flooding and the broads

Mr C

Hi Chris,

At the moment it is not too much of an issue apart  from a number of roads under bridges that have been flooded and the usual roads that are prone to flooding, reports have been on the local news.

When we used to be moored at Ferry Marine wellington boots were part of our boat kit and the service roads at Brundall can be flooded but we are on floating pontoon finger mooring.

If you go past the Reedcutter at Cantley look for the flood level signs on the upper story wall (I think it says 2010 or was it 2009).

Water in the rivers effects the passage of the bridges which normal clearance at high water is less so may effect boats with tight air drafts passing through Wroxham, Potter Heigham  and Ludham.

The usual boat kit of hot waterbottles, thermals, waterproofs, plenty of shoes, jumpers, shorts, tee shits and sun cream always applies, it is "sods law" if leave out any you will need them. :naughty:

What ever the weather is doing, your on a boat enjoy it.

Regards

Alan

Just been reading about the floods in norfolk at the moment, what effect does this have on the broads, and being able to use them

As others have replied, the news reports are just of flash floods on land, where drainage can't clear it quickly.

There's very little effect on the rivers yesterday and today, because the Broads area is more affected by sea level surges than rainwater drainage.

The EA gauges show the (almost) real-time situation very accurately online, like the one near Potter at Repps, which is currently showing 0.42 metres, which is just below average, despite more than 24 hours of continuous rain there.

http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/river-and-sea-levels/riverstation.aspx?StationId=6217&RegionId=1&AreaId=2&CatchmentId=5

Hi,is there a reading at Reps that would give an indication of Potter Bridge height say 6 ft 8 ins what would the Repps reading be ,if that is possible,or is it to far from the bridge for that to be applicable ? Roy

Hi,is there a reading at Reps that would give an indication of Potter Bridge height say 6 ft 8 ins what would the Repps reading be ,if that is possible,or is it to far from the bridge for that to be applicable ? Roy

Yes, i you subtract the EA's Repp's gauge reading from the fixed constant of 2.335 metres, you get  the current height showing on the bridge height gauges, (not the one in the Pilot's office).

post-195-0-23729700-1401273452_thumb.jpg

Yes, i you subtract the EA's Repp's gauge reading from the fixed constant of 2.335 metres, you get  the current height showing on the bridge height gauges, (not the one in the Pilot's office).

Your two posts above (5 & 7) are amongst the most informative I've ever seen and will be lodged in my laptop's memory for all time!  :bow :bow :bow

No more wondering if we'll get under bridges or not! :clap :clap :clap

Hi Strow.......

Just a quick one on the screen shot you did....

Those measurements do not add up to me..... 1" when I was at school was not 0.025mm.......

Would it be worth contacting the site to tell them that their imperial and metric measurements are a little off.

:Stinky

Your two posts above (5 & 7) are amongst the most informative I've ever seen and will be lodged in my laptop's memory for all time!  :bow :bow :bow

No more wondering if we'll get under bridges or not! :clap :clap :clap

Thanks for the feedback John, and I'm glad you found it useful.

Hi Strow.......

Just a quick one on the screen shot you did....

Those measurements do not add up to me..... 1" when I was at school was not 0.025mm.......

Would it be worth contacting the site to tell them that their imperial and metric measurements are a little off.

Which "site" ?  the "25mm = 1""  was my own annotation, to give an approximate guide.....

I thought it would be easier to visualise than 25.4mm ......

Blast !! :???:  I must be going blind.

The penny has at last dropped for me now.

At least my other calculations are not out by a factor of one thousand....

Thanks DonnyG, V2 now attached.

post-195-0-82194900-1401296629_thumb.jpg

Blast !! :???: I must be going blind.

The penny has at last dropped for me now.

At least my other calculations are not out by a factor of one thousand....

Thanks DonnyG, V2 now attached.

Hi Strow,

V2 now printed off and put with holiday boating stuff.

Great piece of info.....

Thanks