Cheap GPS/Plotter

ChrisB

Whilst looking for some more reading matter for her “E” reader my wife remarked “What are these Tesco books?) I said that they had their equivalent of a Kindle and googled it up to find that they had just launched a new Android device called Hudl2.

I was scrolling down the spec of this cheap £129 unit and was surprised to see that not only was it GPS enabled but also had the Russian Glonass navigation system chip built in.

I have been thinking of replacing my Lowrance GPS for some time as it is now 9 years old and the mapping is no longer supported so ordered a Hudl2 for free delivery next day to my local store. On receipt I down loaded the Viewranger App (free) and the 1:25000 OS explorer of the Norfolk Broads £11.

Yesterday I tried it out on the boat and it worked brilliantly.

A clear acrylic book stand (under £5 Amazon) and a waterproof case (£4 Ebay) and there you have it a 8.9 inch plotter for £150.

Regards,

Chris.

• Like 2

Mrs W is I'm afraid somewhat of a luddite. Technology has left her far behind. Good at ironing and stuff,struggles with the television set.

So I bought her an iPad for Christmas.

Like giving a cow a strawberry.

So, I got to use it quite a bit.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!

Anyway, unbeknown to me, eldest grandson, wussername major, was surreptitiously teaching grandma how to use it.

Now I don't get a look in.

So, I decided to buy a new iPad. Regretfully let's give Grandad Wussernames pension another whack has taken it,s toll.

All I could afford was a Hudl 2.

£129 out of my meagre pittance.

But. What a super bit of kit. Do have a look. You will not be disappointed. Really good value for the money.

'

Chris,

Looks good and I have heard good things about these.

I think the iPhone 5 and 6 have GPS chips in them (although a lot more expensive than a Hudl), but if you have one already may as well use it. Some Androids also have this feature.

I use a free speed App on my iPhone to keep myself under the speed limits as it saves running the GPS/plotter onboard and the paddle speed indicator is a bit out at low speeds - although not needed a GPS on the broads yet  cheersbar

For others, you can also use your sat nav if you have one - again will tell you your speed and show any roads - maybe not as good as the one Chris has, but free if you already have one in the car.

In fact I think it is a good idea to use these speed Apps as relying on the revs vs speed plaque on board hire boats can result in you going over the speed limit depending on wind and tide. Maybe the newer hire boats have more accurate speed indicators to what I have been used to.

Chris.. you may want to try the "Navtronics" app.. it's a marine chart instead of an OS map.. although for the broads I understand it just shows a blue line :( (It's a little expensive at around 20 quid). cheers

(Looks like you have some lovely weather there.. very envious!)

.......All I could afford was a Hudl 2.

£129 out of my meagre pittance.

But. What a super bit of kit. Do have a look. You will not be disappointed. Really good value for the money.'

Apple products may be perceived as being superior to everything else, and they are indeed very well made, but when it comes down to hard facts, android  tablets can be just as fast and even more versatile.

Ipads will always retain their snob value because they're so expensive, but Android has a far larger overall market share, and can be every bit as nice to use. 

I have a 10" full HD unbranded tablet with dual core, GPS, 32gb storage and 2gb memory, 2 USB slots and mini HDMI slot, and it was £180, brand new.

The screen seems as good as the Ipads I've seen, and it's far more versatile and interconnect-able.

Ok someone enlighten me here! why would you need GPS on the Broads?? it's not like you can get lost or anything, am I missing something here?

For distances and travel time, I've printed off the chart on here I think! not that I ever use it, I get there when I get there, for speed I more of less use my Revs as a guide, but more so the wash I'm making, if it's much more than a ripple i'll slow down, just to prove I'm not still in the dark ages, I have a speed app on my Samsung but I only ever use that to check my speed on the main rivers, Wind and Tide you know!, personally I think Apple products are over rated, my Samsung Tab 2 does everything and more and most of it's free, Judi has the Apple iPad and one she bought from Argos for about £60 and guess what thats the one she uses most, I have loads of free Apps on mine but when I went on her Apple they charged for the same Apps, Judi's £60 one is a little bit slower and the graphics arn't quite as good, but for day to day use it does what it says on the box, so why pay £200 to £400 for something that you'll probably only use 10% of,

Frank,,,,

• Like 1

Just in case my post was misinterpreted I was not promoting Apple products and agree other products are out there that are far cheaper and just as good. I just happen to have fallen into the Apple trap. 

ps I don't work for Apple or Google or any other brand of techno kit.

I use GPS to check my log as I find I need to re-calibrate about three times a year. Most people seen to use a 1:25000 OS explorer  for general interest purposes, putting it on a decent sized screen is just a bit more convenient. 

And if you are in the market for a little Hudl, having just been to the well know supermarket with a cash flow problem at the moment for my lunch, I see the Hudl is on their Clubcard Boost scheme so if your going to buy one use those vouchers and get it even cheaper.

Don't work for the supermarket either.

• Like 1

Mark! it was just a general comment as Apple was mentioned, mention anything new to my daughter or grandkids and if it says Apple they have to have it, I'm not saying they are no good because I know they are, I just don't like the way nearly everything on the IPods/Pads has to go through Apple, I like the Freedom my Samsung gives me, 

Chris! I was just curious to why anyone would need GPS, the boat I've just bought has a Raymarine thing that gives depth and speed, havn't a clue how it works all I know is the speed thing must be gunked up as it won't show speed, for both units it says you have to calibrate it, and that the paddle wheel can be changed in situ, be just my luck to get the top off and the blanking cap won't go on and I'll sink the boat. I'll have a look when the boat comes out for a polish, I doub't even I can sink on dry land,,

Frank,,,,

To be honest Mark I've managed the last thirty years without it so I'm not that bothered, I used to check my speed with an old E/trek but it died, someone said that you can use a cheap gps cycle computer thing as well, but I'm never in a rush anyway so mainly watch my wash,,

Frank,,,,

I couldn't resist for £4! (I cashed in my clubcard vouchers before tesco go bust.. (They are doing a double the vouchers at the moment!)) ... I've brought for a number of reasons not only for a plotter although I'll put navironics on it and see what its like ... looks good though... cheers

post-28066-0-98761200-1414785389_thumb.j

When my son was a student (software) he would always run down Apple and my iPad. He would always talk up Andriod. Now that he is working he and his wife both have iPad and iPhones.

I started off with Apple and could never get used to Android. Horses for courses I suppose.

I quite agree that all Apple products are very attractively designed and work well.

There's a really big difference in the marketing which most people are unaware of, namely that virtually only Apple manufactured hardware can run the Apple operating systems and programs, so it's a "closed shop", in other words no other manufacturer in the world can supply computers or tablets running that software. That's why it's more expensive, no direct competition.

On the other hand, all other PCs have abided by IBM's original hardware concept, which was cloned by other manufacturers as soon as it became popular. There has therefore always been intense competition price wise for the hardware, and more importantly the peripherals. It's undoubtedly the main reason why computer hardware keeps getting cheaper and better, almost exponentially.

Microsoft independently created the DOS operating system and then Windows, copying the original Apple Mac concept.

So we now live in a world dominated by PC clone hardware, and Microsoft Windows.

The funny thing is, the Linux operating system came along after Microsoft dominated the world, and it is just as good, and it's completely free, unlike Windows.

Android was developed from it for Tablets, to compete with Apple, and it is also free, and just as good, maybe better.

I thought IBM created dos and microsoft improved/marketed ms-dos, happy to be corrected.

I'm going to slip into Anorak mode now ! :)

When IBM created the PC hardware, they wanted Digital Research to write the new operating system for it, because they had written the previous most successful personal computer OS, which was known as "CPM".

Unfortunately for them, their CEO, Gary Kildall, was out flying his plane at the time, so they lost patience with him, and commissioned an unknown bloke called Bill Gates to write it instead, who called it MsDos, and founded a company called Microsoft, which had done rather well.

Gary Kildall then wrote PcDos for the IBM PC, which was actually better, but he couldn't catch up with Microsoft's sales.

It must rank as the biggest lost opportunity in the history of computers. :)