Broads Tourism

JennyMorgan

The problem with the architectural heritage of the Broads, barring to an extent the medieval, is that it's location and functionality make it temporary. Professionally speaking Norfolk is one of the more enlightened counties having close ties between academic, resource, heritage and the amateur. Other areas are not so lucky. For example in my home town of Gainsborough lies this structure.

goh-sunny.jpg

DSC08939%20copy.jpg

gainsborough-old-hall.jpg

Believe it or not but the Old Hall was at one time destined for demolition to make...a car park.

Colleagues of mine often shake their head at me when I compare the ramshackle collection of sheds at Herbert Woods at Potter with the Old Hall in Gainsborough. Both, to me at least, have significant historical value, the sheds at Herbert Woods probably more so. Anyone ever been to Beamish Museum?  Where they and the Old Hall try to recreate history, the Old Hall still has its medieval kitchens intact, the sheds at Herbert Woods are still being used within context for their historical purpose.

I have no problem with riverside development but as an archaeologist and historian I would prefer to see it within context. The London skyline is something so far out of context I surmise it is part of a drinking game amongst architects all competing to erect the most ridiculous.

• Like 2

I agree that some holiday homes are abortions, witness one or two of the newer developments in the Brundall area. Holiday homes do bring cash into the area, welcome, but in doing so what folk come here to experience and enjoy is sometimes, or even often, spoilt or destroyed. As far as Wroxham is concerned there is good and bad in abundance, perhaps too much so. On balance I think that Labrador has a valid concern. There can be attractive holiday homes, but do they have to be at the cost of working boatyards?

Oi, hands off the Shard! It's a stunning building by any standards. Not so sure about the 'Pineapple' though. Does architecture and development always have to relate to income? Surely there is room for vanity & aesthetics over dosh in our cities?

Cramming Wroxham's riverbank with holiday homes to maximise income per square millimeter really shouldn't be the B all and end all of life, should it?

• Like 1

Labrador - its strange how some have poor memories - I recall when a well known boatyard wanted to move to the rivers edge there was a long forum based debate, including some posters here, who said it would spoil the view and should not be allowed!!

You should also be aware that much of the redevelopment of the riverside in Wroxham took place a long time before the BA even existed. Part of their existing planning policy I believe is that riverside development of existing yards is supposed to leave at least a working yard on the site - the trouble is in a contracting industry thats often easier said than done! Its a bit like asking a farm owner to provide cottages for agricultural workers when he has not got any!!!