Closed moorings at Thurne

alexandlorna

I was passing Thurne the other day and noticed a few sailing boats moored here 

Later on the way back, I had a good look at the mooring and have to say I would not hesitate to moor there if I wished
Does anyone know if these have reverted to a private landowner or the E A.

If you mean the former BA 24 hour moorings at Boundary Farm (near Thurne Mouth), the lease agreement between the landowner (the owner of Boundary Farm and the campsite etc) and the BA ran out last year and was not renewed because the landowner and BA could not agree terms. The BA were obliged to remove all their signage relating to the 24 hour moorings, and 'no mooring' signs were subsequently erected - this is privately owned land.  I believe the landowner and BA are still in discussion about a possible reinstatement of the moorings, but no action is likely this summer.  The landowner has made a private agreement with some local sailing clubs to allow limited mooring for events such as the Thurne Mouth Open Regatta, but other mooring at the moment, without the landowners permission, may be regarded as trespass.

If, however, you are referring to the nicely tended moorings opposite Thurne Dyke (the Dyke that leads up to The Lion Inn) these are privately owned by the East Anglian Cruising Club (the club that organises the Thurne Mouth Open Regatta) and trespassers are likely to be shot!

• Like 4

If, however, you are referring to the nicely tended moorings opposite Thurne Dyke (the Dyke that leads up to The Lion Inn) these are privately owned by the East Anglian Cruising Club (the club that organises the Thurne Mouth Open Regatta) and trespassers are likely to be shot!

Well that would put them off,  wouldn't it, Bob?  :shocked :shocked :shocked

If you mean the former BA 24 hour moorings at Boundary Farm (near Thurne Mouth), the lease agreement between the landowner (the owner of Boundary Farm and the campsite etc) and the BA ran out last year and was not renewed because the landowner and BA could not agree terms. The BA were obliged to remove all their signage relating to the 24 hour moorings, and 'no mooring' signs were subsequently erected - this is privately owned land.  I believe the landowner and BA are still in discussion about a possible reinstatement of the moorings, but no action is likely this summer.  The landowner has made a private agreement with some local sailing clubs to allow limited mooring for events such as the Thurne Mouth Open Regatta, but other mooring at the moment, without the landowners permission, may be regarded as trespass.

two guns  two guns  two guns Really???Ooooerrrr!

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

I think it's a good idea to respect "no mooring signs" and don't moor then unless it's an emergency and even then it's better to stay on the boat and not go walking around.  

Also is a good idea is to do all we can to pay the private land owners the mooring fee.. We was chatting to the land owner in thurne (The farm side).. she missed us when we came round to collect as we was erm in the pub (hic).. we went into the farmhouse to pay the following morning and she was surprises as no one ever does :( That way hopefully land owners will become more open to allowing moorings.

P.s thats a general comment in passing not aimed at any members ;)cheers

• Like 2

I was referring to the Dyke - managed to launch & recover there Sunday without being shot (although the Mill would make an awesome sniper position so will keep my eyes peeled next time!)

Oh the dyke is fine, there is a slipway owned by the parish and they ask you to pop a few quid donation in the honesty box provided if you use it ... I've had my kayak in from there quite a few times.

That's answered my question I meant the Thurne Mouth former free moorings  - B.A. Being tight @rs$es no doubt 

I think it's a bit more complicated than that.  From what I've been able to glean from a few sources the current quay heading at this site has perhaps 7-10 years of life left in it at best before major renewal is necessary, and it will need some repair work before then. The question is about who takes financial responsibility for repairs/replacement in both the short and long term.  The BA, quite rightly, would not be prepared to spend lots of money maintaining the quay heading, only to subsequently lose the mooring at some time in the future; so they require a long lease, which is not currently on offer.  I know it's fashionable to bash the BA, but in this instance I think they're actually trying to protect our money.

Bobdog - you have got the wrong end of the stick methinks. The Lease did not expire nor were the BA given the chance to renegotiate terms - the lease was terminated early by the Lessor but it would not be appropriate for me to repeat the supposed issue of conflict given that the story about is only hearsay!!!

'Nuff said but the BA were more thasn a little put out given the effort and costs put into it in the first place. Just shows you cannot please all of the people all of the time!!!

• Like 1

Not prepared to argue with you Marshman, I'm only saying what I have understood from conversations with a few people semi-detached from the discussions, and I can't vouch for their veracity.  I have also heard a story about a senior BA staff member upsetting the landowner at a personal level which is part of the impasse (and I suspect that is the 'hearsay' you refer to).  The important thing (going back to the original post) is that the moorings are currently closed to the general public ... but watch this space.

• Like 1

So just to be clear as Thurne was going to be our intended mooring on the 24th July, is it still ok to moor in the dyke? And while I'm on, is there a button I'm missing to "view first unread post"?

So just to be clear as Thurne was going to be our intended mooring on the 24th July, is it still ok to moor in the dyke? And while I'm on, is there a button I'm missing to "view first unread post"?

Yup, Thurne Dyke is absolutely fine, the OP was asking about the moorings a quarter of a mile or so downriver from there.

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

After you have clicked View New Content, you can select which option you wish to use down the left hand side. Hope that helps you.

cheers Iain

• Like 1