London Jolly for The BA?

kfurbank

How much are tourists really being tricked and cheated by coming to an area calling itself a "National Park" when it is in fact fully authorised to call itself "a member of the National Parks Family" ?

Added to the fact that for marketing purposes, the National Parks website states that all fifteen UK National Parks are referred to as "members of the family".

http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/

As the only real difference is that they are coming to an area that cannot apply the Sandford principle, they're not being cheated out of anything....

I'd much rather they spent time money and effort promoting The Broads than some fictional National Park...but then if promoting Broadland was the goal there would not be all this codswallop about a National Park in the first place just a sensible marketing campaign and investment in infrastructure. 

• Like 3

We've discussed this in some depth, do we need more of the same?

However, re a 'jolly' to London, the BA is not a tourist authority, arguably not their remit, they should leave that side of it to the industry. Be interesting to see the eventual cost of this jaunt and to which budget it is charged and at what proportion. Questions need to be asked, in my opinion.

I'd much rather they spent time money and effort promoting The Broads than some fictional National Park...but then if promoting Broadland was the goal there would not be all this codswallop about a National Park in the first place just a sensible marketing campaign and investment in infrastructure. 

Seems The BA are wasting no time in spreading the word!!! Did someone count their chickens?

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news-and-publications/news/broads-national-park-makes-debut-at-london-show

As the show is sponsored by The Telegraph, wonder if an impromptu protest would make it's pages? :smile:

Worth a try!

....... the BA is not a tourist authority, arguably not their remit, they should leave that side of it to the industry..........

Not their remit Peter ?

"Constitutional status

The Broads Authority is a special statutory authority with its own Act of Parliament; The Norfolk and Suffolk Broads Act 1988.

It has the same status as a national park authority and is a ‘member’ of the national park family. The Act sets out three functions of the Authority:

• Conserving and enhancing the natural beauty of the Broads
  • Promoting the enjoyment of the Broads by the public; and
  • Protecting the interests of navigation"

From http://www.aina.org.uk/broads-authority.aspx

Conservation, Tourism and Navigation.

Yes, we have discussed it in some depth, but it keeps getting dragged up.

Not their remit Peter ?

"Constitutional status

The Broads Authority is a special statutory authority with its own Act of Parliament; The Norfolk and Suffolk Broads Act 1988.

It has the same status as a national park authority and is a ‘member’ of the national park family. The Act sets out three functions of the Authority:

I'm not going to argue, Strow, not worth it, be wasting my time!

Thought I'd bring this one out though  :eek:

flogging_dead_horse_what.jpg

I'm not going to argue, Strow, not worth it, be wasting my time......

You keep trying the same technique Peter.

You say something against the BA that's patently untrue, then when someone proves the falsehood with chapter and verse, you say you're not going to argue......  :)

You keep trying the same technique Peter.

You say something against the BA that's patently untrue, then when someone proves the falsehood with chapter and verse, you say you're not going to argue......  :)

No, Strow, sorry and all that. I'm not going to be drawn into yet another of your repeat arguments. Tempting, but pointless. 

...but mainly hopeless, because you know the BA has an equally important duty to promote tourism.

Thank goodness this is a genuinely "open" forum, where such inaccurate statements can be challenged, (in polite debate).....

There's just too much Broads Authority bashing that is full of hearsay and inaccuracy. This muddies the waters terribly and dosen't help one jot.

Rumours abound, some perhaps with some basis, others are a simple extrapolation of untruths.

I haven't been following most of the petition threads (BA or Hoveton) for this reason, so I appologise if this information has leaked out elsewhere. I have no basis to substantiate what I am about to report except to say that it came from a credible source. Please do not take this as being fact.

I am told that the BA's rebranding to a National Park is to be rolled out into a new workwear and possibly even a variation of the logo (where the green dragonfly might be rotated 180 degrees!). If this happens, it's not just workwear that will be changed, it's signage, vehicle graphics, web, corporate stationery, and a whole host of other things. That will be a preety penny.

• Like 1

There's just too much Broads Authority bashing that is full of hearsay and inaccuracy. This muddies the waters terribly and doesn't help one jot........

Quite right Andy.

There's no point in carpet bombing the Broads Authority at every opportunity and then trying surgical strikes when there's something genuine to aim at.

Effective lobbying has to be very focussed and difficult to counter.

If much of it can be easily proven to be exaggeration and conjecture, then it totally undermines any real grounds for discussion.

As has already been said, the ePetition would have far greater support if it had not been used as a (hopeless) means to depose the BA, rather than keep to the clear-cut issue of the CEO's unilateral attempt to change the title.

Even I might have signed it then.... :)

Not their remit Peter ?

"Constitutional status

...but mainly hopeless, because you know the BA has an equally important duty to promote tourism.

Thank goodness this is a genuinely "open" forum, where such inaccurate statements can be challenged, (in polite debate).....

The old semantics argument again. OK, what is tourism? Here are a few definitions:

: The practice of travelling for pleasure.

: The business of providing tours and services for tourists.

(American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language)

: the occupation of providing information, accommodations, transportation, and other services to tourists.

: the promotion of tourist travel, esp. for commercial purposes

(Webster's College Dictionary)

: the activity of traveling to a place for pleasure

: the business of providing hotels, restaurants, entertainment, etc., for people who are travelling

(Merriam-Webster dictionary)

:the business of providing services such as transport, places to stay, or entertainment for people who are on holiday

(Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

Where, in the Broads Acts, does it put the Authority into the business of providing or promoting tourism? The function of promoting the enjoyment, understanding of the Broads by the public etc., is not a commercial enterprise.

And in the interests of accuracy, the original text of the 1988 Act that has been quoted "Promoting the enjoyment of the Broads by the public;" , while a correct quote from the Act as it was passed, has been amended by section 64 of the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006:

"Section 64 Functions of the Broads Authority and others in relation to the Broads

(1)Amend the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads Act 1988 (c. 4) as follows.

(2) In section 2 (functions of the Authority: general), in subsection (1), for paragraphs a. and b. substitute—

a. conserving and enhancing the natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage of the Broads;

b. promoting opportunities for the understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the Broads by the public; and."

That is not the same as getting the punters to come here to spend their hard-earned in the flesh-pots of Potter Heigham, or to hire out boats and holiday accommodation, which is what the tourism industry is all about. The function is educational, not commercial.

It's also interesting to note that the 2006 Act also says that "Any increase in the expenses of the Broads Authority attributable to subsection (2) and not related to protecting the interests of navigation is to be met otherwise than by means of—

(a) charges of a kind mentioned in section 13(1) of the 1988 Act, or (b.) levies under section 14(1) of the 1988 Act." (Tolls and LA levies)

• Like 3

The real trouble about BA bashing or carpet bombing (never heard that one!! ) is that when you do have matters of real interest to report on, then unfortunately those remarks can quite easily be cast aside and ignored.

I really do think it important to pick the important battles to win - nit picking can so easily alienate what would have been support and instead of being listened to, people just switch off. The whole BNP issue and indeed Hoveton Broad are typical - jumping up and down over a name change where the legal status has not changed and where to change it, a change in primary legislation is required, just causes so much angst and over what? Not a lot in reality.

And as far as Hoveton is concerned I do not like the public access arrangements especially but after 100 years we are are seeing a shift and any shift is better than none. Do i want to see the Broad die from an ecological point of view? No, so use public funding, and incidentally not, nor never was, BA funding, which is what is going to happen so again what is it all about? Someone somewhere was even going to waste time about seeing whether the HLF grant was legal? Thats not for us, but for them and again blood pressures have been forced higher over not a lot and indeed something which will be a gain - small I grant you. 

Don't get me wrong, I shall be there with the rest of them if it is really important, but to found campaigns on half truths and misinformation is a huge waste of effort and in reality such a total waste of time. But then, i guess that the various Forums do best...!!

There's just too much Broads Authority bashing that is full of hearsay and inaccuracy. This muddies the waters terribly and dosen't help one jot.

Rumours abound, some perhaps with some basis, others are a simple extrapolation of untruths.

I haven't been following most of the petition threads (BA or Hoveton) for this reason, so I appologise if this information has leaked out elsewhere. I have no basis to substantiate what I am about to report except to say that it came from a credible source. Please do not take this as being fact.

I am told that the BA's rebranding to a National Park is to be rolled out into a new workwear and possibly even a variation of the logo (where the green dragonfly might be rotated 180 degrees!). If this happens, it's not just workwear that will be changed, it's signage, vehicle graphics, web, corporate stationery, and a whole host of other things. That will be a preety penny.

A timely post. I was just about to ask LondonRascal, from where was the BNP poster obtained? I have only found it on one or two boat hire firms web sites, tucked well away. I can't find it anywhere on the Authority's site,  which is still promoting the 'Magical Waterways'. It doesn't seem to me as if it is an authorised publication.

......b. promoting opportunities for the understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the Broads by the public; and."

That is not the same as getting the punters to come here to spend their hard-earned in the flesh-pots of Potter Heigham, or to hire out boats and holiday accommodation, which is what the tourism industry is all about. The function is educational, not commercial.......

Ok Paladin, I apologise for snipping out two small sections of your painstaking lengthy reply, but I believe I've captured the most salient point for me without taking it out of context.

The original linked "jolly" article stated:

"Stunning new images of the Broads together with brochures on all that the area has to offer will be exhibited at the Telegraph Outdoor Adventure and Travel Show at Excel from Thursday February 12th to Sunday February 15th."

and

"The stand, sponsored by Richardson’s, will also be promoting the two-week Broads Outdoors Festival which takes place from Saturday May 2nd to Sunday May 17th."

So it would appear that the BA is indeed "promoting opportunities for the understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the Broads by the public" sponsored by Richardsons.

It looks like a reasonable use of resources to me.