Tv question

Tis kind of a technical question, have a holiday booked for early sept this year with silverline and wondered if anyone knows if the TVs on board have memory stick usb ports so I can take some movies to watch if the weather turns a bit icky, have emailed silver line twice in the last two weeks, but no reply.

The craft is the silver elegance, even the model num of the TV will do as I can research the spec elsewhere, specifically need to know if it will play .mkv files.

cheers peeps

Ray

I would doubt it Ray as it's probably a small TV.. David (deebee) hired the same boat a couple of weeks ago so he may have had a close look.  I'd probably call them too they maybe busy but I guess calling them would prompt for an answer.. unless they are waiting for it to come back from hire. cheers

Well I did check on the website and it did say DVD/USB port on the TV for that boat, just wondered if it was .mkv compatible and yes clean forgot it might have been on hire! Derrr... As they say, will prob give them a bell a bit nearer the time, it's a shame a quick reply as we'll get back to you never hurts, but no biggie.

I'll have to ask dee bee for a run down on the boat lol it does look very nice.

Ray

• Like 1

Hi Ray

We had Silver Elegance in April and although the tv had a usb socket we took a memory stick loaded with avi movies that all worked at home but they wouldn't work on the tv on the boat so I would recommend taking a few dvds as well

• Like 1

Just noticed the last bit of your post Ray

The boat is fantastic, you'll not be disappointed

It has everything you could want and then some, handles like a dream and the thrusters certainly draw a crowd when you pull up alongside a mooring that's just big enough and just ease it in sideways, also great for turning the boat in it's own length.

One thing I would suggest if you plan to cook on board is take an oven glove as the grill pan doesn't have a handle and if you are using the rings can't put it down (we used to stand it on an unused pan to protect the worktop)

Just noticed the last bit of your post Ray

The boat is fantastic, you'll not be disappointed

It has everything you could want and then some, handles like a dream and the thrusters certainly draw a crowd when you pull up alongside a mooring that's just big enough and just ease it in sideways, also great for turning the boat in it's own length.

One thing I would suggest if you plan to cook on board is take an oven glove as the grill pan doesn't have a handle and if you are using the rings can't put it down (we used to stand it on an unused pan to protect the worktop)

cheers David for the info, most useful, really am looking forwards to it, will dig out a trivet or something, would hate to mark what looks an immaculate boat.

Think I'll ring the boatyard and ask for the make and model number and see what the TV can handle, would prefer .mkv as its what I use on my media server at home, my Mrs has just said "boys and toys" insult or what....

Thanks again

Ray

• Like 1

thats probably, next to how long is a piece of string, the most unanswerable question, as .mkv files can use any of a number of video and audio compression codecs. I know a lot of LG and Samsung TV's state that they can play .mkv movies but in reality can't, or play them without sound, because the codec used to create the files is not supported by the TV.

I think short of plugging it in and trying you will not get a definitive answer. It might be safer to convert them to a more standard format, or as suggested earlier take DVD's.

• Like 2

Hi Paul, yes your right .mkv is just a 'container' and plugging it in is probably the only definitive way, as an aside, I've found most of the TVs I've owned have played them with no problem, i use 'makemkv' to transcode the DVDs which gives me superb pictures and full 5.1 dd sound for my home cinema, pretty much sold all my DVDs lol I just have a 3tb drive which acts as a media server round the house, so would be easy to dump enough movies onto a memory stick or a 2.5 backup drive which works from a USB port and doesn't need a separate power supply.

If all else fails it will be a good book, radio or the art of conversation (which might be a novelty for some of the younger crew lol )

cheers for the comment

Ray

• Like 1

I'm afraid I use the F1sh1NG R0D  alongside the R10JA, C1g-R  and the G00D 800k codecs. Uncle Albert did have a tantrum last time we were down as he was having Jeremy Kyle withdrawal but he soon stopped when I threatened to drop him off at the Bus Station in Norwich to watch the antics of the assorted muppetry there.  :naughty:

Joking aside I actually convert all film footage using the DNxHD codec or if some wally has sent me footage from a mac (*spits) I convert it using the Prores codec before using the DNxHD. For the most comprehensive package of codecs Google the K-Lite Codec Pack. However if it's a true cinema quality codec you are after you need to download the Go Pro Cineform Studio Trial. You don't need to ever use the software but included in the software is the codec package we use in the studio which cost us several thousand to license...and even when the trial runs out the codec will remain on your machine. :dance

• Like 4