Healthy food in south?

wooster

Hi folks

I'm on a diet ( I know, I know, not a great plan while on the Broads but needs must ) and I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to healthy eating spots.  I will be taking my own supplies for much of the time but don't expect my wife and daughter will be keen to eat in the boat all the time. I guess in most pubs I can just go with salad or something, but theyre not always geared up for dieters ;)

Am I asking the impossible here?

Edited to make more sense than my first effort :)

Norwich is going to have the largest selection of places to eat so maybe worth a whirl - restaurants too many to mention here (plus good shopping if that's your bag). Starters only maybe at other places? What about a slightly different approach - great walk into Beccles where also a fab pool, great walk into Lowestoft. Lovely walk between Beccles and Geldeston plus Berney Arms to Yarmouth (and train back). Walk to Somerleyton Hall from the moorings or across Carlton Marshes after getting the Ferry from Waveney River Centre. Walk to Hardley Cross from Loddon or the other way round. Finally the Dragon trail in Norwich - you may even find Drogo (for Game of Thrones fans)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hello Wooster,

The Yare does a great salad.

At the Ferry Inn Reedham they will do you fish without batter.

If on a diet ask for meals without sauces, opt for plain chicken, jacket potatoes (but watch out for the fillings) , salads as you say, carvery  at least you can pick out plenty of vegetables and cut down on the good stuff.

Sorry just noted you asked about takeaways.

Takeaways and a diet hardly go hand in hand, Chinese is out then far too much grease, pizza again a problem, fish & chips, as listed above you could opt for the batter free option.  

I hope it works out for you.

Regards

Alan

Hi folks

I'm on a diet ( I know, I know, not a great plan while on the Broads but needs must ) and I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to healthy eating spots.  I will be taking my own supplies for much of the time but don't expect my wife and daughter will be keen to eat in the boat all the time. I guess in most pubs I can just go with salad or something, but theyre not always geared up for dieters ;)

Am I asking the impossible here?

YES!

I just can't imagine how you have the will power... does it include beer too?   :cry

Best not go to the carvery at Oulton Broad's Wherry Hotel then. Their eat all you can breakfasts are not in the least bit tempting! 

Good luck with the diet, been there, almost done it, now have smaller tee-shirts! Still have a small way to go, the last stone is the hardest.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Re the walking; good idea but unfortunately my knee is playing up pretty badly at the moment ( hence the diet ;) ) otherwise I'd love these suggestions. 

Alan, I did originally ask about takeaways but realised I was being daft and changed the post. Other than Chicken Shish Kebabs I haven't a clue how I hoped for a healthy takeaway. A moment of madness on my part :) Good tips re the Yare etc thanks.

Beer isn't in the equation I'm afraid Hockham Admiral and thanks for the encouragement Jenny Morgan. I am looking to lose 3 stones in the next few months so a fair bit to go. Hope I can hold up but time will tell. I'll let you know how I got on when I get back :)

Hello Wooster,

When I started with painfull knees I did loose some weight about a stone & a half. I found that a magnetic copper bracelet worn on my right ankle provided a good deal of relief.

So it becomes a topic of conversation when wearing sandals, but hey ho check my bothered meter :naughty:

Regards

Alan

Funnily enough I was considering getting one of these bracelets for my wrists. I suffer from periodic tendonitis in both hands in addition to my knee pain ( the joys of ageing ) which flares up when using a keyboard. I might order one and give it a go. 

I wonder if the goodness would spread from my wrist to my knee as well?

To loose weight I avoid carbs as follows:

Avoid bread, potatoes and cheese.

Eat steak and salad. They will usually swap chips for salad if asked/necessary.

Drink spirits rather than beer (e.g. whiskey, rum) if they don't have any tasty spirits then use a diet drink as a mixer with vodka or gin - watch out for tonic water it has more calories than you might think.

Snack on cold meats.

If you are British you were probably brought up to eat/drink the full portion you were given not to waste it people starving in the world etc. This is very dangerous when combined with Norfolk food portions or Polish hospitality re vodka. So break with tradition and when you have had enough, leave the rest on the plate or in the glass.

This is not strictly speaking what I would call a 'healthy food' diet but it gets the job done without getting depressing!

Funnily enough I was considering getting one of these bracelets for my wrists. I suffer from periodic tendonitis in both hands in addition to my knee pain ( the joys of ageing ) which flares up when using a keyboard. I might order one and give it a go. 

I wonder if the goodness would spread from my wrist to my knee as well?

I use Glucousamine Sulphate tabs for the old knees, I suffer from Psoriatic Arthritis, and the tabs do help, especially in the winter. (Double the dosage then) Whisky has more sugar in the blended bottles rather than a straight malt I believe. Adnams Broadside is high in sugar I would think, but hey we only live once!  :naughty:

Good luck with the diet, will power is certainly helpful. I stopped smoking that way.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

I use Glucousamine Sulphate tabs for the old knees, I suffer from Psoriatic Arthritis, and the tabs do help, especially in the winter. (Double the dosage then) Whisky has more sugar in the blended bottles rather than a straight malt I believe. Adnams Broadside is high in sugar I would think, but hey we only live once!  :naughty:

Good luck with the diet, will power is certainly helpful. I stopped smoking that way.

cheers Iain.

I know several folk who swear by Glucosamine Sulphate for their knee problems so I just looked it up:

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/cam-report/complementary-medicines-for-osteoarthritis/glucosamine.aspx

Looked at the side effects, ummm, best avoided if you are going flamping!

I know several folk who swear by Glucosamine Sulphate for their knee problems so I just looked it up:

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/cam-report/complementary-medicines-for-osteoarthritis/glucosamine.aspx

Looked at the side effects, ummm, best avoided if you are going flamping!

Depends JM the dosage strength! It was a retired painter decorator and a holiday coach driver who goes all over Europe recommended them to me. Yes they can have side effects, just watch the dosage.

Like all meds, if things aint right, stop and seek proper medical advice as they say.

cheers Iain.