How far would you go?

riyadhcrew

Hi All,

Well, it turned out to be 1182km and it took 11 hours driving. Not a difficult drive, but very boring. I think we saw every different breed and colour of camel there is in the world and enough sand to fill the Med. Now going to take the girls to the ski slope inside the shopping mall and then it's off for a beer or 2. 

As I've said before, 95oct petrol in Saudi is 9p per litre, in UAE it is 27p per litre. Will let you know about the beer later.

• Like 2

Just came back from the Emirates Mall and had a couple of pints of Stella (that was as good as I could get in the Kempinski Hotel). It was cold and clear and the cost was 13 pounds a pint. My wife had simple house white wine which was 10 pounds for a normal glass. Roll on March to get back on the broads and make profit. lol. :bow  :bow

• Like 4

No Sympathy I am afraid.

I know someone will do the maths (and not being a yank I have always spelt it this way) to work out how many pints you need to drink vs the cost of fuel for the return trip before you break even to a comparable UK trip and beer binge.

I think you may need to drink more Stella (although mentioning Stella has now put you on the "not to be spoken to" list) cheersbar

I am jealous because I have been on strong pain killers all week with a back problem and after a crappy week at work could do with a beer. :cry  :cry  :cry

Have a great weekend.

• Like 1

post-30159-0-31783700-1416317181_thumb.jpost-30159-0-05242900-1416317223_thumb.jHello All,

Well, got back to Riyadh safely last night. I got back an hour quicker than it took me to go, albeit that I had to stop and fill the fuel tank an extra time. On the way there, I spent most of the time on cruise control at 140kph (84mph), as the roads are more or less straight and empty from Riyadh to the UAE border. On the way back after entering Saudi from the UAE, I decided to wind it up a little and I set the cruise at 160kph (100mph). I know it sounds fast, but believe me the roads were empty and I was able to keep this up for an hour and 45 minutes non stop. The only downside to this was watching the fuel guage go down. I used 50 litres more for the same distance coming back.

Dubai is worth a visit, but be aware - IT IS NOT CHEAP!!! Hotels and clubs are the only place you can legally buy alchohol and they charge what they feel they can get away with. My wife and I went to a Roberto Cavali night club on Saturday and single shot drinks were 20 pounds each. Needless to say that we didn't stay long. On the other hand, there is a huge Irish pub which is known as the Irish Village and the prices are acceptable. I drank enough Kilkenny to put their shares up a few percent. The food was 'pub grub' and very good.

I will attach a couple of pics, one of the Dubai skyline at night and one of the local beggars at a petrol station.

• Like 1