Beccles water cavalcade

Wonderwall

Nearly time for me to jump aboard for my 10 days of heaven!!

I noticed that beccles has a bit of a bash on the 4/5th July and I was wondering if any of you kind folks could inform me how busy it is expected to be. Would I struggle for a mooring ,and also I am better just giving it a wide berth , or is it a spectacle not to be missed.

Thanks in advance.

No idea but why not book a mooring and if it's too much you can about turn.

I can't inagine Beccles will be on a par with Glastonbury.

Not own so sure, Glastonbury performers have been known to play at Beccles! Beccles is worth the effort, in my opinion. Moorings will be crowded, I'm sure, but rafting up can be great fun with new friends.

Have to agree with Paul above that the wx was disappointing on Sunday and a shame that the cavalcade of boats was cut short.

All credit to the Charter signing party though as they carried on their ceremony onboard the launch BetsieJane all through the rain. The pipers were soaked through but kept going and the two young Carnival Queens never stopped waving the whole time while on parade, even when there were no spectators left on the quayside in the rain. Great effort.

Also the cadets rowing made the best of it and the waterbikes was a bit of fun.

Typical for Britain's wx the rain stopped two hours later but probably too late to save the day for the stallholders on the green.

On the Saturday the wx was much better and apparently the open gardens trips were a success -according to Paul, skipper of the BetsieJane who was ferrying them around.

The Lowestoft Model Boat club was well worth a look as they had a good range of models on display on their pond.

Was speaking briefly to the crew of Broad Ambition and it did seem they had made a big effort but unfortunately weren't called into action in the end.

Bob

Big Effort?

Myself and Robin each a day off work

324 road miles (That was just me), Robin train journey from London and back

(Paul and Barry were local)

48:5 river miles each way from the shed to Beccles and 50+ Ltrs of diesel

Four guys night navving little sleep etc

Some effort.

I received a call from the deputy mayor of Beccles asking me to bring 'B.A' to this event last year.  I promised I would at his request.

During the Sat / Sun the only visitors we received (Apart form forumites) were members of the public asking us what was going on and when?  a very small few of them knew something but not much, the majority of them knew what we knew - Nowt.  I would have thought that some official from the organisers would have made the effort to visit us and comment / say hello and thanks for turning up etc, but no, not one.  No mooring reserved either.

We did get a visit from just the one official - the harbour master asking for the mooring fee (Which I paid of course)

I shall not be expecting or waiting with baited breath for  a call from them to attend next year

Griff

Have to agree with Paul above that the wx was disappointing on Sunday and a shame that the cavalcade of boats was cut short.

All credit to the Charter signing party though as they carried on their ceremony onboard the launch BetsieJane all through the rain. The pipers were soaked through but kept going and the two young Carnival Queens never stopped waving the whole time while on parade, even when there were no spectators left on the quayside in the rain. Great effort.

Also the cadets rowing made the best of it and the waterbikes was a bit of fun.

Typical for Britain's wx the rain stopped two hours later but probably too late to save the day for the stallholders on the green.

On the Saturday the wx was much better and apparently the open gardens trips were a success -according to Paul, skipper of the BetsieJane who was ferrying them around.

The Lowestoft Model Boat club was well worth a look as they had a good range of models on display on their pond.

Was speaking briefly to the crew of Broad Ambition and it did seem they had made a big effort but unfortunately weren't called into action in the end.

Bob

Hello Bob,

Welcome to the NBN forum from Tan & myself.

Regards

Alan

Thank you Alan and Tan.

I have also been a lurker on your forum for a while now and tempted join in on several occasions. I felt it worth posting about the Beccles event as even though I have no connection whatsoever with the organisers I did feel they were very much victims of the wx on the main day.

Will post up later on the new members page but am upriver just now and phone signal is in and out.

cheers

Bob

• Like 1