Coltishall Lock

NorfolkNog

Just a heads up that the river is cordoned off just before the Lock and after the split to the old Mill stream. Couldn't see any warning signs downstream though. It was easy to turn with bow thrusters but could be a bit tight with a bigger boat as the channel is quite narrow there.

• Like 2

Work is due to continue until May 31st.River was to be dredged between Mead Hotel and the Lock.

Oh goodie,

We`re on Lightning from May 30th, and i was planning on going up to Coltishall lock. Now i can go safely in the knowledge the river has been dredged. Well done BA. 

I`ve never been up to the lock, is there a path up to the village, as it`s a long way from the common, and we`ll have Karens mum and dad with us, and her dad is nearing 80, with a dodgy hip.

Also, i`ve heard of "The Recruiting Sergeant", but where exactly is it, and is far from the lock?.

The Recruiting Sergeant is actually in Horstead, a few hundred yards out of Coltishall on the Norwich road, on the corner of the road to Aylsham  It's an easy walk from Coltishall Lock.

http://www.recruitingsergeant.co.uk/walk_horstead_mill.pdf

Thanks for posting that Bob,  it would be a lot easier on aching limbs to walk to the shop in the morning.

Yes, after you've cleared Coltishall Common, the Rising Sun et al, the river takes a few twists and turns and then splits.  The left fork goes up to Horstead Mill, but is really only navigable by canoe/kayak (and even these scrape hulls over the odd fallen tree or two in places).  The right channel leads on to the lock, and a quiet little mooring spot.  It's worth walking through to see the ruins of the old mill, and the mill race - and just about Norfolk's only 'white water' canoeing :)

On the subject of shops, there's a splendid 'farm shop' almost opposite the Recruiting Sergeant that sells good meat and all kinds of other goodies.

• Like 2