Support the RNLI

SweetKingfisher1

Come rain or shine, well today Ian and I helped and supported our local RNLI. They were at a bank holiday Horse Show & Family Fun Day. We were helping to collect donations, with their little white buckets from the pubic on entrance to the car park. 

The shame was it was raining not just a little, so it was a poor turn out. Still enjoyed meeting up with the guys from Gravesend RNLI and other who support them.

RNLI are out there for all of us and once again I was asked the same old question " Do you wear your life jacket " :clap .

Regards

Marina   :Stinky

• Like 3

Hi Marina, I used to live in Gravesend years ago, then in Northfleet.

I ALWAYS support the RNLI every month by direct debit. I think my monthly donation is about £13, give or take a few pence, and am more than happy to do so, and have done so for quite a few years now.

What will £13 a month buy an average person?, not even one pint of beer a week, not even one good meal in a pub, but ask some people that can afford to eat out most nights to do the same, and they`ll turn away. Even when we go to pubs on the Broads, i always put something in the lifeboats on the bar.

I don`t think there can be ANY other VOLUNTARY service that are primarily for saving lives while risking their own. One incident where a whole crew made the ultimate sacrifice was the Penlee lifeboat crew. In impossible conditions, they went to the rescue of a crew, knowing there was a very severe risk they may not be coming back, but still they went.

I`l ALWAYS support the RNLI, and think EVERYBODY should make SOME kind of donation, as you never know if or when you`ll need them.

• Like 1

Ssssh Marina - there are a lot of locals who would NEVER list the RSPB in with the RNLI!!! 

You have to remember that charities such as the Wildlife Trusts and the RSPB are big landowners locally and there are many, including me at times, who are extremely critical of some of their policies and how they operate in conjunction with other local bodies such as the BA.

The principle is sound but they can be seemingly very obstructive on some issues which can make them unpopular locally :)

• Like 1

We had a Arun Class boat, now a Trent Class.The crew today still preferred the Arun one. They take a lot to run, even when tied to the quayside. Thankfully here, (Troon) they get their fuel for practice at cost. I don't know if any of you have been to Poole and seen the size of their Headquarters, I was gobsmacked how big the operation was.

I come from RNLI stock in a roundabout way, the Moelfre RNLI station on Anglesey was connected to my mothers side of the family years ago.

Here, I am friendly with the ex Coxwain.

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

We had a Arun Class boat, now a Trent Class.The crew today still preferred the Arun one. They take a lot to run, even when tied to the quayside. Thankfully here, (Troon) they get their fuel for practice at cost. I don't know if any of you have been to Poole and seen the size of their Headquarters, I was gobsmacked how big the operation was.

I come from RNLI stock in a roundabout way, the Moelfre RNLI station on Anglesey was connected to my mothers side of the family years ago.

Here, I am friendly with the ex Coxwain.

cheers Iain.

Yep, it mcertainly IS a big place, we go by sometimes, as we live not far from there. They also have a decent restaurant in there(or so i`ve been told), which i believe is open to the public. Karen and i keep threatening to go in and have a meal, but we never seem to remember to do it :oops: :oops: . It must be an age thing?. :D

• Like 1

It is possible to book rooms at the RNLI collage and the Riggers restaurant is open to the public, but booking is advisable as it does get busy. The idea is that collage is self financing through the hotel, restaurant plus corporate use of the facilities so the cost of accommodation / food for trainee crews is covered from the income. I think there is still someway to go but i believe it's moving in the right direction.

Bob    

• Like 1