Fuel Consumption

Hockham Admiral

Absolutely, finny.

During the Winter months (well, Autumn & Spring as well) we can easily double our fuel consumption. Our 5kW heater can use up to 0.5L/H if it's really cold outside.

It doesn't help that we have an electrics-only boat with a 10kW genny to power it, unless we can plug into leccy.

(which is probably another reason that we like to keep our motive-motor's appetite down!).  :naughty:

• Like 1

I would have thought it best to fill up at Goodchilds on your return leg, as they were reported as being the cheapest on the broads. Then when you get back to Brooms, just fill up a gallon or so.

Incidentally Matt, we`re on Lightning for the first time in October (18-25th), will you be aboard then?.

Broom is £1.20 and Goodchilds was a bit of the way so I would probably have used more getting there than we would have saved.

I have had my 2 allocated weeks this year so that's me done until Easter.

I'd better not mention that we're just back from our 2 week holiday and did 350 nautical miles averaging about 1.4 mpg then lol! At cruising speed we were using between 61-76 litres per hour! The cheapest fuel we found was at Burnham yacht harbour £1.12 a litre!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

having filled up yesterday at boulters was well surprised, last time out we were across to norwich down to oulton broad ,back to potter and then home to stalham,  plus return to horning yesterday, 47.7 litres for approx 30 hr cruising against the tide to acle coming back and a few extra revs crossing breydon both ways. works out at just over 1.5 ltr per hour for a 1500cc BMC diesel

well pleased with the result

• Like 1

Yes Leo, safety and reduction of wash damage, that's all I can think they're for too.

I don't see radar guns so much a case of "ease for prosecution", but more for "ability to prosecute".

I think your confidence in the effect of Rangers "shouting at" some of the speeders is a little optimistic ! :)

The shouting bit worked on me in Oulton Dyke back in '64

were using between 61-76 litres per hour! 

Blimey what were in a jet engine.       That is nearly £80 a hour.     Surely not.

I'm afraid it's perfectly possible Hylander.

Planing speeds in large, heavy boats demand so much more power.

A typical 40ft semi-displacement hulled sports cruiser doing 20mph plus is an impressive sight for some, but down in the engine bay the twin diesels are usually around 200hp and up, and are running pretty fast to lift the several tons onto the surface and plane.

In "old money" the yardstick was indeed "gallons per hour", rather than hours per gallon.

When the tax advantage of red diesel was lost and it tripled in price, it suddenly increased the fuel cost of a weekend trip along the coast by hundreds of pounds.

were using between 61-76 litres per hour! 

Blimey what were in a jet engine.       That is nearly £80 a hour.     Surely not.

How about this, then? Taken from http://www.inautia.com/used-boat-79339060102956535269525152534548.html

Electricity/ Motor Sealine 420 Statesman

Engine: 2 x Volvo Penta TAMD63P,

Engine Hours: 700,

Fuel consumption(app)114 ltr/hour,