Topless - Sutton Mill

ranworthbreeze

• 3 weeks later...

I was riding around Hickling last week and I noticed some work going on at Sutton Mill.

It's apparently repairs from last Winter's storms.

The photo's a bit grainy, but not bad from about a mile away, handheld.  :)

post-195-0-95069600-1410001969_thumb.jpg

post-195-0-85195000-1410001988_thumb.jpg

Thanks for moving it for me Alan, sorry, I hadn't noticed your original thread on the same subject.

What lens were you using on the second pic, Strow?

It was my "carry around" camera, just a bridge slr, a Fuji HS50EXR.

The non-interchangeable lens is 24 to 1000mm equivalent.

I have a Canon 500D and a 5D as well, but the Fuji gets used the most because the picture quality is very nearly as good, and it takes 1080p video as well, with through the lens viewfinder. (The Canon DSLRs blank out when the mirror flips up).

The close-up of the mill cap was at 42x from 1 mile away, with a fair amount of heat haze. It gives much better resolution when the subject is closer, even at max zoom.

post-195-0-74531400-1410012473_thumb.jpg

Hi Strow, is that the Fuji in the picture< and can you still get them now, or have they been superseded by something else?. Also, how much are they, and are they heavy?.

Yes Neil, that's the HS50EXR.

I bought it about 18 months ago when they first came out for £415.

I expect they're still available now, and quite reduced, because there probably is a newer "improved" model.

I already have the Canon DSLRs and a drawer full of lenses, so my reason for going back to a bridge camera was to use it primarily as a video camera.

It probably sounds daft, but it's the cheapest way to get full genuine 1080p at 60fps with a through the lens viewfinder. The problem with genuine DSLRs is that the optical viewfinder blanks out for video because of the mirror popping up, so you're left with the lcd screen on the back to monitor the shot.

Anyhow, after I bought it, I found that the results for general day to day stills shooting were very nearly as good as the Canons, so the convenience of the built in 42x lens going up to 1000mm equivalent outweighs the very slight reduction in image quality.

For closer shots, the difference is hardly noticeable, as this completely unedited shot shows, with an inset of the actual 1 to 1 pixels.

The camera is the same size and weight as the Canon 500D and much lighter than the 5D. It's just the right size and shape to grip and control, unlike compacts.

So I now carry a small, very lightweight bag around, able to photo or video almost anything, with no frantic lens changes.

Bridge cameras are still scorned by many DSLR purists, but technology keeps marching on, and they've improved immeasurably since some people's first opinions may have been formed.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_hs50exr/

post-195-0-10203300-1410073345_thumb.jpg

Sorry for being thick, but what is a bridge camera?

(Oh and I'm so tempted to ask if I can buy one at Lathams)

I shudder to think what sort of Bridge camera Lathams might ever stock ! :)

It's not a thick question, the term "Bridge" is very abstract in this case, meaning that they are a "Bridge" between compact cameras and full function digital single lens reflex cameras.

The essential difference is that they don't usually have interchangeable lenses, and that they don't have "optical" through the lens viewfinders.

DSLRs, and the older film SLRs are like inverted periscopes, where the viewfinder actually looks through the lens, via a prism and mirror. When you take a still photo, the mirror flips up and down quickly, to allow the photo to be taken by the film or digital sensor behind the mirror.

Bridge cameras don't have the prism or the mirror, but use a miniature lcd screen inside the camera as a viewfinder, showing the same image as the big lcd screen on the back. That way you get the hybrid benefit of seeing the actual digital preview of what is being shot rather than a purely optical view where your eye is able to compensate for low light etc..

I find an eye level viewfinder to be indispensable when taking stills or video, because you can monitor the image much more clearly in bright sunlight, and you can hold the camera much more steadily close to your face without having to extend your arms.