Remember the Coypu?

JennyMorgan

http://www.edp24.co.uk/lifestyle/when_the_coypu_was_public_enemy_no_1_in_norfolk_1_3794896

One winter, early 60's, was a real freezer, Oulton Broad iced up until March. Back then we got ten bob for each pair of Coypu front gnashers that we handed in. Poor old Coypu had to cross the ice to get from A to B and that is when we got them, skating faster than they could run. We also set traps, all very profitable.

John, it was how it was back then. We did finish them off with humane killers/pistols. A coypu froze when cornered so shooting was easy. Would I do it now? I doubt it.

Dave, we supplied either bodies or gnashers to an official trapper, actually I don't recollect handing over anything other than a body for him to deal with. I too had heard it was tails but maybe he sold on 'both ends' and made double the money! Actually I doubt that, he was a licensed trapper. 

A relation of mine used to make sausages out of coypu during WWII and continued doing so well into the 50's. Don't think that I ever eat one though, I hope! 

Whether it was necessary or not I'm not convinced. The sometimes extensive damage to banks by their burrowing was pretty amazing but beyond that I never saw any impact. 

John, it was how it was back then. We did finish them off with humane killers/pistols. A coypu froze when cornered so shooting was easy. Would I do it now? I doubt it.

Whether it was necessary or not I'm not convinced. The sometimes extensive damage to banks by their burrowing was pretty amazing but beyond that I never saw any impact. 

I wasn't criticising, Peter.

Where I live in Norfolk is intensely agricultural and the local pub is the meeting place for most of our local pheasant and rough shoots. We also have a deer stalking company which culls the deer population around here. (Peeps pay lots of money to crawl around in the undergrowth in the pre-dawn hours to shoot a deer).

Two gamekeepers and several locals have ferrets, polecats, shotguns and rifles to keerp the rabbit/fox/why populations under control; it's just the way it is in the countryside.

It's interesting that the EDP report and contributors so far do not mention the potential impact of non-indigenous species on native ecosystems (apart from the Ted Ellis quote about plant life). In the Carmargue, another low lying wetland, they gave up on eradication. So if you are fond of them pop over and have a look, they are difficult to miss.

• Like 1

All this talk about wild animals etc... word of warning, do not hit a pheasant at 60mph, it cost me then over £1000 garage/coachworks bill for a new bumper and grill a few years back. So keep the pheasant population down I say  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

All this talk about wild animals etc... word of warning, do not hit a pheasant at 60mph, it cost me then over £1000 garage/coachworks bill for a new bumper and grill a few years back. So keep the pheasant population down I say  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Iain, annoying I agree, but hardly a 'wild animal'. Perhaps you should have tried to find out the person responsible for rearing it with the aim of being shot by sports men and women. But then again they might have tried to sue you for their loss of income.

Did egyptian geese escape from human captivity or did they migrate here and just stay? If the later then they are as natural as anything else around and nature always pushes somethings out in favour of a stronger competitor, if the former do they taste like chicken and can I have one with all the trimmings?

• Like 1

Iain, annoying I agree, but hardly a 'wild animal'. Perhaps you should have tried to find out the person responsible for rearing it with the aim of being shot by sports men and women. But then again they might have tried to sue you for their loss of income.

Point taken Samuel, but they do have a habit of roaming "wild" on our main roads up here. Not a shooting area, as such either.

cheers Iain

Did egyptian geese escape from human captivity or did they migrate here and just stay?

As far as I'm aware, they are a non-indigenous, introduced species first brought to this country way back in the 17th or 18th century. In general, they are a non-migratory species.:)