London Jolly for The BA?

kfurbank

1 Is this jaunt to London sanctioned by the Broads Authority members or is it simply Officer initiated?

2 Have Broads Authority members ever sanctioned the function of the Authority as a Tourist Board/Authority?

3 What is the agreed budget for rebranding?

As far a 2 is concerned I believe that the answer is quite simply 'No'. There was certainly no mention of this function when the Broads Bill went through Parliament.

Quote "So it would appear that the BA is indeed "promoting opportunities for the understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the Broads by the public" sponsored by Richardsons.

It looks like a reasonable use of resources to me."

Or it could look like The BA is becoming an extension of Richardsons marketing!! Are other hire yards and businesses represented? were they approached to be represented? None of this sits well at a time when The BA are removing funding for a boardwalk which actually allows physical access to parts of The Broads and in recent years have removed tourist information centre facilities which would have provided information to those visitors who have already arrived in Broadland. 

• Like 3

.......Or it could look like The BA is becoming an extension of Richardsons marketing!! Are other hire yards and businesses represented? were they approached to be represented? .....

So the BA would be damned if it were to waste its own budget on valid tourist event promotion,

..and it is damned for accepting sponsorship from a leading hire company.

Does anyone really believe that the BA National Park publicity material will exclusively promote Richardsons ?

1 Is this jaunt to London sanctioned by the Broads Authority members or is it simply Officer initiated?

2 Have Broads Authority members ever sanctioned the function of the Authority as a Tourist Board/Authority?

3 What is the agreed budget for rebranding?

As far a 2 is concerned I believe that the answer is quite simply 'No'. There was certainly no mention of this function when the Broads Bill went through Parliament.

I still find it strange that you are so averse to the BA executing one of its three duties.

Are all of the BA tourist information centres beyond their remit too ?

How about the hundreds of leaflets and maps that they publish for the sole purpose of informing visitors ?

I think the confusion may be that you feel they should still just be "Port and Haven Commissioners" and only concerned with the navigation, but the BA assumed the wider three-pronged role when it was formed in 1989, as you well know !

I don't object in principle to the BA accepting sponsorship from a go-ahead firm like Richardsons but like Keith I do wonder if the same opportunity was fairly offered to others? I do see sponsorship as a two edged sword and what worries me is that sponsorship can buy 'favours', as we have seen with the major political parties. When sponsorship becomes a lobbying tool then we all need to worry. 

• Like 1

There are a number of tourist organisations represented, but I don't see much interest from the other members of The National Park family!!! This show is all about showcasing the new Brand. Their stand is "Broads National Park" Considering the amount of time it normally takes to book stands, produce and print material for such shows, someone was either extremely efficient when the authority decided on its name change, or they had already started work on this!!!

I would suggest this show would be far better suited to the tourist offices of the county councils, Norfolk and Suffolk, both of whom produce very good visitor websites and promote all activities in the areas. They are the official tourist offices for the area. www.visitsuffolk.co.uk www.visitnorfolk.co.uk

• Like 2

1 I still find it strange that you are so averse to the BA executing one of its three duties.

2 Are all of the BA tourist information centres beyond their remit too ?

3 How about the hundreds of leaflets and maps that they publish for the sole purpose of informing visitors ?

1 I'm not but I do question what I see as a departure from the original intention of the Act. Promoting interests does not require that the Broads is 're-branded'.

2 Information Centres are there to inform, it's there in the title. As with Beccles these Information Centres could be independent of the BA thus not a  drain on tolls which, one way or another, I'm sure that they are.

3 Like Beccles Information Centre these could be independent, ideal vehicles for sponsorship.

Keith's comments about forward planning, ahead of the formal acceptance of the re-branding by Authority members is well made and deserves further research. If it should be proven that orders were place ahead of that acceptance then BA officers have overstepped the mark and that deserves comment and dripping fans. 

Must say I'm rather shocked :shocked that an authority so keen on promoting tourism hasn't updated it's own website with its new publications!!!

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news-and-publications/publications-and-reports/tourism-publications-and-reports

The press release for the show states they will be handing out the new hot of the press "Eating out in The Broads" and "Enjoy The Broads" brochures. In this electronic day and age many people doing their research prior to travelling will trawl websites for leaflets on activities, walks, cycle routes etc. I appreciate that not everyone uses the web, and there are also those people who prefer a paper copy to look at, but once a publication is finalised for print, then the obvious thing is to place an electronic version on the web ASAP.

We sponsor many things which without our support simply would not happen..

obviously we would not be interested in much which does not appeal to our customers  or potential customers..

look around and see who else sponsors what then make up your minds about weather they have either

asked or put their names forward for consideration..

• Like 2

Must say I'm rather shocked :shocked that an authority so keen on promoting tourism hasn't updated it's own website with its new publications!!!

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news-and-publications/publications-and-reports/tourism-publications-and-reports

The press release for the show states they will be handing out the new hot of the press "Eating out in The Broads" and "Enjoy The Broads" brochures. In this electronic day and age many people doing their research prior to travelling will trawl websites for leaflets on activities, walks, cycle routes etc. I appreciate that not everyone uses the web, and there are also those people who prefer a paper copy to look at, but once a publication is finalised for print, then the obvious thing is to place an electronic version on the web ASAP.

We sponsor many things which without our support simply would not happen..

obviously we would not be interested in much which does not appeal to our customers  or potential customers..

look around and see who else sponsors what then make up your minds about weather they have either

asked or put their names forward for consideration..

Good to hear straight fact from the horses mouth, rather than guesswork and suggestion from others.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/norfolk-broads-area-guide/eating-guide-2015/

I just hope that NO expenses are taken out of the Navigation Account, as this has nothing whatsoever to do with maintaining the navigation.

I'm sure that it will, under the pretext that extra visitors attract further investment which in turn means more boats thus more tolls income. A tenuous argument, I know, but not unheard of. Lets twist words  :dance again, like we did last summer, and all the summers before that   :rolleyes:

Pally,

Not quite sure what your point is

"Straight from the horse's mouth. http://www.richardso...ing-guide-2015/ "

The 2014 guide available on The BA website has exactly the same main sponsers yet this years is missing, despite being given out on the stand at the show by The Ba. Would appear that Richardsons are doing a better job of promoting The Broads than the BA. At least they keep their website up to date. Perhaps The BA should concentrate on keeping the navigation open and leave the promotion to the relevant tourist associations and holiday companies.

• Like 2

My point is that the sponsor of the London gig has already got the 2015 Broads National Park Eating Out guide ready and available, although you have to search the web site to find it. The BA (the other end of the horse?) isn't quite so geared up

• Like 3

As for sponsorship, there is never an opportinity given to us for this; I suspect that most other smaller operators would say the same.

In fact, if anybody remembers the TV show with Warwick Davis a year or so back, we were contacted by the TV production company initially and we were very happy to take part (who wouldn't be?). However, we were later told that the BA wanted to steer the TV programme to the Northern Broads and we lost out to Herbert Woods.

Sponsorship is not for everybody, if only for the fact that many simply wouldn't be able to afford it or justify it but having multiple sponsors should be more than possible and, as much as I admire Richardson's efforts in promoting itself and the area, sponsorship does seem to be becoming a one-horse race.

Fair play to Clive and co, this is business afterall and whilst we mostly all support oneanother in these parts, it does seem a bit lopsided at times when it comes to the BA.

Andy, if you attend the meetings the offers are put out there just no one accepts...

They don't have to be big amounts, for example, the 'Love the Broads' scheme, we sell a book on walks written and illustrated by a local writing group, We  give £1 from each sale to this charity. I am not sure if you are involved with this but quite a few local businesses are

if you think it is 'lop sided' with regards to the BA then how about doing something with other operators to promote the Broads or donate some cash to a cause of your choice?

We are not on a crusade to do the work no one else will do but it appears that most people are happy to sit back and watch us spend the money then piggy back on what is achieved.

Peter,

The Hire boat Federation is funded via the BMF and has limited cash.

• Like 2