Keep turning left - Free to view

JawsOrca

Someone from my yacht club posted this on the clubs forum (the person isn't in the video). It's a series of video diaries following the chap sailing around the UK. Something which I hope to do someday. I've just watched a couple (day off!) and seem really interesting and well made. We had a sailing boat for a bit although didnt get much use out of her it brings back a few memories. There's some norfolk broads bits and a good chunk of east coast.

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/category/sailing-around-britain/ktl-3-alde-southwold-and-the-broads/

• Like 3

Enjoyed that, thanks for posting Alan, the part with the man sitting on a fold up chair on the beach and wrapping a blanket round himself made me smile, typical British and reminds me of our bucket and spade holidays when we were little, we would go to the beach every day come what may Lol, many a day spent shivering wrapped in a towel.

My dad used to say "we are at the seaside and the seaside is where we are going to be" we had good times with great memories though

Grace

• Like 2

I’ve been following Dylan for over a year now.

Unfortunately many years ago he lost his revenue sharing with Google (ability to earn from adverts on You Tube) which seriously dented his ability to fund his sailing.  He had made a series of films following logging in Canada and the trucks that carry the timber proving very popular indeed with people who like this sort of thing and earning him money to put towards his small not very popular in comparison sailing channel ‘keep turning left’

While he has been selling the DVDs for a very reasonable sum boating is not a cheap thing to do and with dwindleling sales he is trying a new approach putting them all for free on his website and asking for donations through Pay Pal – reading his Blog this too has not brought in revenue as he was hoping, so is going to try Vemeo with a Pro Account and have the ability to stream behind a ‘pay wall’.

There are many competing channels on You Tube to do with sailing, many of which have a large following and some who are part of the so called cruising life such as Drake Paragon help fund their lifestyle with the help of many views and revenue sharing with You Tube. 

I just worry that with someone like Dylan with a passion for sailing come ice, rain or sunshine and sharing his often very well narrated and filmed episodes may continue to sail but not be able to take the time filming editing and sharing those adventures with a wider audience but I sincerely hope this does not happen and goes on filming and sharing for a long time to come.

• Like 4

Hi Robin, I didn't know the background of this chap. I think if the viewer enjoys watching (I'm actually still stuck watching! I love these things!) then I'm sure Dylan would welcome any donations. 

P.S I think the little history bits he's done.. be good to see on yours maybe ;)cheers

Only one thing that struck me watching this delightful film and that was the statement that there is almost no tidal range on the Broads, well there certainly is on the Southern Broads so you cannot just tie up to a tree without knowing what is below you and will affect you at low tide.

I could have sat and watch the film for hours, so relaxing.   

Alan, He is a former BBC cameraman and has some lovely kit with which to film with, along with some more down to earth cameras too capturing the other moments.

The Google Earth parts look impressive but cost – you need a premium subscription to get the ‘fly over’ effects that feature in his videos, and of course behind the scenes there is the research going into the places visited and the narration during editing.

This is all very good and makes for a good ‘film’ to watch much the same as you would find on a proper television program being informative of the places visited, along with the journey there – think Great British Railway Journeys travelogue presented by Michael Portillo.

I don’t like to get too deep into places I go to; or get too polished as far the filming of my videos goes because my videos are Blogs – they are simply videos that accompany the written diary of my travels and for that to work I follow the same principal as from the first day I began – following me day to day as if you’re there alongside and then add in some ‘scenic’ filming between the talking to the camera. 

I do admire his eccentric English manner such as how he cooks up nice food using a pot and a meths stove, built a small sailing punt that ‘draws three quarters of bugger all’ and generally is a really charming chap.  My only complaint is I always am left wanting more videos!

• Like 3

Followed Dylan since he started,ordered some DVDs and spoke to him and the intention was to go all the way round taking a few years,but time and costs ,I suppose leaving the boat and travelling back to your car must be higher than the average weekend boater and would be time consuming as well.i feel that you are there at anchor with him ,not sure about some of those meals ? It's ,a feeling that you get if you read the excellent Magic of the Swatchways by Maurice Griffiths ditch crawling around the East Coast.

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late posting on this thread, but having not been on the forums long, I have been browsing the site to see what there is to read about. Came upon this topic and have started watching Dylan's videos. They are very good and well worth following. As Robin has stated, they are different to his Blogs, but well worth following. I still like the Captains Blog though, as it was these that inspired Wendy & I to start having some Broads holidays, of which no doubt, we will try and have at least one or maybe two every year, as long as our health will allow us, that is, as we are both getting on in life now. 

• Like 1

Hi Geoff,

Never too late to read a open thread, and this is a very good one IMHO. I am sure the intrepid Robin will be back out on the rivers as fast as he can find time off work in the early spring. Robin? :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Yes I'm sure you are right Ian, Robin does love his boating and I enjoy watching his Blog. I hope to make some videos when we go in April and again in September, but I have no intention of starting a blog. I will post them on Youtube, so anyone can have a look at them.  :eek:

Yes indeed – I was going to start off with a low airdraft boat but usually in March things are not that kind weather wise, and river levels can be on the high side – so put that off until later in the season and explore where the Blog has so far not.

I don’t know what boat, from who or when but it is coming!

• Like 3

Yes indeed – I was going to start off with a low airdraft boat but usually in March things are not that kind weather wise, and river levels can be on the high side – so put that off until later in the season and explore where the Blog has so far not.

I don’t know what boat, from who or when but it is coming!

Well Robin, if you are there from April 17th to 24th, we might have the pleasure of meeting you somewhere. Or are you thinking  :eek:  :oops:  Better avoid that week.  :lol:

Geoff,

If Robin is there that week, I am sure he will gladly give you lessons on Hot Dog tin opening. :naughty:  :bow  

cheers Iain.

Yes I watched that demonstration, in abated breath. I was expecting a serious encounter. A much easier way would have to have used a knife, inserted through the slit as far as it could go, then press on the knife handle to keep it flat and then push the edge of the knife away from you, and it will slice enough of the lid to be able to bend half of it back. Used this method when I was truck driving, parked up for the night. But being as Robin now has a suitable tin opener, he won't have to use his screwdriver any more for opening tins. So Robin, make sure you pack your trusty tin opener! :rolleyes:

• Like 1