Swimming in the Broads?

Janice

Hi Janice - as far as i am aware it is only sailing boats that do not have tanks - not sure if you have ever looked at or been in a Broads sailing cruiser - if you had you would see the problem instantly!!! Quite literally there is not room to fit one, perhaps other than the size of a bucket!!

At the same time I would not want to be in a sailing boat with a chemical loo - the thought of chemical liquid at loose is a far worse thought.

As others have pointed out, it is no really an issue given the tiny number of sailing boats around.

Others have commented on the colour of the water and this has nothing to do with what is in the water directly as it is algae growth - or rather it is and it is phosphates put in by everyone with there "gray" water from sinks and showers on boats and farmers and the rest of the community at large.

Come to the Broads later in the year and the waters are much clearer and this is as a result of algae growth dying as the water temperature cools - I have actually seen the bottom of the Ant at times!!

Despite what is said and feared, I really doubt you would catch a lot in the rivers although far be it for me to encourage it - it is defo much cleaner than 40 years ago without a doubt.

I looked on Broads Authority web site, they stated that

"clear water now only occurs in about five of the 63 broads so, as part of the Water Quality Partnership with the Environment Agency, Natural England, and other scientists and wetland experts, we are seeking practical ways of repairing years of ecological decline.

There is potential for recovery back to clearer water conditions using certain restoration techniques like removing the small fish that eat beneficial water fleas."

Broads restoration techniques:

Phosphorus control – removing the harmful nutrient phosphorous from treated sewage

Suction dredging – removing nutrient-rich mud from the bottom of rivers and lakes like Barton Broad, the largest broad to have been dredged in this way.

Biomanipulation by removing the fish which eat water fleas, giving the water fleas a chance to graze algae and clear the water.

Reduction of nutrients from agricultural sources through environmentally sensitive farming practices

Educating boat users about environmentally friendly boating."

-------------------------------------------------------------

The BA mentioned a project called 'Green Blue' which is in place to help improve our waterways. http://www.thegreenblue.org.uk/boat_users/sewage_and_waste.aspx

They said:

"Sewage

Untreated sewage from boats can spread gastroenteritis; contaminate shell fish beds and mussel ropes and use up vital oxygen in the water. Human waste also contains phosphorous and nitrogen which increase the levels of algae and reduce water clarity. Chemicals such as chlorine, formaldehyde, ammonium and zinc compounds used as disinfectants, breakdown and deodorise waste are toxic to marine life.

Discharge of boat sewage to coastal waters is regulated under MARPOL Annex 4 and whilst this only applies to recreational craft carrying 15 or more passengers, you only need 3 boats (with 5 crew in each) in a rally to cause a similar amount of damage. So it is certainly worth considering using your holding tank when out and about.

Sewage discharge from vessels in rivers, canals and lakes is regulated by many authorities and byelaws and although there may be varying local byelaws it is generally prudent to assume that discharges are not permitted.

Since 2006 the Recreational Craft Directive, applied to newly built vessels, has required provision to be made for a holding tank to be fitted. If buying a new boat consider having the holding tank installed by the manufacturer."

----------------------------

I have only scraped the surface so there is probably a lot more information that considers the different types of boats and what is actually possible. It says that the laws may vary with the local Bylaws.

I was just thinking (dangerous!), reading all that stuff has made me more aware, I feel a bit guilty now about using washing up liquid that is not environmentally friendly but we were not aware - but are now  :roll: ....   As said on the Surcal thread we don't wash ha ha, so we are not polluting via the shower lol.

Its good to understand what the BA are doing though.

Am not on a crusade, by the way, just asked the question about swimming in the water to retrieve lost items that sunk to the bottom :pirate  lost treasure lol.

Defo don't want to fall in but I suppose that will happen at some point as I am very clumsy just need to remember to keep my mouth closed (difficult), don't want to drink the water  cheers

Jan

Reading this topic has certainly concentrated my mind.  I have now placed an order for 'environmentally friendly' washing liquid which I will keep just for our trips in MS.

As Janice mentioned, not something I have thought about in the past.

SueH

Hi Sue,

We have been doing this a few years on Ranworth Breeze, starting off the season with the correct supplies including the cheap two ply toilet paper to prevent blockages.

Every time we visit the boat we remove any contraband, such as the washing up liquid, toilet bleach (if used could be dangerous when mixed with the blue loo fluid), soft 3 ply toilet paper as already stated, kitchen cleaner etc containing bleach.

If all the boats did likewise then think how much better the Broads rivers would be. After saying that it is difficult to keep all of our owners towing the line.

Regards

Alan

Hi JTF,

They sell the Eco washing up liquid in Roys or Morrisons.

Tan tells it is available everywhere, ask me about nuts, bolts etc then I am fine.

I am like the kid in the old washing powder advert reading the instructions I would get it all over the place, but fit a new seal to the door or replace the drum bearing on the machine I am your man.

Regards

Alan

Hi Janice - that is all absolutely right and you should use Eco friendly washing up liquid etc but as I mentioned earlier, its a tiny drop in the ocean compared with what goes in in the form of nutrient rich run off from farmers applying fertiliser and phosphate rich effluent from the very many local sewerage works. There is for example  a commitment by Anglian Water to put in phosphate scrubbers to remove the washing up liquid and shower gel from all those landlubbers who have never heard of the Broads living locally but I think its years behind schedule.

If you have ever wondered what all those barriers are around Barton ,they are fish barriers to keep fish OUT of those lagoons to allow the plants to grow but it is a huge job and very difficult to manage and think also that of those Broads  - 58 was it? - many are landlocked and are often worse than  those attached to rivers. The BA have literally loads of information and call in at their lovely offices and you could leave laden down with report after report on such issues!!! But believe me there is an improvement but they are still nibbling away at a mountain - despite the fears of many conservation does not take more than its fair share of the overall budget but you are beginning to see the magnitude of their problem in balancing the various competing issues - and no, I do not work for them and never have !!!!

It sounds like every little bit helps.

New to the Broads - we were not aware, the BA have lots of info on their website but unless you look there you won't see it, new boat owners could go on for ages being unaware. Holiday makers, the same how can they take care if they are unaware?

Not sure how that is solved.

We may never have known about the water if it weren't for accidentally dropping something in the water and wondering if it's safe to dive down to retrieve it.