Falgate inn potter..

I'm sorry this is late being posted, we are ten days out from our wedding and things are pretty manic !! We visited the falgate on the Sunday afternoon of my stag, tbh as Essex boys we were a bit apprehensive on entering the pub ( a few of us hire boats on the broads but have never been to this pub ) the bar was full and I think the locals were a tad shocked that ten pirates walked thro the door !! We were greeted by The bar man and we placed our drink order and starting chating to the guys in the bar.. Then the land lady appeared ( I'm sorry we can't remember her name ) and promptly placed a pink boa around my neck welcomed us and allowed us to use there function room.. We were then given bar snacks free of charge ( wow ) we don't even get that service in our local !! Sadly we got bored with our own company so decided to go back to the main bar and watch the footie and rib the local man city fan watching them loose ( as west ham fans, this gave us great pleasure ) he proved to be a great sport and all in all we were made very welcome by all and had loads of laughs and made new frinds, and I hope the feeling was mutual.. All in all by far the best pub we visited over the weekend, the owners and locals great !! If anyone knows the owner please pass on my comments, kim and me will be back afloat in sept and I promise this will be my first port of call.. Only down side my boxer shorts where taken down from the pilots office flag pole before the three rivers.. We had a very keen sweep on the odds.. #norfolkmemories..

• Like 8

Hi Andy

Glad you enjoyed the Falgate. The landlady is called Annette. Its being run on a pretty much day to day basis as its up for sale and I think the Pubco are just letting her stay on until its sold. Slight downside for me is they don’t sell any real ale. However I have to say me and Mrs Nog popped in for a quick Guinness recently and were made very welcome. It is a proper pub, very unspoilt by Broads standards with many of its original features intact. Its always seemed more of the locals pub, probably because its nearer to the village proper and the Broadshaven has never been much competition. We’ve been up to the Falgate for quiz mights in the past and always had a good evening.

its always good to hear positive comments about a pub. If I had a spare 200k I could even be tempted!

• Like 2

The Falgate is indeed not doing very well. If there was a crowd in then that was very unusual and I know 'cause I only live around the corner. The pub is up for sale and has been for a good while. The price is sub £200k after originally going up for £245k. And yes you are right NorfolkNog, the landlady is only there on a month to month basis. But when did you last go to a quiz night? The guy that ran them defected to the Dog at Ludham Bridge many, many months ago and that, as they say, was that, unless I am missing something here :-)

It is a good old building though and I really do hope it survives. It is the only pub in the village - I don't count the Broadshaven which I understand is closed yet again anyway! I have had some good times in the Falgate but of late it has lost its way. That said, glad there was some sort of revival to greet you Andyg

. But when did you last go to a quiz night? The guy that ran them defected to the Dog at Ludham Bridge many, many months ago and that, as they say, was that, unless I am missing something here :smile:

Ah, sorry should have been clearer. This was a few years ago now. I seem to remember they did a quiz and then play your cards right after that.

Ah, sorry should have been clearer. This was a few years ago now. I seem to remember they did a quiz and then play your cards right after that.

They did indeed. And an excellent night it used to be. On a Wednesday if memory serves but the last was over a year ago now. Something went terribly wrong when the pub changed landladies. I have no idea what the problem is/was but it suddenly lost a lot of support. I know a there are those did not like the pink fluffy decor - a friend of mine from London reckoned it looked like a tart's boudoir.

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy

Sorry, just caught up with this, no, not in the slightest cheersbar

Just seen via Fleurets website that the Falgate is sold subject to contract. It will be interesting to see what happens, I just hope it continues as a pub. Wonder what will happen to Annette?

Hi Andy

Sorry, just caught up with this, no, not in the slightest cheersbar

Just seen via Fleurets website that the Falgate is sold subject to contract. It will be interesting to see what happens, I just hope it continues as a pub. Wonder what will happen to Annette?

Went past the Falgate today and the For Sale board did not say Under Offer so your news is good news indeed NorfolkNog. As you say, let us hope it stays a pub. I am not aware of any attempts to obtain a change of use but we can only wait and see.

Annette is currently on a one month rolling tenancy I understand. That suggests her days are numbered unless the new owners have a role for her. In this respect I have my own views but cannot and should not share them here.

• Like 1

If you are moored on the Herbert woods side, go left as you come out of the car park  ie don't go over the bridge. Its then  about a ten minute walk straight ahead  on Bridge road and  going past the caravan park on your left,  and then Potter Heigham stores shortly before you get there.

Of course if  you are moored opp Herbert Woods on the 24 hr moorings  then just cross the Bridge and continue per above.

Not been in myself for many  years  so cant advise re the food.     

I agree Speedtriple, but it is a bit small for a Weatherspoons I feel/hope. I am not so sure the location is that great for them either - it is not riverside and it does not have a huge catchment area re local trade. The pub has loads of ground though!

It will be interesting to see what happens, as I understand it the building needs a lot spent on it to bring it up to scratch, especially upstairs. The grounds and carpark are also a bit of a mess. It has been badly neglected over the years.

• Like 1

Pure speculation on my part, but the freehold has sold, so no longer a pubco pub, and the landlord of another freehold ex pubco pub in the local area was looking for other similar prospects. He even looked at The Berney but the price was prohibitive given its location. The Falgate though just might well meet his expectations, can but hope.

• Like 2

Pure speculation on my part, but the freehold has sold, so no longer a pubco pub, and the landlord of another freehold ex pubco pub in the local area was looking for other similar prospects. He even looked at The Berney but the price was prohibitive given its location. The Falgate though just might well meet his expectations, can but hope.

I had heard similar, Keith. Fingers crossed! 

• Like 2

It was always nicer somehow when it was thatched, but I must say I have never, ever had an issue with the food. It has always been good and value for money. Those who run it have changed over the years though and I am not so sure all have been for the better.....but then it is hard to make a tied pub work.

Hopefully the future will be brighter!

• Like 4