Insurance . Why i will use no one else other than Edward William

Thank you Poppy and Fish Finder.

FWIW, I have just had an email from Edward William's office in Spain "Thank you for your e-mail and confirm it would be ourselves you deal with on the below telephone numbers or e-mail address, Womack Staithe is our UK postal service."

No mention of a UK broker. I'll stick with what I know. What others do is entirely up to them. The information is out there.

From the Financial Conduct Authority’s web site

"Firms that promote, sell or provide insurance in the UK must be authorised by us. If you are contacted by an unauthorised insurance firm or broker you should report it to us..."

Edward William is not so authorised.

Put on your Listening Ears.......   All you doubting Thomases......

I sent an email to Malcolm Skinner enquiring as to what you had posted.

Hylander, if Mr Skinner is only the agent, can you explain to me why he owns the domain name of the Northern Reef web site?

Thank you for your e-mail, we do not have an agent in the UK  just a postal service,  however they can phone the 0870 number and speak to anyone at our office here.

As for me owning the domain name for Northernreef, that is simply because when I joined Edward William 13 years ago Northernreef did not have a website and I offered to make one, which I did.

Kind Regards

Malcolm Skinner

on behalf of Edward William Marine Services SL

Tel: 0870 850 4088 or +34 952 476 090

Fax: 01692 678165 or +34 952 471 498

And yes I have permission from Malcolm to post the email....

Posted by Fish Finder:

I deal with Clive Lewis he is the broker for Edward Williams his office  is situated at Womack Staithe at the address that some kind forum member posted earlier in this thread so anyone wishing to discuss insurance can speak directly to him on Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursdays during working hours.  

Thank you for your e-mail, we do not have an agent in the UK  just a postal service,  however they can phone the 0870 number and speak to anyone at our office here.

Thank you, Hylander. If you feel comfortable with your decision to deal with this company, that's fine. I prefer not to, and that's fine as well.

Everyone makes their own decisions and choices.

• Like 1

Hylander, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. The original warning was posted on the FCA website in May 2011 and appears to have been updated in October 2013. But this is a current warning - it has not been rescinded.

Given all of the above, I do not think I will be pursueing my interest further.

One thing that I really do not get is how anyone with this insurance can make the lawful declaration required to obtain their tolls. Also, having checked my marina terms and conditions, I suspect I would be in breach of contract for not having valid insurance.

The Financial Conduct Authority warning is definately up to date.

Just curious, Heron why would this insurance not be valid ? Perhaps your marina is overly cautious? As far as i am aware the tolls declaration just says you have to have a minimum of £2 million pounds insurable value of the craft  for a minimum of 3rd party cover   I may be wrong but i haven't seen anything that stipulates, "must be regulated by a UK FSA authority". Am i incorrect?

Good Afternoon fine lovers of Broadland.  May I add my two penneth?  If Edward William is a marine insurance broker and does not as far as I can see provide commercial insurance, how was it that Fishfinder was able to a) insure his commercial premises and B) get paid out? Methinks this provides a quandry.  :hardhat:

• Like 1

Good Afternoon fine lovers of Broadland.  May I add my two penneth?  If Edward William is a marine insurance broker and does not as far as I can see provide commercial insurance, how was it that Fishfinder was able to a) insure his commercial premises and B) get paid out? Methinks this provides a quandry.  :hardhat:

Interesting point !  There is no mention of commercial insurance on their web site - apart from Marine cargo cover.

You often find that businesses with a chequered history have a habit of being linked with, or dealing with businesses with a chequered history. I believe the Broadshaven reopened last weekend under new management.

Personally I deal with Navigators and General and have always received good service and a genuine discount year on year on my renewal. Unlike the car insurance world, each year I have received a no claims bonus and the discount has been larger then the general premium increase.

Hi Fish Finder. Here is the declaration made when paying for the toll:

I declare that there is in force a policy of insurance which:-

(a) covers the owner of the vessel/s named below

Boat List

Name

Registration Number

and such other persons as are authorised by the owner to have control of the vessel(s) in respect of any liability which may be incurred by the owner, or any such other person, resulting from the presence of the vessel(s) in the navigation area or adjacent waters, in respect of death of, or bodily injury to, any person or any damage to property; and

( B)is for a minimum sum of £2,000,000 (two million pounds); and

© is issued by an insurer authorised under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 to carry on in Great Britain or in Northern Ireland insurance business of a relevant class or who has corresponding permission under the law of another member state of the European Community.

Hope this explains my concern

Sorry about the odd smiley

Quote from Hylanders post quoting Malcolm Skinner, "The managing director of Edward William Marine Services is however registered with the Spanish Financial services authority."

I don't believe there is such a body as the Spanish Financial Services Authority. If I am correct it would be the Direccion General de Seguros which is responsible for the Spanish insurance sector. I would have thought that for the insurance declaration to be valid your insurance company would need to be registered with and regulated by them. I would ask Edward William for their registration number and confirm it with the Direccion General de Seguros

There appears to be no report of this burglary which was the subject of the OP in the EDP, on the BBC Eats web site or on the web.

Hi Poppy we reported it to the police and have a crime number for it . i dont believe it is a requirement to inform the media  especially whilst police are still conducting the investigations. and  no  no rat odour here :)  i was informed by the police that a shop in north walsham was also hit  recently in a similar manner and that a unit at ludham bridge was also broken into on or around the same time as the locksmith who secured our shop told us he had had to do  similar work that morning due to the same circumstances.

You often find that businesses with a chequered history have a habit of being linked with, or dealing with businesses with a chequered history. I believe the Broadshaven reopened last weekend under new management.

Personally I deal with Navigators and General and have always received good service and a genuine discount year on year on my renewal. Unlike the car insurance world, each year I have received a no claims bonus and the discount has been larger then the general premium increase.

Hi Kfurbank

the broadshaven issue is not one of a chequered history I know for a fact that the previous establishment couple have had personal issues and decided to go their separate ways. It was a purely personal set of circumstances  and the brewery chain felt that the establishment needed to carry on as a business for the time being. cant really see the need to bring up the broads haven in this thread unless you have some underlying personal reason for doing so.

Boat List

Name

Registration Number

and such other persons as are authorised by the owner to have control of the vessel(s) in respect of any liability which may be incurred by the owner, or any such other person, resulting from the presence of the vessel(s) in the navigation area or adjacent waters, in respect of death of, or bodily injury to, any person or any damage to property; and

© is issued by an insurer authorised under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 to carry on in Great Britain or in Northern Ireland insurance business of a relevant class or who has corresponding permission under the law of another member state of the European Community.

Hi Heron thanks for that .  I will be checking that with clive. small print is a biatch lol

Using Google Translate, I found this in the web site of Direccion General de Seguros:

The Regulation and Supervision of Private Insurance (1) provides that the Direccion General de Seguros can agree advertising it deems necessary for public information in the course of entities conducting insurance business without obtaining the mandatory administrative authorization.

Furthermore, in order to better protect customers of insurance services, the need to publicize the activities carried out by entities established in other Member States of the European Economic Area, which by its name or by unclear arises definition of the operations they perform, they can mislead those with whom they hire, giving an appearance of insurer or insurance broker individuals or companies insurance brokerage even when it comes to entities not engaged in these activities.

Considering the above and taking into account the information received from the supervisory bodies of the respective States, the General Directorate of Insurance and Pension Funds has agreed to publish:

CAVEAT: I. ENTITIES REGISTERED OR NOT AUTHORIZED TO OPERATE IN SPAIN AS UNDERWRITERS.

The following legal entities are not authorized as insurance companies, nor can pursue that activity in Spain under the freedom to provide services from another Member State of the European Economic Area, or under the right of establishment through a branch in Spain (2) :

CAPITAL GROUP, SA
ALBATROSS INVEST SPA
BRITISH AMERICAN INSURANCE Ltd.
SPANISH ASSOCIATION OF ARBITRATION COURT COARBI INSTITUTIONAL
SPANISH ASSOCIATION OF ECONOMIC ARBITRATION COURT OF LAW AND EQUITY
SPANISH ARBITRATION ASSOCIATION MANAGEMENT
PROMOTER SPANISH ASSOCIATION OF ARBITRATION COURT
BARKLEY DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION (no link or relationship with WR BERKLEY INSURANCE (EUROPE) LIMITED SUC. IN SPAIN, which is authorized insurer)
CARE COVERAGE SPORTS SL
COMPAGNIE DES Garanties DE LUXEMBOURG SA / COMPAGNIE
CORSA FINANCE LTD
DES Garanties, SA-COMPAGNIA DI CAUZIONI, SA-CAUZIONI, SA
DIMAX, DISTRIBUTIONS OF THE THIRD MILLENNIUM, SL
EUROCAUCIÓN Levante SL
EUROCAUCIÓN SL
EUROPA CAUZIONI, SpA
GUARANTEE OF EUROPEAN COMPANY LTD
PREVENTIVE MEDICINE CABINET OF SPORTS
GENERAL WARRANTY FIDI FIDI CONSORTIUM
@ REINSURANCE BROKERS INSURANCE GRAVITELL SL
GRAVITELL LIMITED
HENRY MORTIMER PLC
HUGIES ROYAL FINANCE CORPORATION
IBERSHAMROCK SL
INKORE
ITALFINANZIARIA SpA
LAUREN'S INSURANCE, Ltd.
LOPEZ INTERNATIONAL INSURANCE INSURANCE COMPANY
MEMORIAL FUNERAL INTERNATIONAL SL
MERRION REINSURANCE COMPANY, Ltd.
MINOS SPA
MUTUELLE DE STRASBOURG
MUTUELLE INTERNAZIONALE D'ASSURANCES LA PARISIENNE
NORTHERNEEF INSURANCE COMPANY
SECURE CONSTRUCTION LIMITED
NOVA INSURANCE
OVERSEAS PROPERTIES SHAMROCK LIMITEDv
SUNNY LUCKY INSURANCE
SWISS FINANCIAL CORPORATION
SWISSCARE SALES PARTNER
TEMPLETON INSURANCE LTD
TOP CLASS INSURANCE
UNION GENERAL SECURITIES SA

Boat List

Name

Registration Number

In view of this, I wonder if The Broads Authority is aware that Toll payers insured with Edward William / Northern Reef are not fully in compliance with these requirements?

To be fair Poppy, the BA don't ask who you are insured with, just that you declare you are insured and meet their requirements. I am currently insured with N+G, but when that runs out it is up to me to make sure I reinsure with them or another company that meets the BA requirements to stay within the terms of my declaration.

It does however raise the questions of should the BA do the occasional spot check and perhaps pick 10% at random every 6 months or so and ask them to produce evidence of their insurance? Given that insurance start dates will vary extremely randomly and there is no national database of insurance the BA could consult, spot checks or proof at every toll renewal would be the only real way, unless involved in an accident at which point I would have thought it would come to light.

To be fair Poppy, the BA don't ask who you are insured with, 

I appreciate I am only a hirer, and do not profess to know the inner workings of running a craft on the Broads. However, taking the car tax principle, you have to SHOW and declare you have insurance. To me, the BA are a bit lax, or are they not? As I said, I am an outsider looking in on a very interesting subject.

cheers Iain.

I appreciate I am only a hirer, and do not profess to know the inner workings of running a craft on the Broads. However, taking the car tax principle, you have to SHOW and declare you have insurance. To me, the BA are a bit lax, or are they not? As I said, I am an outsider looking in on a very interesting subject.

cheers Iain.

If you tax your car on line, a check is made with a data base. If you tax it in one of the several thousand Post Offices scattered around the country, you have to produce the certificate.

Perhaps the BA could make an arrangement with the Post Office to issue toll receipts. Perhaps not.

Perhaps we should all have to make a personal appearance at the BA office each year. Perhaps not.

Send the certificate in by post? Then what about those of us who pay our tolls on-line?

It's easy to criticise the BA, but can anyone suggest an answer, a one-size-fits-all, that will not entail inordinate costs?

Our yacht club ask for a declaration and not a copy of the certificate as apparently if they have a copy of the certificate they are somehow responsible for the policy.. I don't quite understand that but the club is full of lawyers so someone must know something! Clearly it's down the boat owner to ensure that a policy is in place.

Interesting thread though.  Personally I would only insure with a UK insurer. 

Perhaps the burglars got fed up of waiting for a pump out and decided to help themselves as the so called shop is always closed anyway :)

Maybe if you patronised the shop more often it would be open  when you want it :)   ive actually been working on shop business all over the winter rather than sitting non productively waiting for non existant winter clients once in a blue moon  and actually from easter we are open 7 days a week  until november  no weekends off no bank holidays off . can you say that ? i think we can take time off when we want it as youre not paying my wages!

• Like 2