Not a fisherman but would welcome any advice

deebee29

Hi I'm not an experienced fisherman (fisherperson to be pc) used to fish at sea & take the catch home to eat but I know rivers are different.

I've bought a basic rod & some floats for our holiday in late September, not worth me spending a lot of money when I'm only on the Broads for 2 weeks a year and one of them is out of season in April.

I know about the license and have that in hand but would appreciate any hints and tips as to what works on the Broads( ie. what methods to use, float, ledger etc & what baits)

I have dabbled in the past and know the basics as to tying hooks etc & also caring for the fish, using a landing net, unhooking mat and all.

Any advice would be gratefully welcomed

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

Well our little Sea Bass was caught on 2 red maggots and a size 14 barbless hook. If your just dabbling like us you will probably just catch the smaller species, unless your specifically targeting the pike its unlikely you would catch one on 2 maggots but that said its not impossible.

We usually use wagler or stick floats on about 5 pound line with 12 14 or 16 hook sizes, ledgering is also good but not much good doing that from a moored boat as you can get false bites if the boat moves slightly.

If you get hooks to nylon and a loop tie er that despenses with the need to tie individual hooks and you can change size easily if your not catching.

We have had some nice roach, skimmers, perch, dace, eel (but they are a pest to unhook). There are some nice size perch and roach around if your lucky! Have fun!

• Like 1

Thanks dnks34

That's pretty much the kit I have.

Stick floats, barbless hooks to nylon.

I don't intend spending the whole week fishing, just want to sit for leisurely hour or so in the evenings when moored up.... Not worried about catching big record breaking fish (although when I tell people what I've caught they will be lol)

My hubby was in a similar position to you David. I don't know much about it but he uses maggots for bait and takes some sweetcorn as a backup in case we're not anywhere that he can re-stock on maggots during the week. 

He has enjoyed fishing so much while we've been on the Broads that he's now joined a local angling club. Oh and that "odd hour or two" has morphed into half the day!

"I'll just have one more cast then come in for tea ...!"  Fish1

• Like 1

Hi Dave

Dnks34's set up is pretty much the same as I use, if you want some decent Perch use worm in the margins or by reeds and lily pads, I usually throw a handful of maggot out to bait the swim (not too much though, don't want to over feed) and remember you don't always have to cast miles out to get a decent fish, above all, don't take it too seriously, enjoy and have fun :wave

Grace

• Like 2

Dave, if your staying south get yourself a couple of heavy waggler floats ( ask in shop. Around 5 AAA shot size ) the heavier you fish the less the flow will affect your float. Fish off the front or back of the boat and not too far out.

I use corn when on the broads as has been said it's a cleaner bait and you do tend to not get the really small fish nibbling your bait.

Most of all sit back and relax and enjoy being there :)

cheers

• Like 1

Nobody seems to mention the ever reliable bread! A good lump of flake will catch roach and bream and even the odd carp if there are any about. I find that the Warburtons orange thick sliced white is best and easiest to use in terms of staying on the hook. Pinch a lump hard and hook through the flat bit!

• Like 3