a reasonable chance if you time it right, above 6ft 6in it's a gamble.

Far better to make a plan without including the area above the bridge or as Alan said go for a day boat.

Never a problem taking boats through in days gone by, as I said on other forum that class of boat can be as low as 6ft7" with all bits down. Pacific Dawn an example.

Oh for the days of Charlie Crowe he took you through with very little to spare. Think the yards have put pressure on the pilots and want good clearance now at all times.

Hi, Thanks everyone.

I did expect this would be the case but it's always best to ask.  I wish we'd gone through the last time but we chickened out and to be fair there was a lot for us to see anyway.

Thanks for your help.

If hiring Swan Light you will need a Plan B.  A Connoisseur - ex Le Boat Emperor or Admiral - would have increased your chances of getting under Potter bridge considerably.

The pilots are under no pressure whatsoever from any yard.  When Charlie Crowe was piloting the boats were narrower and lower and the hole a whole lot bigger. Passage clearance is tighter these days than even it was in my day.  Charlie and Ambrose also didn't have Health and Safety and video cameras to contend with. Some of the older readers of this forum will understand the nuances contained by comment.

Such a shame, we haven't been up to Hickling for a few years now, used to love mud weighting on the Broad.

Good idea from Alan about the day boat, might do that this year myself, how long would it take to cruise to the pub up there have lunch and cruise back in time to hand the day boat back? Just wondering if we would need the day boat for a whole day or just an afternoon,  As said It's been a few years so can't remember the distance.

Grace