Trafalgar Day

Timbo

Two hundred and nine years ago today marks the death of Nelson at Trafalgar, thanks to the Broads Museum for reminding me. After his death Nelson's body was pickled in a barrel of brandy to keep it fresh...now that reminds me of another famous ' lordly' Broads boater...don't you think MM?  :naughty:

• Like 1

Ah, but do you know why Nelson won at Trafalgar?  It's all because his message to the crews of his fleet was so much more inspirational that that offered by the French admiral.  Nelson, as we're all aware, signalled "England expects that every man will do his duty".  The French admiral signalled "To the water, it is the hour".  Doesn't feel as strong does it?  Perhaps better in the original French? "A l'eau, c'est l'heure".

nb ... try saying that in an 'Allo, Allo' faux French accent :)

• Like 2

Iain and Timbo, the men in my life are away for the weekend and I will be having a girls night in.....lots of wine will be consumed, don't know about Nelson being pickled in a barrel of brandy but I will certainly be pickled in my lounge, so be afraid, very afraid  two guns

• Like 2

We visited 'The Victory' last week, and were told the story of Nelson's return (or at least his body). Apparently when it was returned to 'Blighty, the lid was taken off the barrel. Well, sailors being sailors, they couldn't resist a tasting of the 'preservative'.

It was declared to be very good, possessing of plenty of body.......

I'll get me coat...

• Like 3