Bit far from home

Where was this taken then?  I'll raise you this picture of a Bounty 37 going through a lock in Warwick on my walk home from work.

It still had it's registration number of G829 which was Tahiti 3 from Mixer Marine before heading to Herbert Woods.  We hired a Tahiti back in the early eighties, not sure which one though without checking some photos at mums house.

Anyone else have photos of Broads boats in far flung places?

post-23-0-94940700-1430816534_thumb.jpg

Hi Neil,

Canal du Midi, just above the three way lock at Agde a couple of miles from the Med.

It was at a boatyard which had quite a lot of liveaboard boats and lots of bits and pieces of boat things lying around. Very nostalgic, reminded me of some Broads boatyards.

I don't think I have any other photos of wandering Broads boats but some I have seen over the years are an ex Aston 42 on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, a Caribbean 39 on the Bridgewater Canal, a Bounty bathtub on the Rochdale Canal and last year an old woody Purple Dawn on the Grand Union Canal.

regards

Roy 

Just remembered I took a ride on the Falkirk Wheel about 10 years ago and the trip boat was an ex-Broads wooden passenger boat. Don't know if it was an ex-Wroxham or Norwich boat though.

We stopped off at the Wheel again when on a coach trip last year and they are now using specially built trip boats.

Roy

There are quite a few ex broads hire craft on the Ouse at York at Bishopthorpe. Can't remember what they were exactly. There was also a rather fine conversion to a house boat being made on one large craft.

Another one has just come to mind. Almost 20 years ago at Waterbeach on the river Cam I spotted one of Richardsons old woodys. I think it was a Crusader but could have been a Tranquil.

A guy was extolling its virtues to a wouldbe purchaser. Don't know if he succeeded but it was in pretty poor condition.

There also used to be a Windboat woody out of the water for many years at a boatyard where Salford Quays are now. I made a few enquiries over the years about whether it was for sale or not but the owner never replied.

Passing on my way to work one day and saw they were about halfway through breaking it up, very sad,

Roy

It was the ex Broads Tours passenger launch Princess Mary which was at the Falkirk Wheel. She was moved up there in 2003 and was used to run trips until around 2011. I had some correspondence and photographs from her skipper up there, Mike Lennox after I contacted the Falkirk Wheel regarding her whereabouts. In 2011 she was moved to the Leeds & Liverpool canal where she went up for sale. I've not heard anymore about her since. More photos & info about her time in Scotland in this blog post I wrote:

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2012/07/broads-tours-princess-mary/

She wasn't the only ex BRoads Tours boat to make their way to Scotland. The ex "Prince" passenger launch became Ratho Princess which ran trips on the Union Canal before being retired and used as a pleasure cruiser. She had undergone a major refit and looked spectacular. Once again, I had correspondence with her owner who sent me some photos and history about the boat - you can find all of that in another BM blog post:

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2012/09/broads-tours-the-prince/

Ratho Princess appeared for sale again recently .. the price started at a whopping £45k I believe but has dropped since. She'd make a lovely flag ship for Broadland Memories! :dance :dance

If you follow links back from those blogs, there was also details of another ex Broads Tours launch, Vanguard 2, which was being used as a Water Taxi in Wales. If anybody spots any other ex Broads Tours launches in other parts of the UK, then I'd love to see some pictures :grin:

Carol

• Like 3

It was the ex Broads Tours passenger launch Princess Mary which was at the Falkirk Wheel. She was moved up there in 2003 and was used to run trips until around 2011. I had some correspondence and photographs from her skipper up there, Mike Lennox after I contacted the Falkirk Wheel regarding her whereabouts. In 2011 she was moved to the Leeds & Liverpool canal where she went up for sale. I've not heard anymore about her since. More photos & info about her time in Scotland in this blog post I wrote:

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2012/07/broads-tours-princess-mary/

She wasn't the only ex BRoads Tours boat to make their way to Scotland. The ex "Prince" passenger launch became Ratho Princess which ran trips on the Union Canal before being retired and used as a pleasure cruiser. She had undergone a major refit and looked spectacular. Once again, I had correspondence with her owner who sent me some photos and history about the boat - you can find all of that in another BM blog post:

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2012/09/broads-tours-the-prince/

Ratho Princess appeared for sale again recently .. the price started at a whopping £45k I believe but has dropped since. She'd make a lovely flag ship for Broadland Memories! :dance :dance

If you follow links back from those blogs, there was also details of another ex Broads Tours launch, Vanguard 2, which was being used as a Water Taxi in Wales. If anybody spots any other ex Broads Tours launches in other parts of the UK, then I'd love to see some pictures :grin:

Carol

Thanks Carol,

Roy

I`ve seen several ex Broads hire boats on the Mudway, an ex Aston 42 in Chatham marina, a Windboat seacrete 26 (in very poor condition) at Mudway bridge marina, and a Santa Caterina there too. I saw one of the ols steel Breydon Monarchs on the Trent in Nottingham, and a Calypso 28 on the Lancaster canal at Carnforth. A few years ago, i saw an Aquafibre 44 (Mediteranean) for sale with a local number (Poole and Bournemouth), but don`t know where it was. I saw one of the 80s Ripplecraft steel sedans on the Hamble, which i think was a liveaboard, and Breydon Marines London Pride (steel hull, with cascover sheethed superstructure) also at Mudway bridge marina.

I`ve seen quite a few on my travels around the UK, so will keep an eye out elsewhere.